We had transmission problems in the cinema in Plymouth too. First during the initial interviews, when the screen suddenly broke up and then went blank with no sound, for several seconds - just as we were starting to think we'd lost it completely, it came back on (phew!). There was a couple of seconds during Symphonic Variations as well, but again, it came back.

Ore has actually grown on me up to a point. I used to find him terribly patronising, but since he has done Strictly, he does seem to have developed an appreciation of dance and the dancers (and how deceptively difficult it is), and whilst he obviously doesn't have much depth of knowledge, it is growing. I think with Darcey they would be better off giving her some guidelines of what they want her to say, and points to cover and let her ad lib - she is better when being natural. And leave the names to Ore!

I had been on Monday and saw different casts except for SV (can't keep typing that in full!). I enjoyed the Dream much more on a second viewing, and although he wasn't necessarily the perfect Oberon, I did prefer McRae to Campbell in the role. Akane Takada was lovely, so fairylike and tiny, with beautiful arms. Zucchetti as Puck was amazing, although the jury is out as to whether or not I preferred him to Acri, who was also excellent. I particularly enjoyed Mendizabal's Helena - she hit the comedy bang on the nail.

SV was, for me, a slice of heaven once again. Nunez and Muntagirov outstanding, with her footwork and his lines and elegance, but the whole cast were just a joy. I got a little irritated with some of the camera close ups as they seemed to choose just the wrong moment to zoom in on someone's face, when they should have been pulling back to show the patterns and general movement, but it was still a delight to watch again.

Zenaida made me cry in the cinema! Not a reaction I was expecting - I had enjoyed Osipova and thought she was excellent, but she didn't provoke any kind of similar reaction. And it wasn't just that it was Zenaida's final performance. Her send off was glorious and well deserved. I do hope they bring out a DVD; it seems criminal not to.

Edited by Balletfanp
  • Like 5

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm habitually rather sober-minded, undemonstrabley reticent. My upper lip is usually stiff. Tonight though, watching Ferri's Marguerite love, suffer, reach fulfilment of ecstacy and harrowing despair, my lower lip quivered and was therefore bitten hard. I was greatly moved. The woman is a miracle, age notwithstanding, but instead for total investment of self: one feels pages of her pain have been re-read, used as text, so as to inform her characterisation, biography building a depiction.

As a twitter friend said, one also felt as if intruding on something personal, a voyeurism into true intimacy. 

What a stunning performance she gave us. Not to leave aside Avis, Bonelli et al. Strength in depth from all.

And then there is Hayward and Sambé. Marcelino tackling Oberon, finding his feet in the steps and character. Hayward fey, lighter than air, possessed of beautiful magick. And Yudes! Yudes a beautiful Puck, revelling in the steps, even if Ball and Mock slightly missed the paired "throw" leaving poor Puck more on his bottom than his feet! And of our, Bottom, captivating and lovely, making us smile and laugh. Corps and attendants all wonderful. Itziar and Claire C fabulous....

One could go on! I haven't spoken of SymphVar! Truly, we were spoilt.

Edited by nickwellings
  • Like 10

Really enjoyed the live cinema relay. My hubby has seen The Dream live once before, but I think he enjoyed the this one even more because of all the close ups and comedy (he still doesn't get pdds sadly!). 

I don't think SV works as well on screen as it does live. Something just seems a bit lost, the colour of the set, the intangible excitement of a live performance, the pleasure of the perfect melding of music and choreography...it was missing for me on screen and sadly hubby thought the same and was quite bored. 

I'm not a big fan of M&A, but the casts makes it impossible to resist booking. Zen's farewell curtain calls were incredibly touching, and I was so pleased she got such a big send off - the only one of similar fuss I know of was for Darcey's retirement. 

Can I also say that I love Ore's presenting style. I think he's charming, enthusiastic, and it makes sense to me that to have the balance of one outsider who can ask basic questions for new audiences and one knowledgeable insider, to present. I view to keep him thanks. :-) 

• Like 3

Saw tonight.

