Hi all,

All my ballet kit is sorted for my Moorland Associates programme from September, but also on the list it asks for Contemporary tights, Character/Spanish skirt and Character/Spanish shoes. I wondered whether any of you experienced, lovely people had any recommendations for brands, style and such like? How does sizing work? And for the shoes, is it best to have low or high heel? For ballet shoes I wear size 2, for outdoor shoes I wear 2.5 and for tap shoes I wear size 3, so what size would character shoes be? My parents would like to allow me as much growing room as possible as they cost quite a bit, but obviously buying too big would be uneconomical too.

thank you in advance,

Love ArucariaBallerina :D

You could try Dancing Boutique, they provide uniform for lots of dance schools and they supply Flamenco skirts and shoes for Elmhurst students. Not sure if it's exactly a flamenco style skirt you are looking for, but I seem to recall that Dancing Boutique make them to measure. I imagine they may also be able to advise on shoes that are suitable for flamenco and won't damage dancefloors. I'm afraid I can't recall what these items cost. You could also post in the 'Wanted' section in Doing Dance as someone may have these items for sale second hand. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ArucariaBallerina said:

My parents would like to allow me as much growing room as possible as they cost quite a bit, but obviously buying too big would be uneconomical too.

thank you in advance,

Either a half or a full insole or both allow you to buy a bigger size of shoe - you then take then out in whatever order you need.  Worked well for us when we were given a lovely handed down pair of character shoes, as long as they faster well enough for them to be comfortable round the foot.

Thank you everybody, but I have actually found everything today! Really thank you though! On the way to BRB workshop we stopped off at Dancique- my new favourite dance shop!- and found everything we could ever want! (Definitely recommend, both the BRB workshop and Dancique!) 

• Like 4

Re the contemporary tights, we bought black footlesss tights (60 denier) from Primark for £1:50 each. They were in the tights aisle but were all rolled up like a little sausage with a cardboard ( think it was mainly blue) roll around the outside which said footless leggings ( they are most definitely more of a tight than a legging) ideal, I'm told and a fraction of the cost of any dance shop! 

• Like 3