Thoughts and prayers with the people of West London

Lisa O`Brien

It's terrible. I should imagine that heads will roll. The residents association has been saying for years that the building is a fire trap. My heart goes out to all involved in this appalling disaster.

• Like 1

Having lived in a Council run tower block in the 70s I remember residents expressing concern about fire, security. These were always brushed aside by the Council. I'm afraid all too often residents are treated as complaining nuisances, who should shut up and be grateful for what they've got. I love within a couple of miles of Grenfell and people in this area are shocked by what has happened.

• Like 1

It is just absolutely unbelievable how this fire got such a hold. There has to be some serious design fault for this to happen.

I can't bear thinking about it..it is ones worst nightmare. A terrible tragedy. Those poor people.

• Like 1

They are saying the cladding which was recently added seems to be at fault. Apparently it's because of this the fire spread so quickly. Just looking online and apparently there are a lot of buildings around the world that have this on the outside of them. Concrete doesn't burn but this stuff does.

8 hours ago, SusanR said:

I cannot imagine the terror of those poor people trapped in the building. It is like seeing the twin towers in 9/11 all over again. Horrific.

That's how I felt, Susan.  Too horrifying for words.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lisa O`Brien said:

They are saying the cladding which was recently added seems to be at fault. Apparently it's because of this the fire spread so quickly. Just looking online and apparently there are a lot of buildings around the world that have this on the outside of them. Concrete doesn't burn but this stuff does.

At least three cladding fires have occurred in Dubai, one was a tower nearing completion but the other two towers, The Torch and The Address were fully occupied, they burned on the outside but everyone inside was safely evacuated due to state of the art safety features on the inside.

• Like 2