The Dream wonderful. Hayward is an exquisitely light dancer and quiet on her feet. As is Sambe. People were very supportive of him and he is very light on his feet  up he, understandably, didn't match her. Stars were the lovers and puck and bottom. Just adored.

Symphonic Variations was very blink and you missed it. Recce very impressive.

Acting in M and A was wonderful. You felt their connection and bought into it. Stand out piece and pair of the night. 

• Like 2

OK - whoosh...saw Monday and this evening...

Liked Monday's Dream a lot, but loved tonight's...

Loved both casts in SV - but if you pushed me, tonight's had a special touch of wonder...

Loved both casts of M&A for different reasons. Ferri was the "Fonteyn" of the run...older, vulnerable where life and art crossed over. Would this be her last performance in the role, the last for the  RB, her last with Bonnelli? All this added to the poignancy. But...it also made me realise how unique  Osipova was on Monday. Her despair, her on the edge of insanity...the non-Fonteyn spin on the role. But I'm so glad I saw both. 

And I'll catch up with Zen another time somehow.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Tony Newcombe said:

Sunrise, you should have been present at Collier's farewell. Thirty minutes of floral tributes. Not to take away anything away from Zen's magical evening of course

Was it that long?  Considering it wasn't even supposed to be her farewell at that point ...

8 hours ago, alison said:

Don't forget the encore showings - or was it you who complained there weren't any where you were?

I didn't whinge... but I can't find any near me either... now much wailing and gnashing of teeth!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

I didn't whinge... but I can't find any near me either... now much wailing and gnashing of teeth!

Even more of a reason for the ROH to ISSUE THAT DVD!!!!

• Like 5

Yes, if they don't want another M&A recording they could always add the Cojocaru/Bonelli Daphnis & Chloe.  Wouldn't be HD, of course, but it hasn't been released.  I mean, when you think of some of the stuff they've released on DVD already ...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

In case anyone is interested, Alessandra Ferri was presented with her National Dance Award for Best Female Performance (Classical), for her performance in Woolf Works (the first time round) after the performance last night.

Of course we're interested bbb. Thanks for posting!

• Like 2

After The Dream, the bright lights of Symphonic Variations are especially welcome. Add to that the stellar line-ups which are revealed in both casts as the curtain rises and we know that we’re in for real treat.

The first cast has the beautifully matched female ensemble of Nunez, Choe and Naghdi but, at the beginning of the piece, my eye was drawn away from them by the still poses of Muntagirov and Hay – and, indeed the subsequently pure dancing and bearing of these two men in particular. Both seem made for this ballet. Bravi :D

And bravi not only to Reece Clarke, who has reprised his central role with distinction even when distracted by his top coming undone, but also to his two ‘sidesmen’ (Benjamin Ella and Joseph Sissens). Ben has really come into his own this year and he must surely be a strong candidate for promotion to soloist. However, as others have noted here, Joe made a huge impact – in my case for his ballon and his beautifully arched feet. I have a feeling that he may be still only aged 18 (or just 19) as he moved straight from Year 10 at White Lodge to the RBS Upper School. What a debut in a featured role!

Cheers too for Yasmine Naghdi, another of this year’s super-subs, who was initially dancing in both casts, and, indeed, for all the women. However, not for the first time this year (cf Diamonds), Lauren Cuthbertson didn’t make as much of an impression on me as I have come to expect from her.

Everyone who has ever danced Symphonic Variations reports that it is ‘a killer’ but no one in the current casts gives any hint of that being the case. What they do give us is simply sublime.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 10

I found had all sorts of feelings for Muntagirov which don't belong on a family forum such as this so I will content myself by saying he is a fabulous dancer and his batterie is utterly amazing.

• Like 13

Fiz, I interviewed him when he was still at ENB, and he was absolutely lovely.  Sweet, charming, and, for one of such great talent, incredibly humble.  Just thought I'd add that into the mix for you!!  ??

