Press Release: Northern Ballet announces spring 2018 season

Northern Ballet announces spring 2018 season

GetFile?v=1&signature=rm4nAxWlbHQGNyIoPX

Jane Eyre – Leeds, Belfast, Sheffield, Cardiff, London & Salford

A Celebration of Sir Kenneth MacMillan, Master Choreographer – Leeds

The Little Mermaid – Edinburgh, Milton Keynes & Leicester

Northern Ballet’s critically acclaimed Jane Eyre will return for a new UK tour in spring 2018. The Company announced details of its plans for the first half of 2018 which also includes further performances of A Celebration of Sir Kenneth MacMillan, Master Choreographer and the final performances in the world première tour of David Nixon OBE’s The Little Mermaid.

Northern Ballet will open its spring 2018 season with Cathy Marston’s Jane Eyre at Leeds Grand Theatre in March. The first revival since its 2016 world premièreJane Eyre is the ultimate dramatic tale of romance and one woman’s indomitable spiritThis ballet is based on the famous novel by Charlotte Brontë and has been nominated for a South Bank Sky Arts Award this yearJane Eyre will also tour to Belfast, Sheffield, Cardiff, London and Salford between April and June 2018. 

Also at Leeds Grand Theatre, Northern Ballet will perform A Celebration of Sir Kenneth MacMillan, Master Choreographer for three performances only from 16 – 17 March 2018. Featuring three works by the esteemed Kenneth MacMillan; ConcertoLas Hermanas and Gloriathis a rare opportunity for northern audiences to see these heritage works.

With performances in Edinburgh, Milton Keynes and Leicester between March and May 2018, Northern Ballet will conclude the first national tour of its newest full-length ballet The Little Mermaid. Set in an ethereal underwater world of a young mermaid, the ballet is based on the original fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen and features an original score by Sally BeamishThe Little Mermaid is due to première later in 2017.

For more information, on sale dates and booking details for performances until June 2018, see northernballet.com/whatson.

GetFileExtended?v=1_AMP_signature=rm4nAx   GetFileExtended?v=1_AMP_signature=rm4nAx

-ENDS-

Notes to Editors

Spring 2018 Tour Dates

Jane Eyre

Leeds Grand Theatre

7 – 14 March 2018

Box Office 0844 848 2700*

leedsgrandtheatre.com

On general sale 12 July 2017

Belfast Grand Opera House

4 – 7 April 2018

Box Office 028 9024 1919

goh.co.uk

On general sale September 2017

Sheffield Lyceum Theatre

10 – 14 April 2018

Box Office 0114 249 6000

sheffieldtheatres.co.uk

On general sale September 2017

Cardiff New Theatre

24 – 28 April 2018

Box Office 029 2087 8889

newtheatrecardiff.co.uk

On general sale September 2017

London Sadler’s Wells

15 – 19 May 2018

Box Office 020 7863 8000

sadlerswells.com

On general sale November 2017

Salford The Lowry

6 – 9 June 2018

Box Office 0843 208 6000

thelowry.com

On general sale 7 July 2017

A Celebration of Sir Kenneth MacMillan, Master Choreographer

Leeds Grand Theatre

16 – 17 March 2018

Box Office 0844 848 2700*

leedsgrandtheatre.com

On general sale 12 July 2017

The Little Mermaid

Edinburgh Festival Theatre

22 – 24 March 2018

Box Office 0131 529 6000

edtheatres.com

On general sale 5 July 2017

Milton Keynes Theatre

17 – 21 April 2018

Box Office 0844 871 7652*

atgtickets.com/MiltonKeynes

On general sale 12 July 2017

Leicester Curve

1 – 5 May 2018

Box Office 0116 242 3595

curveonline.co.uk

On sale soon

*Calls cost 7p per minute plus your phone company’s access charge.

Northern Ballet

Artistic Director – David Nixon OBE

Northern Ballet is one of the UK’s leading ballet companies and the widest touring ballet company in the UK. Bold and innovative in its approach, Northern Ballet is prolific at creating new full-length work with a unique blend of strong classical technique and world-class storytelling. Northern Ballet’s repertoire embraces popular culture and takes inspiration from literature, legend, opera and the classics, pushing the boundaries of what stories can be told through dance.

A champion for the cultural exports of the North, Leeds-based Northern Ballet is dedicated to bringing world-class story ballets to as many people and places as possible, under the leadership of Artistic Director David Nixon OBE. Northern Ballet’s Company of 47 dancers performs a combination of its full-length ballets and specially created ballets for children at almost 50 venues annually.

Northern Ballet have been nominated in the Dance category at this year’s South Bank Sky Arts Awards for Jane Eyre. The Company were the winners of this category in 2016 for their ground-breaking adaptation of George Orwell’s 1984.

For more details of Northern Ballet's tour, on sale dates and booking information, please visit northernballet.com/whatson

National Tour Sponsor

GetFile?v=1&signature=rm4nAxWlbHQGNyIoPX

Main image: Javier Torres as Mr Rochester and Victoria Sibson as Bertha in Jane Eyre. Photo Emma Kauldhar.

Other images: The Little Mermaid, photo Guy Farrow. A Celebration of Sir Kenneth MacMillan, photo Guy Farrow.

Really looking forward to seeing Jane Eyre: it's great that it's touring so widely.  It does leave me with a dilemma though: whether to travel to Leeds for a few days and combine it with the Macmillan programme, or head to Bradford for Macmillan and catch JE in London or Cardiff.  I don't know the Bradford or Leeds theatres: is there a preference?

• Like 1

The only thing about the trip to Leeds is that I think that there is a "dark day" in between the final Jane Eyre and the Macmillan programme.

I prefer the Alhambra in Bradford but Leeds as a city to visit.  There may be something on at WYP to fill the "dark day".

(Of course, if you have any spare time Saltaire is just down the road from Bradford - very easily reached by bus or train from the interchange.)

Thank you! I have friends about an hour away from the area so I'm not too worried about the dark day, but I'm quite happy to give Bradford a try too. Since it's so finely balanced I suppose another question is, where would NB appreciate my presence more?