Richard Alston Dance Company: Gypsy Mixture, London, June 2017

An extract from the current programme at Sadlers Wells on until Saturday. Most of the solos and duets were poorly lit. So apologies for the low quality of some of the pictures. Some pictures from the rehearsal of Gypsy Mixture.

Richard%2BAlston%2BDance%2BCompany%2B-%2

The company in Gypsy Mixture

Richard+Alston+Dance+Company+-+Gypsy+Mix

Nicholas Bodych

Richard+Alston+Dance+Company+-+Gypsy+Mix

The company in Gypsy Mixture

More pictures on www.johnrossballetgallery.co.uk

• Like 2

• John Mallinson changed the title to Richard Alston Dance Company: Gypsy Mixture, London, June 2017

I was also at the rehearsal - a joyous piece, effervescently danced!

35357284955_5588797c2d_z.jpg
Company dancers
© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

35317678426_12fa1fc76e_z.jpg
Oihana Vesga Bujan

35190852242_c732a73011_z.jpg
Nancy Nerantzi, Nicholas Bodych

See more...

Set from DanceTabs: Richard Alston Dance Co - Gypsy Mixture
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 3

I saw this programme last night. It was the first time that I had seen the company.

The evening started with a curtain raiser called Glint choreographed by Alston and performed by some of the second year students at the Rambert School. Connor Scott of BBC Young Dancer fame had a prominent role in this.

I found Martin Lawrance's piece Tangent, for four couples, rather long and repetitive. The music did not have enough variety for such a relatively lengthy piece.

Chacony was in two parts, the first to Britten's arrangement of Purcell's Chacony in G minor and the second to Chacony from Britten's Second String Quartet which he wrote after accompanying Yehudi Menuhin on a musical tour to two of the death camps at the end of the Second World War. I enjoyed this piece much more than the first.

The evening finished on a high with Gipsy Mixture, also by Alston, which was great fun. There were all sorts of moods and musical influences in the score and the high energy piece was danced with obvious enjoyment by the whole cast but my eyes were repeatedly drawn to the powerful stage persona of Liam Riddick.

• Like 1