Anyone get No for JA's but make Elmhurst or WL

Any inspiring stories from people never accepted as JA's??? But got to WL or Elmhurst? I think I read 95% accepted into WL are JA's I just like to have a dream!!! Also do the JA's audition along with us normal folk or do they do it separately. Also are all the auditions still at all the JA centres & then finals take place in London??

It's worth remembering that not every talented young dancer is able to apply to be a JA.  There are a variety of reasons why it is not an option available to everyone.  They can still apply for full-time training if they wish to do so.

And it's also probably worth mentioning that there will be 'inspiring stories' from many dancers who did not train at either WL or Elmhurst.  You only have to read the threads on the Forum, to see that the training offered at both of these places does not suit every young person.

• Like 4

DD was RBS and Elmhurst JA but never made final for Yr 7 or 8  at RBS, but got a mids place for yr7 and 8. Made Elmhurst final for yr7 - but had flu, reached final for yr8 and got a place at Elmhurst. 

Don't know why she didn't get final for RBS, but definately think Elmhurst is the best place for her. I do believe those that don't get RBS finals but they want to keep on eye on get the Mids places.

If you don't apply you will never know, and there is no point in guessing what RBS are looking for.

I am a great believer in fate,  enjoy the time you have with dc because it can all change very quickly. It might have been a no this time, but another year can make a big difference.

Only a couple of months till the Rollercoaster starts again.

Xx

7 hours ago, balletcoach said:

JA do audition with everyone else, no really priorities, they even encouraged not to wear their JA uniform,  so not to stress other children and parents.

Interesting - the group of JAs I know were told they had to wear their ja uniform and do their hair in the ja style! Their teacher was also leading the class. 

• Like 4

Hello. I rarely post on here but I did post my daughters (hopefully) inspiring storey a few years ago.

She auditioned twice for JAs and wasn't accepted either time.  When the time came to audition for White Lodge (and she said she wanted to) she got through to finals and was then put on a small waiting list. Unbelievably a place did become available and she's been at RBS for 8 years. She's in graduate year...about to graduate next week and has secured a full contract in a top company in Germany. Hope that gives you inspiration. ?

• Like 44

17 minutes ago, Juliet said:

Hello. I rarely post on here but I did post my daughters (hopefully) inspiring storey a few years ago.

She auditioned twice for JAs and wasn't accepted either time.  When the time came to audition for White Lodge (and she said she wanted to) she got through to finals and was then put on a small waiting list. Unbelievably a place did become available and she's been at RBS for 8 years. She's in graduate year...about to graduate next week and has secured a full contract in a top company in Germany. Hope that gives you inspiration. ?

That is a really inspiring story. Huge congratulations to your dd

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Juliet said:

Congratulations and well done to your daughter. What a wonderful achievement and such a lovely inspiring story about her journey which I'm sure will give a lot of hope to others who have had the 'not this time' results. Wishing her a happy and healthy career.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Juliet said:

That's lovely to hear!  Many congratulations to her.  You can now take a deep breath!!! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Juliet said:

Thank you.  It's not been an easy ride trust me. But we are thrilled with the outcome. 

I do trust you! And I am filled with admiration for you and your dd. My dd did not get JAs either but she is going into full time classical training in September.

My DD did get JA's for three years but didn't get MA's, SA's or Summer School. She did get places at Elmhurst Associates, Tring Classical Academy and Central Associates. 

This year she got finals at all schools she applied for upper school including RBS and she has Summer School there this year too. She will be starting at English National Ballet School in September.

There are many different paths DC's can take, being a RBS Associate is not the be all and end all. Although the three years DD spent as a JA we're very happy.

• Like 15

15 hours ago, Juliet said:

Hi Juliet. I just wanted to say, having read this post earlier today, I went to the RBS showcase this evening at Holland Park and worked out (not on stage, but in the programme listings) exactly which one your daughter must be... narrowed it down to 2 with German contracts on the graduate destinations page, and then to 1 from the fact that she wasn't marked as having been a JA/MA/SA. It was a fabulous showcase without weak links, and therefore, even though I couldn't tell who was who in the Sylphides corps, you should be extremely proud (as I am sure you are).:)

• Like 2

Thankyou RuthE. Actually interestingly enough...whilst your sleuthing may have given you the correct student it isn't quite as simple as that as admin at RBS is not always fab and there is another student who always has an asterisk by her name and has never been an associate in her life!! On this occasion though I think you are correct. It is a shame though that our beautiful graduate year is so under used this year and after 8 years we had hoped to see them in a lot more! Ah well...onwards and upwards!

• Like 2

late to the discussion but I'm sure i have said several times DS got turned down for JAs twice. So whatever they are looking for doesn't necessarily predict future success since DS has now secured a contract with the Bolshoi...

• Like 25

5 hours ago, ArucariaBallerina said:

Leading on from the first question... Has any not got into WL or Elmhurst Lower School but got into their Upper Schools? 

I believe this happens quite often and know of students at Royal upper and Elmhurst upper who didn't get into their lower schools.

• Like 1

My daughter was turned down for JAs two years ago, but this year got to finals for WL (incl. callback), Elmhurst and YDA, and had offers from both Elmhurst and YDA. She is currently on the waiting list for MAs in London.

I know of several JA children who didn't make finals for any of the lower schools, including WL, but who have graduated to MAs. 

Good luck with it all-not only do schools seem to look for different things, children change and improve over time as they develop and grow. 

• Like 4