Plie22

I'm an early 20s male who decided to leap back into the world of ballet last year after several years away. I've been going to a fairly regular class in my home city in the south of the UK, where I've really settled but found it quite challenging to reach that point. Teacher is pretty strict with uniform and the class is quite quiet and almost antisocial....I'm quite an upbeat and cheerful person, so find the class almost depressing!

I travel a lot with my job, which means I am able to sample different casual ballet classes when time permits- today I've been working in Leeds, so decided to go to the Northern Ballet drop in class for beginners. I made a slight faux pas and rocked up to the class in full RAD ballet kit and was one of the few who did...thank goodness I'm not self conscious! 

Having sampled probably 10-15 casual classes over the past 18 months or so, in addition to my regularly weekly class, never have I been in awe of such a brilliant teacher- his energy and charisma really flew around the studio and it was evident that he cared about each and every person in the class. He also gave different routines and options based upon ability and gave a real focus to the students who had never seen a barre before....bless them!

Now, I feel awfully guilty as it's really highlighted how much I simply tolerate my usual class and in reality, only go to it because it's the only one in my area. If anyone happens to know of a sociable adult class in the Bristol area that would welcome me with open arms, please let me know! 

If anyone happens to know Chris at Northern Ballet, please do pass on my compliments- his dedication and enthusiasm is admirable! I hope to come back soon when I'm in the area.

• Like 8

I attended Chris's class at Northern just a couple of weeks ago ....one Thursday evening ....18th May.

I loved the class and the one I attended the following morning aimed at 55 plus but given by a different teacher.

i loved the whole experience there .....the studios are great ....the building is extremely well designed a little gem of a place better than any dance studios ...for the more casual ballet goer  ...I've seen in London except perhaps RAD in Battersea and the studios at the ROH and RBS....but only get very rare access to those!!

I shall definitely return to classes at Northern whenever I'm in Leeds or not too far away.

im thinking of going to the Gala for Annie Maguire in September in Leeds so hope to be back in the Dance studios there then.

Do try Bristol Russian have heard such good things about them and there's another place for adults there but will have to ask one of the people who does some teaching there where it is!!

• Like 1

Hello Plie22. Bristol Russian do adult beginners  and they also do adult improver classes. It is an excellent school with classes based at the Tobacco Factory Theatre and John Lloyd sports centre. They have a good website and are also on facebook.  344 dance centre also offer adult dance classes, they are based in Fishponds..They also have a website and a facebook page. I hope this helps. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, primrose said:

Bristol Russian ballet school is taught by ex professional dancers who were principle dancers with the Bolshoi and Vaganova companies. It is an outstanding school.

Bolshoi? Not according to their website and  I've never heard of a Vaganova company. 

45 minutes ago, primrose said:

I am certain Yury was at the Bolshoi and Chika Vaganova.

Trained at the schools I think rather than dancing with the companies 

MAB - Vaganova /Kirov associated company would be the Kirov Theatre - now post USSR has now gone back to the old name of Mariinsky Theatre

IMO the place a teacher was trained is at least (more?) important than where they danced, as that teaching is what they are passing on to their students, and it doesn't come better than the Vaganova and Bolshoi...

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2017 at 22:06, Plie22 said:

If anyone happens to know Chris at Northern Ballet, please do pass on my compliments- his dedication and enthusiasm is admirable! I hope to come back soon when I'm in the area.

I've only just seen this - that would be Christopher Hinton-Lewis, a former principal dancer with Northern Ballet. I'll certainly pass yours, and others, compliments on to him and the whole Academy staff.

Thank you,

Phill Garnett
Northern Ballet Digital Manager

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Hopefully here it is (and hopefully our male dancing members enjoy the video interview with Xander Parish!):

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/health/lifting-the-barre-this-is-what-its-like-to-take-londons-first-ballet-class-for-men-a3594446.html

hopefully  it'll be  something that will  reduce the  impaqct of  the psychological bars to  men taking class, i think the real push with promoting  ballet for adults should be the core  strength stuff ...  

and to  pinch the whole 'do you even lift' thing how aobut some shirts with a  silhouette of  dancers doing a lift  and the  " do you  even lift ? "  phrases much beloved of  soem of the gym going types ... 

'i think a lot people all ready have  ' ballet , like a sport but harder'   stuff ...

Ballet has an awful lot of parallels to martial arts. Different aim,, but similar discipline and physical/mental requirements. And I've got a rather better chance of performing than I do at having to actually use martial arts skills!

I'm half planning a t-shirt with 

"I don't lift weights; I just lift beautiful women." - Bolle

"I life weights *so* I can lift beautiful women." - Me

:-)

• Like 1