MacMillan clash ROH November 1st?

With the opening up of other venues and a general expansion of programming, the ROH has in recent years increased the likelihood of scheduling clashes (if you want to see this, you won't be able to see this other thing). But I have never found any such to be a real problem, thanks no doubt to imaginative planning by ROH.

However I have just found one in the autumn season which seems perverse. On November 1st ROH are giving one of only three performances of MacMillan's rare ballet Sea Of Troubles. This starts at 6.30pm in the Clore. But at 6pm we are also invited to a one-off Insight at the Swiss Church where "Prominent interpreters of Kenneth MacMillan’s groundbreaking ballet discuss his influence on their lives and careers".

Both of these would seem to appeal to just about exactly the same people. The solution is presumably to go to a different night of Sea Of Troubles (assuming one can get a ticket) but the scheduling still seems odd to me. Congratulations on hosting Insights at the Swiss Church though, as that seems likely to make it easier to get tickets.

Edited by Geoff

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

All of the Swiss Church insights clash with something in the Clore

Indeed. Incidentally there is a hint that setting up this series of Insights - MacMillan & Me - has not been plain sailing. In the magazine they are not detailed, but shown only as "Details will be published". The published start date is given as 18 October, whereas in the event they now start on October 26. So probably all a bit last minute.

Perhaps I am being unnecessarily picky. But as the department responsible spelled their star guest Jonas Kaufmann's name three different ways on just a couple of pages of an Insight programme, each time incorrectly, I wonder if they are completely on top of things. Are they still called Education? 

On 22/06/2017 at 08:42, Bruce Wall said:

Had to laugh.  I came in last night from the opening performance of this new production 'Otello' - a generally fine one, well done by all - to turn on the BBC's Newsnight - only to find the last seconds of a feature on Jonas Kaufmann.  I pushed the 'info' button and a list of that evening's guests came up in the BBC listing.  They had him down as 'Yonas Kaufman'!! :)   Bet you anything he's used to it ... and, hey, as long as they get it right on the cheque ... or .. erm ... electronic transfer :)

19 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

I have tickets for the 10th?  Is he great?  The reviews are a tad mixed?

18 hours ago, Geoff said:

He's great-ish, in that the quiet passages show JK as great as he always been, whereas the high volume sections (of which there are some notorious examples in this part) suggest the voice changed during last year's trouble (it's all there, don't get me wrong, just not as blazing as it was, compare e.g. that Parsifal at the Met).

Shouldn't we do this on the opera part of the Forum though?!

Leaving these here, and will transfer the originals into the thread which Penelope has now opened in the Opera forum: