Birmingham Royal Ballet - Coppelia - Summer 2017

When I saw Coppelia listed as part of the 2016/17 season I wasn't overly thrilled as we have had the production within the last couple of years and I always think "oh no Coppelia again".  Then it comes around to seeing it and I fall in love with it all over again!

Sir Peter Wright's traditional production is just gorgeous and it suits BRB down to the ground!

I saw two sparkling performances on Thursday.

At the matinee we were treated to a lovely, warm performance by the always delightful Arancha Baselga.  Making his debut as Franz was Max Maslen, who could only be described as terrific!  Together they were sublime.  Valentin Olovyannikov brought a quirky eccentricity to the role of Dr Coppelius.  I must mention Alys Shee who was a very sultry and alluring Gypsy - no wonder Franz momentarily had his head turned!  What can I say other than that I had a huge silly grin on my face for the whole afternoon.

The evening saw Momoko Hirata, Tzu-Chao Chou and Rory Mackay in the same roles.  Just WOW - Momoko really is MOMOKO THE MAGNIFICENT!!!  Not only was she technically dazzling but she really got into the bones of Swanhilda.  Tzu-Chao danced with élan and enthusiasm and was every inch a cheeky chappy Franz.  Mathias Dingman was also dazzling as the lead in Call to Arms.

I thought the whole Company looked really on the ball and as though a lot of attention has been paid to all the little details.  Sadly I couldn't see any of the other casts in Birmingham but I have heard that Nao Sakuma and Joe Called set the stage alight!  I am looking forward to one more performance in Bristol.

• Like 4

I saw it Friday night with Nao Sakuma and Joe Caley. Nao Sakuma is always fab to watch, but I think Swanhilda is her best roll. Both turned it to 11 and yet the made it look so effortless. Michael O'Hare gives a good turn as Dr Coppelius. 

• Like 2

I saw the Thursday matinee and was very impressed indeed with Max Maslen and the girl who danced Prayer (sorry, my programme is not to hand and I have forgotten hr name).  I don't know the BRB dancers very well, but I thought the whole company were splendid.  I haven't seen the traditional Coppelia for many years and I loved the whole thing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jm365 said:

I saw the Thursday matinee and was very impressed indeed with Max Maslen and the girl who danced Prayer (sorry, my programme is not to hand and I have forgotten hr name).  I don't know the BRB dancers very well, but I thought the whole company were splendid.  I haven't seen the traditional Coppelia for many years and I loved the whole thing.

The dancer was Brooke Ray, relatively new but considered to have much promise

• Like 1

22 hours ago, nottsballetlover said:

Coppelia was lovely yesterday matinee. Samara Downs gorgeous, Mattias Dingman equally so. Joy. Roll on my mini break to Bristol. 

I couldn't agree more about the Saturday matinee - well worth the trip from York!  It didn't occur to me until I was on the way home that the last Coppelia I saw was a 1980s London Festival Ballet production, also at the Hippodrome.

• Like 2

Hi all! Haven't posted for a while, but just wanted to say hello! If anyone is going to the matinee or the company class at Bristol Hippodrome on Saturday and would like to say hello, I'm always happy to meet fellow ballet fans. :) 

• Like 3

I'm just home from a very long day trip to Bristol to see the matinee of Coppelia.

Was it worth it?  OH YES IT WAS!!!

What a joyous performance it was with Maureya Lebowitz' sassy Swanhilda and a debut from Lachlan Monaghan as Franz.  Maureya's dancing was just so crisp and clearly defined and she acted the role beautifully.  Lachlan inhabited the role of Franz.  Their interaction was terrific and Lachlan's solos dazzled.

Alys Shee was a very sultry Gypsy but then contrasted that role completely with a lovely performance as Dawn.  Tzu-Chao Chou fizzed as the lead in Call to Arms - he really is a pocket rocket.  The whole company looked on fabulous form.

It was one of those afternoons with magic dust in the air!

The silly grin spread across my face throughout the whole performance has lasted all the way home and is still in place as I write this!

• Like 5

I was also at Thurs matinee with Lebowitz and Monaghan which Janet has described, I also saw the evening performance with Arantxa Baselga and Max Maslen as the leads.

I'll not add much to what Janet has said about the matinee (I was a bit flustered and tired after an early start and delays travelling and don't think I was in the best mood to appreciate). The main reason for travelling was to see Lebowitz, who I am on a bit of a quest to see more of, having noticed the quality of her dancing as the Bluebird in Sleeping Beauty some years ago (this year I have also travelled to Sunderland to see her lead Cinderella and thought she was great in that). I have seen this Coppellia once in 2015 at the Lowry, Salford, with the wonderful Elisha Willis as Swanhilda, and loved it. With Willis - a favourite of mine - now retired, I am on the lookout for other dancers to 'follow', and there is something so appealing about Lebowitz's style. Despite my grumpy mood I could see she delivered a fairly faultless performance and really suits the role - I will just mention her final manege of pique turns in the galop final I admired very much, full of energy and speed, almost making the turns into jetes. The other highlight for me was the slow pas de deux just before galop final, very beautiful and moving and both Lebowitz and Monaghan to be equally admired in it. Should also mention the upper circle where I had booked a ticket was closed and I was reallocated ('upgraded') to the rear of the grand circle, but I'm not sure the seat was better, in my opinion.

