UK Dancewear Shops / Online Suppliers

dancemom2

I am looking for a dancewear/accessories shop in or around Berkshire (preferably closer to Maidenhead/Windsor), as well as a decent UK online supplier.  My Google searches for local shops bring up mostly school uniform providers.

Any recommendations will be much appreciated.  Thanks.

I second Just Ballet! plus Dancia International in Reading ( also Crowthorne and Windsor ) These three are owned by the same family and are all lovely, DD won't go anywhere else for other than Dancia International Reading for Pointe Shoe fitting.

• Like 1

Can't recommend physical shops in the Berkshire area but can highly recommend Just Ballet, Dancique and Dancia.  Just Ballet has an excellent selection of dancewear online, but beware (in a good way) as they carry amazing brands not easily found anywhere else (DD has recently discovered a penchant for French leotards - Degas and Wear Moi, both of which are stocked by Just Ballet).  Sheila is amazingly lovely, so easy to communicate with and always goes above in beyond with customer service.

Dancique and Dancia's websites don't show all their stock online but both are easily contactable via Facebook messenger if you're after anything in particular.  I recently bought uniform bits from Dancique (paid over the phone as I believe they're in Birmingham which is nowhere near us), as well as some Wear Moi leotards and they came pretty much the next day.  Dancia London is also excellent to contact through messenger, they put on hold a couple of hard-to-get-hold-of Mirella leotards for me for a few days until I can get to London to collect them. 

5 hours ago, Pixiewoo said:

My friend recommends 'Dancety' in Fleet in Hampshire ... probably only about 20 mins or so from Windsor.

In case it matters, Fleet is a good 45 mins from Windsor by car unless you get really lucky (I live in one and worked for 14 years just down the road from the other). Hope you don't mind me saying this Pixiewoo, as it may not matter at all to the OP but just in case...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MAK said:

In case it matters, Fleet is a good 45 mins from Windsor by car unless you get really lucky (I live in one and worked for 14 years just down the road from the other). Hope you don't mind me saying this Pixiewoo, as it may not matter at all to the OP but just in case...

No problem at all ... my friend just said she could get to legoland windsor in 20 mins from her house in Fleet ! ? ! 

• Like 1

Legoland Windsor, despite the name, is closer to Ascot so a good ten to fifteen minutes closer to Fleet than Windsor itself is ??

Either way, a good dance shop in Fleet is worth knowing about!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update:  Dancia just opened a new 'Windsor' shop (actually in Datchet) a few days ago.  I haven't yet been because I ended up hitting up the London dance shops, but I might try before we head back to the states just to check out what they have.  Unfortunately, the main item I needed to find while here - JetGlue or its equivalent - apparently isn't sold in dance shops.  The woman at Dancia in London told me they aren't allowed to sell it because doing so requires a license.  

So my question is: what do dancers here use to firm up the box of their shoes?

24 minutes ago, dancemom2 said:

Quick update:  Dancia just opened a new 'Windsor' shop (actually in Datchet) a few days ago.  I haven't yet been because I ended up hitting up the London dance shops, but I might try before we head back to the states just to check out what they have.  Unfortunately, the main item I needed to find while here - JetGlue or its equivalent - apparently isn't sold in dance shops.  The woman at Dancia in London told me they aren't allowed to sell it because doing so requires a license.  

So my question is: what do dancers here use to firm up the box of their shoes?

i suspect the licence   with regard to jet  glue is the fact that   solvents and various of the flammable glues require  various stuff to be in place  before a retailer can stock them 

i suspect that  the local DIY megashed or  if you have a old school hardware  will have a suitable alternative as from what i can see  in termsof  google it;s  just an cyanoacrylate  glue  and the  use of  the term jet glue  is a symptom of the US need to  use trade names  at all times  ( e.g.  tylenol and  advil    rather  than paracetamol / aectawhatever the USAN is for paracetamol and Ibuprofen  - although  Ibuprofen is  bad example as  people  in the UK  still do tend to use the orginally Boots/Crookes  trade name of Brufen)

41 minutes ago, mph said:

i suspect the licence   with regard to jet  glue is the fact that   solvents and various of the flammable glues require  various stuff to be in place  before a retailer can stock them 

i suspect that  the local DIY megashed or  if you have a old school hardware  will have a suitable alternative as from what i can see  in termsof  google it;s  just an cyanoacrylate  glue  and the  use of  the term jet glue  is a symptom of the US need to  use trade names  at all times  ( e.g.  tylenol and  advil    rather  than paracetamol / aectawhatever the USAN is for paracetamol and Ibuprofen  - although  Ibuprofen is  bad example as  people  in the UK  still do tend to use the orginally Boots/Crookes  trade name of Brufen)

Actually, I asked for pointe shoe glue and cyanoacrylate, and the woman in the London shop responded, "JetGlue?"  so apparently it isn't just we ugly Americans who "need" to use trade names.  And although we can find Hot Stuff and one or two non-trade name brands of pointe shoe glue, JetGlue is far and away the most widely available option in the US.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go Hoover my sitting room, then wash the dishes with a bit of Fairy liquid...

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:19, mph said:

At last! A question on here that I can answer!! paracetamol in USA is known as acetaminophen. Probably because its an old well-established API (active pharmaceutical ingredient). More recently discovered drugs have an INN (International Nonproprietary Name) so is the same wherever you go. Anyway enough of the chemistry. Can also recommend Jude at Dancia International for point shoe fitting.

There has been a thread about alternatives to Jet Glue. I'll see if I can find it. I think it is partly a brand issue.

There are other threads if you search under Jet Glue.

Edited by sarahw
Add link