Enb - roster changes?

45 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I've just noticed that Juan Rodrigues is no longer listed on the roster so I checked his twitter account.  It looks as though he retired at the beginning of June.

I first saw Juan Rodrigues dance the lead role in Peter Schaufuss' The King at Sadler's Wells quite a few years ago and I've always enjoyed his performances.  Very best wishes to Juan for the future.

Juan danced his last show as the Pasha's Assistant in Le Corsaire in Poland in early May.

7 hours ago, Darlex said:

The most worrying trend at ENB in recent years, in my opinion, is not rate of turnover or number of guest artists, but the fact that at least one dancer I can think of (no names) at mid-rank has actually been demoted to artist level...........

I can think of one such dancer who is also listed as a member of staff with a very specific function in the organisation, so his career is moving on as his dancing winds down.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would bump up this thread as the ENB season is close to the end, the O/P's original number of twelve leavers has increased to eighteen and we should be getting official confirmation of moves very soon, some are already on social media I believe.

like any job there a pushes and pulls 

if the pulls from elsewhere are strong  enough  you'll move , whether it;s  pay  , your  'rank' / 'grade'  ( and  subtle gradiations within  that)  or other  terms and condtions ... 

if the pushes are strong enough you'll seek the opportunties elsewhere even if it means losing  pay  or status  - if it means you have a better work / life ballance  , if  it means you feel happeir   etc etc 

Also  someotimes  you  don;t 'fit'  -   i had a job  a  good few years ago, I got on with the management, i got on with colleagues,  i did the job perfectly  adequately, but it  didn;t ' fit'   , so   management and I chalked it up to experience  for both of us and  i moved on  with their full blessings and support  having 'ticked off'  working in that  particualr  environment as  part of  my wider development  ... 

• Like 1

Eighteen is a huge number. I only know of three. Does this number include dancers who have left at any stage during the current season? I know that there can be 'bunching' in departures from any organisation but eighteen seems a worryingly large number. I appreciate that running a ballet company is very challenging but IMO TR needs to focus more on dancer development and company structure. I'll be interested to see the list of leavers from which I might form some more conclusions (although this might be risky!)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, aileen said:

Does this number include dancers who have left at any stage during the current season? I know that there can be 'bunching' in departures from any organisation but eighteen seems a worryingly large number.

Yes, it's leavers in the current season. ENB has had a large turnover since TR became director, almost half the company has left since then.

4 minutes ago, MAB said:

Yes, it's leavers in the current season. ENB has had a large turnover since TR became director, almost half the company has left since then.

I so wish we knew ... so we could pay them all a respectful 'good bye' with our mind's eye while we are all enjoying the R&J.  That's hard to do after the fact.  As has been said, of course, a few have been identified on social media or Company announcements.  

Edited by Bruce Wall