MCC Backs Boys Ballet

meadowblythe

The boys I see at vocational school are certainly not held to a lower standard than the girls. Years ago that was true, but no longer. Years ago any boy training was pretty much guaranteed a job, not so any more.  We just went to watch the beautiful 'Ballet Cymru', in the past a small company would have had very dodgy male dancers, both men and women were impressive. 

• Like 2

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the last few years I have noticed that male graduates from British vocational schools seem to have more success in gaining professional employment in good companies than the girls. I could be wrong, but on the schools' published lists that was the case. Not because there is a shortage, but because they are excellent.

Edited by Pas de Quatre
Spelling

18 minutes ago, Colman said:

At the vocational level, I don't know. At a lower level than that I've definitely seen it.

it;s the number's game again ,  as lower levels  it;s the case of beign glad of  those who can make it across those two tiny strips of metal that are  insignificant  physically  but psychologically  huge ... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Harwel said:

I think it's also worth remembering that generally, boys develop a bit later than girls in the physical stakes.  It's all about noticing and training potential. 

which means the  y7/8 entry  to vocational training  for boys is probably less critical ... 

i was a weedy thing in y 7/8  and  towards the middlw  of y 8  things just happened  (  near halved  my times in middle  distance/ 'cross country'   running  etc ). 

the two critical  things  from this whole thread are 

1.  societal and organisational attitudes matter   with regard to  adults schoosing to work in a field  ( and  if men  has said some of the stuff   about females in STEM / Military / 999 services  that  females have said  about men in  EYFS/ teaching in general / healthcare , the chaps would have been crucified )

2.  it seems a lot of the  challenges in getting boys into Dance  are  the 'made  up by  others' ones ...  whether societal in general or  specific to  the dance community... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mph said:

2.  it seems a lot of the  challenges in getting boys into Dance  are  the 'made  up by  others' ones ...  whether societal in general or  specific to  the dance community... 

The dance world goes out of its way to encourage boys to dance, one of many examples being the title of this thread.

It seems to me that whilst there are far fewer boy than girl dancers aged 7-14, the vast majority of boys that do dance are very good. Whereas a girl might just drift along with the crowd (of girls), and subsequently become a happy recreational dancer, in general boys will only try and stick at dancing if they have a real passion and aptitude for it. It’s the boys who might just enjoy dancing at a recreational level that maybe need to be encouraged to have a go because they are missing out. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, taxi4ballet said:

The dance world goes out of its way to encourage boys to dance, one of many examples being the title of this thread.

However some of the attitudes displayed ... also the sideways looks from some of the 'once a week' parents etc... 

I have been running my own ballet school for many years, and the number of boys has waxed and waned.  However, what bothers me is that if I meet someone socially and tell them what I do, the inevitable question is "have you many boys?"  It seems to ignore all the hard work and successes that my female pupils may have had.  I agree with BlueLou, those boys who do come and continue to train are usually very talented and committed otherwise they do tend to drop out.  But it does seem like a form of misogyny, that having more boys means you are more successful!  

1 hour ago, taxi4ballet said:

I originated this thread.  You will note my original post also highlighted the positives of girls being offered cricket coaching.  However, this is a ballet and not a cricket forum which is why I came up  with that title.  You will also note that, despite the encouragement, only 1.8% of exam entries are from boys, which would suggest that despite all the encouragement, there is still work to be done.

• Like 5

And surely the fact that the dance world has to go out of its way to encourage boys is indicative of the fact that there is a problem? Wider cultural pressures are the issue really, not the dance establishment specifically. I view this in exactly the same way as the initiatives now in place to encourage girls into the STEM subjects - the societal prejudices are just the same but in reverse.

• Like 8