Scottish Ballet: MC14/22 (Ceci est mon corps), Emergence, London, June 2017

Sorry this is just a quick "OMG it was brilliant!" ...but it was.

"Ceci est mon corps" made you grit your teeth to begin with but then really took hold. The all male cast was incredible. If violence can be beautiful, then this was.

"Energence" was stunning. On all levels. Amazing.

And the company itself is so good - to be praised to the very heights!

try and grab a ticket if you can...

• Like 2

Quite agree,

My wife's comment on coming home - have just enjoyed a refresshing cup on homecoming from Sadlers Wells - and a Ballet performance by the Scottish Ballet - my oh my, are they fit ! The first ballet was intense, the second insect-like redolent of cicadas, or the like, and both extremely well rehearsed and perfectly 'together' - quite an achievement. The music was noisome, and repetitive and some of the detail a mite too lengthy, but the ideas were fully worked out, if obscure, and no-one could fault the dancers for their work and presentation... a more wealthy company couldn't have done better in executing what was required of the company.

Some pictures of Emergence from the rehearsal.

Scottish%2BBallet%2B-%2BEmergence_74%2B-

The company in Emergence

Scottish%2BBallet%2B-%2BEmergence_24%2B-

Bethany Kingsley-Garner and victor Zarallo

More pictures on www.johnrossballetgallery.co.uk

Edited by johnross
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, aileen said:

I'll be going to see this. Is there anything that I particularly need to know about the works shown and is the programme informative?

Programme is worth getting...basically though the Precolaj  is "about" the male ...violence...love...religion...imagesthat stuck in mind ...empty addictive violence ...isolation ...and there  was also bleak humour of sorts..the Pite is an easier ride ....insect...bird ....hive...individual....group...survival....

• Like 2

Enjoyed the Prelocaj immensely, very striking images, his pieces always stick in the memory.  Personally the second work didn't grab me and I feel the running order should have been reversed.

Foteini Christofilopoulou was also at the rehearsal - here are some more photos. Looks fantastic (seeing it tomorrow myself)

34332022214_ce82e7648c_z.jpg
Scottish Ballet in Emergence
© Foteini Christofilopoulou. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

35176650515_2c22758a8c_z.jpg

35176649825_2643e0699f_z.jpg

See more...

Set from DanceTabs - Scottish Ballet: Emergence
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 3

19 hours ago, aileen said:

I'll be going to see this. Is there anything that I particularly need to know about the works shown and is the programme informative?

Worth having a read around about MC 14/22.  I was rather bewildered by it the first time and the second I picked up on much more. Although nominally about the Last Supper, in actuality it’s a much bigger piece that makes you think about religion and unshakable faith generally, the camaraderie of men and the wretched and cruel side of human nature.  It's a bit too long, but a better piece than most reviews implied. The Pite speaks for itself but again there is interesting background material.

Generally the bill got 4 stars when shown in Scotland - and rightly so. It's a busy week in London and there is naturally much interest in the RB Ashton bill and its parade of interesting casts, but well worth seeing SB at the Wells - such a contrast from a huge slap of the new.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 2

I really disliked the first piece. As in REALLY disliked. The never ending slowness set against a soundtrack that made my ears want to emigrate...not for me.

Edited by Coated
Typo

• John Mallinson changed the title to Scottish Ballet: MC14/22 (Ceci est mon corps), Emergence, London, June 2017

There's no doubt that MC14/22 is a challenging piece. As Bruce said above, it's too long. Certainly, a few minutes could usefully have been shaved off the opening section which quickly became tedious. The middle section with the men being manipulated and slapped around on the tables was the best for me. One particularly forceful slap down draw audible winces from the audience. The tableaux which clearly referred to the famous painting of the Last Supper were also very arresting. I didn't envy the dancer who was tied up in the parcel tape. It must have hurt when it was removed. This section made uncomfortable viewing and there were a few nervous laughs in the audience. I was slightly concerned that the dancer might actually suffocate so squashed together was he with a lot of tape wound round his chest.

I enjoyed Emergence a lot. Pitie's great strength is movement for large groups of dancers. It was nice to see the women on pointe as well.

• Like 1

I thought the man who was progressively incapacitated with the gaffer tape somehow represented the indomitable nature of the human sprit, that keeps going no matter what the adversity, like that line in Shakespeare - "And worse I may be yet, the worst is not, as long as we can say this is the worst".   At least that was what occurred to me when watching it.  On the other hand perhaps he put it in for a laugh.

• Like 1

Very disappointed to have had to miss this: but then since I've missed every other performance of a Crystal Pite work in London this year as well I guess perhaps I should just shrug and think, what's one more?  I'd been so looking forward to it, too, after all the excellent reviews from Edinburgh last year, so would welcome any more feedback.

I see it like MAB - the gaffer tape and falsetto singing sections are about indomitable  spirit and faith firmly held being unshakable. There is black humour everywhere but a good parallel for this is Chris Bruce's Swnasong and the interrogators putting a clowns red nose on the prisoner.

The tape is low tack and no animals or dancers are hurt! Brilliant idea to mic up the dancer doing the taping - such a horrid and yet theatrical sound.

I also like the end with its Escher perpetual circle of the those with faith testing themselves and constantly communally reaffirming that faith.

But like Aileen I think the piece draws out the first section way too long and with it more than a few switch off. I've not run it on DanceTabs yet (later today) but Jann Parry gives a good breakdown of the piece, and the confusions it sets off, in her 4* review of the show.

But I will say that I find it interesting that of the 2 pieces on the bill its the Preljocaj that has generated the most thought and exchange.

• Like 3