Renaissance Arts Scholars

Pixiewoo

DD has been offered a place on the Renaissance Arts Scholars scheme in Leeds.

Has anyone else's DD's or DS's attended and what was their experience like?

DD is very excited and very keen, but in that the lessons are on a sunday afternoon, it is majorly going to curtail her performance opportunities, as they always rehearse sunday afternoons! I want to support her in everything she wants to do, but it needs to be worth it! ( She auditioned more for the experience, than for getting a place! She was quite shocked to get in, as although she got through to the 2nd round, she was sure she wouldn't get in )  Very difficult decision to make.

Thanks x

Edited by Pixiewoo
  • Like 1

Well done to your DD. I've heard really good things about them and it sounds fantastic, although I don't have any personal experience. My dd was going to audition but she's been given a place on the CAT scheme at Northern so we withdrew her application.

Good luck in your decisions. 

• Like 1

Yes, my dd (you know the one Pixiewoo!) did this last year for a year. She found it to be really worthwhile. The ballet classes, in particular, were excellent. The woman that teaches the jazz is very strict and shouts a lot, and her feedback is blunt to the point of rudeness at times which isn’t to everyone’s liking, but in terms of quality of training no complaints! There are some excellent dancers on the course (some that you will recognise from local comps). They are more understanding than most associate schemes about absences to attend comps and the like, although you still have to pay of course. Dd would still be doing Scholars if she hadn’t been offered a place on the Northern Ballet CAT, but 4 days a week at Northern, plus still doing 1 evening at local dance school, is enough for us! Anything else, feel free to PM. Congratulations on the offer!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueLou said:

Yes, my dd (you know the one Pixiewoo!) did this last year for a year. She found it to be really worthwhile. The ballet classes, in particular, were excellent. The woman that teaches the jazz is very strict and shouts a lot, and her feedback is blunt to the point of rudeness at times which isn’t to everyone’s liking, but in terms of quality of training no complaints! There are some excellent dancers on the course (some that you will recognise from local comps). They are more understanding than most associate schemes about absences to attend comps and the like, although you still have to pay of course. Dd would still be doing Scholars if she hadn’t been offered a place on the Northern Ballet CAT, but 4 days a week at Northern, plus still doing 1 evening at local dance school, is enough for us! Anything else, feel free to PM. Congratulations on the offer!

thank you! :)

I think my DD saw your DD going to CAT when it was audition day!  I'll tell her that your DD did it! :D

I'm not worried about a bit of shouting or blunt feedback - as long as it is constructive!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi PixieWoo,

My 11 year old DD is starting the RA scholars next month too. She can't wait as she loved the audition and was very pleased to get accepted after *only* getting on the reserve list for Northern Ballet associates (her words not mine)!

Have you had any info yet? I had the contract through a while ago just after her acceptance email but have heard nothing since?

Sparkly x

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sparkly said:

Hi PixieWoo,

My 11 year old DD is starting the RA scholars next month too. She can't wait as she loved the audition and was very pleased to get accepted after *only* getting on the reserve list for Northern Ballet associates (her words not mine)!

Have you had any info yet? I had the contract through a while ago just after her acceptance email but have heard nothing since?

Sparkly x

Hello! 

Nope ... not a word! Although we did see and chat to them at Can You Dance. I had already sent a reply back accepting the place. They just said they were looking forward to seeing DD in September. 

I have a reminder to pay fees on my calendar! 

DD can't wait, and is also doing the vocal class. Think I'll be taking a good book! 

😆 X

Edited by Pixiewoo

• 3 weeks later...