ROH Mitridate

Geoff

Just back from today's dress rehearsal of Mozart's Mitridate. No comments of course but I think it fair to say that Graham Vick's highly stylised production, first seen in 1991, looks bright and fresh and classy, particularly when one compares with many other "modern" opera productions we have had since.

So if you've never seen it, please consider going. 

Fabulous cast indeed, Lucy Crowe goes from strength to strength and stole the show as Ismene earning herself a deafening ovation at the end, and Bejun Mehta as Farnace brought tears to my eyes in his final aria of heartfelt remorse.

I've always liked this very original production, but last night's audience found everything funny and frequently ruined the atmosphere with inappropriate laughter, there was also a great deal of heavy object dropping, whispering, coughing and fidgeting, the worse audience I've encountered in an age.

Early Mozart is criminally neglected, I'd give a lot to hear Ascanio in Alba in a major house.

• Like 1

Thoroughly enjoyed this on Thursday. I loved the stylised movements, the costumes kept reminding me of Meissen 'Oriental' figures. Lucy  Crowe was outstanding, both vocally and dramatically, and I loved Bejun Mehta, what a lovely voice. I don't think we had inappropriate laughter, more giggles at some of the subtitles.  It we did get very enthusiastic applause. Not a bad opera for a 14 year old!

On 6/27/2017 at 11:00, MAB said:

Fabulous cast indeed, Lucy Crowe goes from strength to strength and stole the show as Ismene earning herself a deafening ovation at the end, and Bejun Mehta as Farnace brought tears to my eyes in his final aria of heartfelt remorse.

I've always liked this very original production, but last night's audience found everything funny and frequently ruined the atmosphere with inappropriate laughter, there was also a great deal of heavy object dropping, whispering, coughing and fidgeting, the worse audience I've encountered in an age.

Early Mozart is criminally neglected, I'd give a lot to hear Ascanio in Alba in a major house.

You may be right, but quite a few tickets didn't sell and I noticed they were discounting