Royal Ballet Promotions, Leavers, Joiners 2017/2018

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, capybara said:

Unfortunately, it appears not.

OVER THE MOON FOR ALL THE PROMOTEES. CONGRATULATIONS! :D:)

Strange that there is no mention of him (de Primo) as leaving as previous Prix dancers usually get a mention if they are given a contract or if they move on to other companies etc.

Very glad to see that Ben Ella has made it to soloist. He was in the same year in the RBS as Vadim and showed great promise 

as a student, but his subsequent career has been held back by a series of injuries, so it's great to see that he has at last won through.

• Like 5

Delighted to see all the promotions - congratulations to all and so well deserved.  Wonderful to see how Kevin O'Hare and all at the Royal Ballet nurture and reward such talent.

I would just hope that the new Principal Character Artists will continue to have opportunities to delight audiences in a range of roles - for example I'd love to think that we'll see Benn dance Leontes and I still dream that he may reprise Rudolph having missed his earlier performances.

• Like 7

Very pleased with this season's promotions!! Just like everyone else im thrilled to see Naghdi in the highest rank, she doesnt deserve anything less. Also very very happy with Sambé as First Soloist. First noticed him about four years ago, and I remember being aboslutey shocked he was still in the corps de ballet, as I thought hed be soloist at least by the look of his dancing! ive been following his career ever since and this promotion to First Soloist is a huge achievement and well deserved! 

It seems like its over and out for Choe, then. Considering her age I dont think a promotion will be given to her anymore. A pity for us Choe fans, but at least she is properly cast in leading roles! 

Quick question: does anyone happen to know what happened to Rupert Pennefather? He left a few seasons ago and I havent heared anything from him since. Is he officially retired? 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, loveclassics said:

Yes, and the Evening Standard has a paragraph about her too - mainly that's she the first English principal for a while.

Linda

6 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Would that be since Francesca Hayward?

I think that they are speaking of Yasmine having been born in the UK.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, capybara said:

I think that they are speaking of Yasmine having been born in the UK.  

The Evening Standard article: "Yasmine is the first Principal dancer from London in more than 25 years" and the article in The Times: " She is the first Londoner to become a Principal dancer at the Royal Ballet since Darcey Bussell in 1989"

• Like 4

Am I missing something here?  Is there something special about her being a Londoner?

As far as I am concerned, it is far more interesting that we now have two new female principals who have come right the way through the RB school from White Lodge, to join the two existing ones.  

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Am I missing something here?  Is there something special about her being a Londoner?

As far as I am concerned, it is far more interesting that we now have two new female principals who have come right the way through the RB school from White Lodge, to join the two existing ones.  

Hear, hear.  Is Francesca not British, then?

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

I think the point is that this is the London Evening Standard reporting, so they're going to take a London angle.

• Like 1

I too was wondering what I might be missing.  After all, it's not as if we celebrated Lauren Cuthbertson's being the first Devon-born principal since ... Jonathan Cope? ... or Ed Watson being the first Bromley-born one since, I'd guess, Antoinette Sibley (or Lesley Collier if you stretch a point slightly) - not in the national press, anyway.

I also wonder why on earth The Times found it at all necessary to post a picture of her with her boyfriend at all, let alone the one they posted - which looked as though it had been taken from her Facebook account or similar: surely they could have found another professional one somewhere - it's not as if she doesn't have enough of a portfolio already.

4 minutes ago, capybara said:

I would like to think that we can now 'relax' about the newspaper coverage and simply rejoice in, and enjoy, the news of Yasmine's promotion :D

I'm sorry, you must be new to the Internet. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

I think it is just that the Evening Standard is a London newspaper, so they are highlighting the success of a Londoner. 

I was referring to The Times' coverage, though.  I hadn't expected it to be that parochial :)

15 minutes ago, alison said:

I was referring to The Times' coverage, though.  I hadn't expected it to be that parochial :)

Well I suppose London being the capital city does have a certain national significance too... Though I suspect if she'd come from somewhere else that might also have been used as the angle. They just choose a peg to hang the story on and Londoner is as good as any.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

Well I suppose London being the capital city does have a certain national significance too... Though I suspect if she'd come from somewhere else that might also have been used as the angle. They just choose a peg to hang the story on and Londoner is as good as any.

Obviously Worthing doesn't do it for them!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Fonty said:

Fonty, I agree with you but I can't imagine Evening Standard readers getting excited about a headline reading: " Former Junior Associate and ex-White Lodger has been promoted to Principal at The Royal Ballet" :)             WE know it is a big achievement for a White Lodger to become a Principal but the ES readers' attention will be grabbed far more easily by "First Londoner in over 25 years to become a Principal at The Royal Ballet" :) 

Edited by Nina G.
spelling
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, penelopesimpson said:

Obviously Worthing doesn't do it for them!

I'm confident that the Worthing Herald will run a feature as and when the next Worthing dancer is made an RB principal ?

For those of you who saw and enjoyed the lovely Nutcracker programme on TV at Christmas about Francesca Hayward's Sugar Plum Fairy debut, Nadia Mullova-Barley who was chosen as a final year student from the RBS Upper School to perform as a Snowflake, Angel, etc. and was featured in the programme, is joining the RB with the Aud Jebsen group.  I am so happy for her!

Edited by Fiona
wrong spelling of Jebsen!
  • Like 8

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 12:43, Fonty said:

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 13:58, bridiem said:

I think the point is that this is the London Evening Standard reporting, so they're going to take a London angle.

Yes. Plus, it's a London based company. I don't think it's a big deal that they're taking this angle.

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 21:50, Springbourne3 said:

Strange that there is no mention of him (de Primo) as leaving as previous Prix dancers usually get a mention if they are given a contract or if they move on to other companies etc.

Do they? I don't believe Julian MacKay got a mention when he left, he just kind of disappeared and it was later reported on here where he was heading but the RB didn't say anything. 

Shame about Di Primo, I was hoping we would see more of him. I had wondered from the start whether his height might be a problem, but in the end it seems there were not many male contracts available this year anyway. I do hope he is successful in getting a contract elsewhere.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, invisiblecircus said:

Yes. Plus, it's a London based company. I don't think it's a big deal that they're taking this angle.

Do they? I don't believe Julian MacKay got a mention when he left, he just kind of disappeared and it was later reported on here where he was heading but the RB didn't say anything. 

Shame about Di Primo, I was hoping we would see more of him. I had wondered from the start whether his height might be a problem, but in the end it seems there were not many male contracts available this year anyway. I do hope he is successful in getting a contract elsewhere.

4 hours ago, invisiblecircus said:

Yes, I was hoping that too - I guess the lack of contracts is most likely the reason as David Yudes's height did not prevent him getting a permanent contract with the RB.  

• 5 weeks later...