Help! Iphone dropped in water

taxi4ballet

Please can anyone advise what dd can do with her I-Phone, she managed to drop it in water earlier. She fished it out quickly, and has taken the sim card out of the slot in the side, but we can't get the back off or open it up to get to the battery. There seems to be a tiny hole with a miniscule screw, but we haven't got a screwdriver that small. We've put the phone in a dish of dry rice.

Does anyone have any suggestions what else to do?

Oh no. I put son's brand new phone in washing machine with his bedding. Heard a clung, thought machine had developed a fault and saw phone going round in the drum. Found out drainage button means machine still rotates whilst water drains! We dried it in a zip lock bag with silica gel sachets. I think you can try using a hair dryer on cool air setting too. 

We left it longer than the recommended 24 hours as it had such an immersion and it was fine. 

Fingers crossed it is ok. 

• Like 1

I got caught in a torrential downpour in St Petersburg last year; everything was drenched (I looked like I'd gone swimming in my clothes), including the contents of my bag, which included my Iphone.  It totally froze, so I couldn't even turn it off.  There was no Apple store in St Petersburg, and I did not want to risk an off-label repair, so I left it untouched (did not know the rice trick and no one I asked told me about it).  Eventually the battery wore down, and to my delight, I was able to turn it on again after 2-3 days.  I took it in to the Apple store when i got home to have them check it for me, and it was fine.  So good luck and don't give up hope!

those little white packs of 'beads' you get amongst the packaging in most electronics these days, are particularly good for this sort of thing. Always worth putting them aside in a cool, dry spot in an airtight container ready for such emergencies

• Like 4

2 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

those little white packs of 'beads' you get amongst the packaging in most electronics these days, are particularly good for this sort of thing. Always worth putting them aside in a cool, dry spot in an airtight container ready for such emergencies

Yes, the beads are silica gel and will do a good job if they have been kept dry before use.

taxi - been there done that with all 3 of my DC with various phones/electronic devices - in the bath/washing machine/sea. The rice has worked every time - though it does need to be a warm place. Our worst one was on top of the radiator for 3 days before it was totally clear. The phone itself worked again before that but there was misting inside the screen so it was clearly not fully dried out yet. so persevere even if it is longer than a day or two.

• Like 3

Apparently plugging it in to charge is a no-no....DD's friend thought she had dried her phone completely using the rice trick but charging it was the last straw, she was told. 

She would suggest taking it to an Apple store before trying to do anything at all other than drying it out, just in case. 

• Like 1