After a nap in my hotel I was much better placed to enjoy the evening performance with Baselga and Maslen. This time I was in my chosen seat, front row, upper circle, and despite the crampedness I think it's a great seat in the Bristol Hippodrome, as others have mentioned on the forum the Bristol pit is not really a pit and the view and sound of the orchestra is wonderful from there. You seemed to be placed right about the music and the dancing and I feel get a much more intimate view of the whole proceedings unlike the rear grand circle. I appreciated fully all the aspects of this masterpiece Coppelia that first struck me when I saw it in 2015, and I must say the level of technical and dramatic assurance of Baselga and Maslen was top notch as far as I am concerned. Baselga performed all the technical steps with aplomb including the unsupported 'looking glass' promenade in arabesque in Act II with particularly deep forward penchee to finish.  The slow Act III pas de deux was again a thing of breathtaking beauty, and the following solos/codas all delivered with flair and joy by Maslen/Baselga. What a splendid, thrilling, charming creation Act III is with the wonderful ensembles of the Hours and the Call to Arms (these elicited spontaneous applause Thurs eve) and the Dawn and Prayer variations, danced with typical majesty and finesse by the great Celine Gittens, and serenity and grace by Yiging Zhang.

Joyous I think is exactly the right word, I very much agree with Janet and nottsballetlover. It would be so interesting to see Gittens as Swanhilda - at the moment I have a such a strong image of seeing her and Tyrone Singleton as Odette/Odile and Siegfried, it's difficult to imagine them in such different roles (though I did see Gittens as Skinny in Cinderella) - I would be very interested to hear of your thoughts on their performance on Sat nottsballetlover.

Edited by northstar
  • Like 6

Loved Coppelia yesterday

Lachlan was amazing as was his swanhilda. I payed £4 plus £1.90 in addition to my £14.50 cheap upper circle ticket - ouch nearly 45% on top of advertised ticket price! Daylight robbery!! However hey did indeed not open upper circle so i had a lovely upgrade to 2nd row grand circle Thank you. It does make my blood boil that they put people off by these high charges so half empty theatre - better charge 50% less to get 50% bigger house

• Like 5

Just back from Coppelia tonight. Very good. Got a top ticket for £25 including Ambassador Lounge access with a free drink. So very happy. Yes empty seats but enthusiastic audience. Momoko Hirato just beautiful as Swanilda, Tzu Chi Chou a very cheeky Franz but my stand out was William Bracewell as Call to Arms lead he was just fabulous.

Music glorious all in all a good night.

• Like 6

Just seen today's matinee of Coppelia and gosh was it superb. Simply dazzling and brought tears of happiness to my eyes! Combination of the uplifting Delibes score, played superbly by RB Sinfonia, and the brilliant dancing from the whole cast made this really delightful.  Swanilda & Franz were danced by Maureen Lebowitz and Lachlan Monaghan and wow, they were both fantastic in these roles!! Call to Arms lead was Tzu-Chao Chou & during the whole of that section I almost stopped breathing: thought he mught go into orbit at one point!!

Audience pretty good in terms of numbers, good many in the stalls on their feet applauding at the end, me included!

Magical, dazzling end to the BRB season. Not quite the end though: one more performance tonight!! I'm downing coffee in my hotel room ahead of that!!

Edited by nottsballetlover
  • Like 6

18 minutes ago, cavycapers said:

Just on way home from the evening performance.  Who was the lead call to arms dancer?  He was stunning!

Will Bracewell in his last performance with BRB before joining RB. He was utterly stunning. I started crying after that bit and still too emotional to post...Obviously wish him well in new company but will miss him at BRB. Harder for me to get to London...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, cavycapers said:

DQ Fan, where did you find special offer?  I looked all over but couldn't find any.  Was also well miffed at paying £4.50 for a small tub f ice cream ?

Utterly shocking prices for drinks etc. £9 for a glass of wine? I just had their free water.....?

• Like 2

Usually, NBL, I walk to the Coop on the corner a few shops down (Bristol Hippo is good for that) and buy a tub of their Sicilian Lemon icecream for £1.00 and eat it outside, but I had an ex with me and didn't want to look mean!  Aprpopos of which, he wanted a glass of wine, and one for the interval, so the barman said it was another glass free when you bought two, so i said, we'll have that then (as me ex had bought the tickets) and it was £21!  You need a drink after that...  actually, got me own back, as bought tickets at back of grand circle and moved forward when lights went down, as it was so empty! (So did most people, I'm surprised the balcony didn't collapse...)

