CAT Audition Interview (Birmingham)

Pointe-less

I don't know about Birmingham but I can tell you about London the place and dance east CAT where my dd goes

i was horrified actually as they had a ten minute interview with her without me! I sat outside in the corridor thinking about what nonsense she might be talking haha :) but actually it was all ok. They asked her about her favourite dance styles, what shows she had watched and enjoyed, why she liked contemporary (apparently she replied "because it's weird like me!") 

when they called me in, they basically explained they would go back to basics and encouraged us to be patient. They went through what lessons/hours she was currently doing and asked us to cut back on things due to risks of over-training. (I hadn't heard that term before then and it was all good advice). They spoke about dropping some competitions too. 

In hindsight they probably got an insight from her on what she enjoyed about contemporary and just really explained things with me

Hope that helps and good luck and pm if you wish

:)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2017 at 20:31, Pointe-less said:

Can anyone advise what to expect from the parental interview in the final audition for the CAT scheme please?

Has your dc had final audition yet Point-less? My dd had just been offered a place at Newcastle CAT scheme, she's absolutely delighted. The interview was very relaxed and my dd answered everything herself. We were told she'd have to cut back on dance classes at her current school as she does a lot of hours already. She can't wait to start though and has full support of her dance school.

• Like 1

Hi all yes we have been now and dance was much like the first audition and as others had advised, the interview was more of a friendly chat and very relaxed. They did talk with dc first and then invited parents after. Thanks for all the replies!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/07/2017 at 22:22, BumbleBallerina said:

I'm starting at dance east CAT in September and was just wondering if anyone knew the average ages for the different levels. Thank you 

Hiya

its pretty mixed tbh. I would say level one it was from ages 10-13, maybe even 14 

level 2 ages around 12-14 but it's appropriate. 

Level 3 kind of overlaps a bit generally 13-15 bit there will be an 11yo in there in sept who will be the youngest I think

they are pretty good at levelling and it's only the technical modules they focus on so much for levels whereas Easter and summer intensives are kind of mixed with different levels with guest choreographers 

pm me if I can help if you prefer

7 minutes ago, annaliesey said:

Hiya

its pretty mixed tbh. I would say level one it was from ages 10-13, maybe even 14 

level 2 ages around 12-14 but it's appropriate. 

Level 3 kind of overlaps a bit generally 13-15 bit there will be an 11yo in there in sept who will be the youngest I think

they are pretty good at levelling and it's only the technical modules they focus on so much for levels whereas Easter and summer intensives are kind of mixed with different levels with guest choreographers 

pm me if I can help if you prefer

When do they decide on groups? My dd has at place at Newcastle but we've very little info as yet.