Thoughts for the People of Finsbury Park

Jan McNulty

Not that it in any way diminishes the repugnance of the perpetrator's crime, but current reports seem to suggest that we should be wary of using the term "terrorism" to describe it.

As if London's Muslim community hasn't already suffered enough this last week :(  I fear this may only lead to more reprisals.

• Like 1

but current reports seem to suggest that we should be wary of using the term "terrorism" to describe it.

I understand that the press can't call the perpetrator a terrorist (although we know he is) because he will be standing trial. In other attacks, the attackers themselves have died as part of their murder plans. 

We have to remember, though, that there is still more danger in driving a car, than from terrorist incidents. But of course, it doesn't feel like that, as it's only rarely that drivers use their cars as weapons with a deadly intent.

8 hours ago, Kate_N said:

I understand that the press can't call the perpetrator a terrorist (although we know he is) because he will be standing trial. In other attacks, the attackers themselves have died as part of their murder plans. 

We have to remember, though, that there is still more danger in driving a car, than from terrorist incidents. But of course, it doesn't feel like that, as it's only rarely that drivers use their cars as weapons with a deadly intent.

Let's remember that this matter is sub judice and that the determination as to whether or not the perpetrator is a terrorist will be made by a jury.

• Like 2

I have a number of friends on Facebook who I added for games so I don't know them personally - so there's a large range of political and religious beliefs there.

Yesterday I unfriended three of them who were gloating about this attack and saying straight out that they hoped it was the first of many because the only good Muslim is a dead Muslim. This is so utterly sickening. It makes me wonder what we've come to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Melody said:

I have a number of friends on Facebook who I added for games so I don't know them personally - so there's a large range of political and religious beliefs there.

Yesterday I unfriended three of them who were gloating about this attack and saying straight out that they hoped it was the first of many because the only good Muslim is a dead Muslim. This is so utterly sickening. It makes me wonder what we've come to.

Depressing stuff.  It just goes to show that bigotry and irrational hatred are more than one-sided.  At one time people with such views would only be able to share them with like-minded friends.  Now it seems anyone can boast of attitudes on social media that would have them hauled up before the beak if they said the same thing in public.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alison said:

Disgusting, but very little on Twitter surprises me these days :(

Were they British, American or other?

Far as I can gather, British.

I'm sure I can survive playing Family Farm without them.

• Like 1