Edited by cavycapers
  • Like 2

On 30/06/2017 at 19:53, northstar said:

Joyous I think is exactly the right word, I very much agree with Janet and nottsballetlover. It would be so interesting to see Gittens as Swanhilda - at the moment I have a such a strong image of seeing her and Tyrone Singleton as Odette/Odile and Siegfried, it's difficult to imagine them in such different roles (though I did see Gittens as Skinny in Cinderella) - I would be very interested to hear of your thoughts on their performance on Sat nottsballetlover.

We saw them on Wednesday and they were absolutely fabulous. Celine sparkled in every way. She was totally in the character of Swanhilda and threw in some fantastic spins and balances along the way. In fact I enjoyed her Swanhilda more then the wonderful Momoka Hirata on Friday night, and I never thought I would be saying that! To quote the local press review 'Principal dancer Celine Gittens is incredibly well-suited to the lead role of Swanilda. At times she is petulant and precocious, at others bubbly and girlish. She sasses the wayward Franz (Tyrone Singleton) and playfully mocks the aged Dr Coppelius (Michael O’Hare)'

Tyrone was also on top form and responded with a cracking performance and Mathias Dingman also deserves a mention for his superb spins in Call to Arms.

Comparing the two evenings, I thought the orchestra under Paul Murphy on Wednesday gave a better rendition of the music than under Phillip Ellis on Friday. Slightly longer, more dramatic pauses in the music made a world of difference, enabling the dancers to hold their poses at key points. Also Michael O Hare was a more sinister Dr Coppelius than the more cartoon character of Rory Mackay on Friday.

Having said that, both performances were thoroughly enjoyable and we left with huge grins both nights. I can only apologise that my local theatre is shabby and very overpriced. No wonder they cannot fill the seats (although Wednesday was much busier than Friday). I think the trick is to get last minute tickets in person at the box office if you want to get special deals. There were certainly none in the local press. Such a shame. It is wonderful not to have to travel to London or Birmingham see the ballet, but companies will not bother coming to Bristol if the theatre is consistently half empty.

• Like 7

I thought Tyrone Singleton & Celine Gittens were utterly fantastic last night as Franz & Swanilda.  Technically brilliant and also superbly acted all the way through! I just love this Peter Wright version of Coppelia and glad I saw 3 different casts. It keeps up momentum all the way through with some showstopping and breathtaking pieces! I love the staging and think the dolls in Act 2 are amazing- no idea how the dancers stay that still for so long! The mime is so clear, anyone can follow the story. 

In last night's performance,  as well as the leads, Michael O'Hare was a superb Dr Coppelius; Miki Mizutami a sparkling Dawn; and  I loved the beautiful lyrical Prayer solo by Yijing Zhang.  As for Call to Arms led by William Bracewell, I don't have sufficient adjectives!!! I just hope he achieves his full potential with the Royal Ballet that he so deserves. Having seen his debut as Romeo,  I can easily see him in Manon and Onegin and more.....He's up on the casting to do a couple of Nutcrackers this year.

Glad I made it to Bristol. Well worth the journey from Nottingham and overnight stay. Hope BRB are going again next year. Btw, audiences there for the BRB week were 60% of the house, according to the orchestra leader Robert Gibbs, who was chatting to a couple sitting next to me in one of the intervals. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Two Pigeons said:

If Will Bracewell isn't cast as Des Grieux this time round it can only be a matter of time.  I think he is born to do so many of the Dowell roles.

Not disagreeing but don't lose sight of the fact that the RB already has a number of other young dancers eagerly waiting in the Des Grieux queue.

20 hours ago, cavycapers said:

DQ Fan, where did you find special offer?  I looked all over but couldn't find any.  Was also well miffed at paying £4.50 for a small tub f ice cream ?

I just asked at the Box Office on the night.

23 hours ago, cavycapers said:

Was also well miffed at paying £4.50 for a small tub f ice cream ?

Assuming those were the Loseleys, they're actually distinctly large.  ATG also provide the smaller Beechdean ones for £3 (assuming they haven't gone up), but you have to hunt for them (Dress Circle in Wimbledon, if anyone's interested - just thought I'd save anyone else having to go all round the theatre :) ).  At Wimbledon I've pointed out several times that I am *not* going to pay more for an ice cream in a theatre than I can pay to eat one in Pizza Express across the road :)

23 hours ago, nottsballetlover said:

Utterly shocking prices for drinks etc. £9 for a glass of wine? I just had their free water.....?

Again, experience at Wimbledon, but I didn't think the fruit juices were unreasonable.  I'm assuming the prices are more or less the same nationwide.

10 hours ago, Two Pigeons said:

If Will Bracewell isn't cast as Des Grieux this time round it can only be a matter of time.  I think he is born to do so many of the Dowell roles.

Matter of time, certainly, especially given his acting abilities.  But I imagine he'll start off dancing Gentlemen of one sort or another this time around.