• Like 14

His appearance in that Rojo Swan Lake documentary, smiling so sweetly in the background, and working so hard without ever speaking while Tamara presented, first made me warm to what is obviously a very nice character, but it comes across whenever he appears in the live screenings: quite a mix isn't it,  with having the most beautiful classical technique in the country too..

Hope you're blushing Vadim!

• Like 6

Some decorum ladies please, this isn't 50 shades of ballet. 

Also, there is a point of note that a dancer's physique or attractiveness isn't really appropriate to comment upon in general public (what you do behind closed doors is your own business).

Just imagine sitting behind two old men talking about the young girl in the corps and the thoughts they have are not really to be said in a family environment, nudge, nudge, wink, wink and it takes quite a different tone. That is before you imagine that, that dancer is a relative or friend of yours.

I know that its a bit of light fun etc, but I think it is an important point about what is appropriate when commenting about a ballet dancer.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, capybara said:

After The Dream, the bright lights of Symphonic Variations are especially welcome. Add to that the stellar line-ups which are revealed in both casts as the curtain rises and we know that we’re in for real treat.

The first cast has the beautifully matched female ensemble of Nunez, Choe and Naghdi but, at the beginning of the piece, my eye was drawn away from them by the still poses of Muntagirov and Hay – and, indeed the subsequently pure dancing and bearing of these two men in particular. Both seem made for this ballet. Bravi :D

And bravi not only to Reece Clarke, who has reprised his central role with distinction even when distracted by his top coming undone, but also to his two ‘sidesmen’ (Benjamin Ella and Joseph Sissens). Ben has really come into his own this year and he must surely be a strong candidate for promotion to soloist. However, as others have noted here, Joe made a huge impact – in my case for his ballon and his beautifully arched feet. I have a feeling that he may be still only aged 18 (or just 19) as he moved straight from Year 10 at White Lodge to the RBS Upper School. What a debut in a featured role!

Cheers too for Yasmine Naghdi, another of this year’s super-subs, who was initially dancing in both casts, and, indeed, for all the women. However, not for the first time this year (cf Diamonds), Lauren Cuthbertson didn’t make as much of an impression on me as I have come to expect from her.

Everyone who has ever danced Symphonic Variations reports that it is ‘a killer’ but no one in the current casts gives any hint of that being the case. What they do give us is simply sublime.

Is there a missing 'not' in the first line of the 4th para?  Yasmine was not initially dancing in both casts but replaced Mayara at the General Rehearsal.

I agree Symphonic Variations is sublime and very much looking forward to the cinema encore.  Hoping the camera work will enable the audience to appreciate the importance of precise symmetry (distances between three dancers and angles of arms etc).

10 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Is there a missing 'not' in the first line of the 4th para?  Yasmine was not initially dancing in both casts but replaced Mayara at the General Rehearsal.

Hi John - sorry if what I said was confusing. Yasmine was, in my mind, initially dancing in both casts as, in addition to being in the first line-up, she appeared in both the General and last Saturday afternoon in place of Mayara Magri. Mayara took her rightful place in SV on the 8th June and is, no doubt, scheduled to appear tonight as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary said:

His appearance in that Rojo Swan Lake documentary, smiling so sweetly in the background, and working so hard without ever speaking while Tamara presented, first made me warm to what is obviously a very nice character, but it comes across whenever he appears in the live screenings: quite a mix isn't it,  with having the most beautiful classical technique in the country too..

I think you are so right, Mary, and it's a fact that his lovely personality shines through very strongly on stage. It's one of the things - along with his beautiful dancing - that makes him stand out and be so very watchable, in my humble opinion.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Petunia said:

Please go to today’s links and see that photo in the Telegraph where he is hovering in the air and looking at Marianela Nunez who is coming to meet him up there.

Incredible :)!

A marvellous photo: made me look at Symphonic Variations in a whole new light.

• Like 2