Dance on Radio 3

many thanks for this Trog. We get the Radio Times and still managed to miss this.  I will actually be at the ROH tomorrow afternoon watching the Ashton Triple but I will certainly record it.

Edited by jmhopton
altered wording
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, alison said:

*What* was that bit about Edward Watson right at the end?  We had some ambient noise and I missed it.

He'd tweeted to say that his favourite Ashton ballets were Symphonic Variations and Month in the Country. Katie Derham said she wasn't surprised as he'd starred in them both.

There were a lot of errors in this programme;Katie D twice referred to Symphonic Variations as Symphonic Dances,there was a mention of the Sugar Plum Fairy from The Sleeping Beauty and the very little of the long extract from Cinderella was relevant to the Ugly sisters,who were given unheard of names.

She also  seemed to assume that because Fille has a Clog Dance,the score was folk music.I realise you cannot cover the whole output in one hour but there was no mention at all of those masterpieces,Rendezvous,Patineurs,Scenes De Ballet,.Monotones,Birthday Offering,Facade ,Birthday Offering or Daphnis and Chloe and Wedding Bouquet.

Month was only mentioned because of Ed Watson' tweet.

We were told that Ashton was at the centre of the current 70th Anniversary celebrations.....really????

A disappointment.

• Like 2

Thank you, trog, for pointing to this programme, which I listened to last night.

Given the above posts (clearly, these slips shouldn’t have happened), I found the programme more enjoyable than I thought I would. It’s been a while since I saw The Dream or Symphonic Variations and I may not be able to make it to one of the cinema broadcasts of the current triple bill, so listening to Kevin O’Hare’s explanations about the two ballets gave great insights and memories.

The programme was described as exploring the relationship between dance and music, and so I don’t think the intention was to cover or mention all of Ashton’s major works but instead to show what influenced him, how he adopted music scores for his choreographies, and how the steps in his choreographies reflect his musicality.

I think though that the programme would have worked better on television as this would have allowed to illustrate the description of Ashton’s style through excerpts of said works.

Edited by Duck
typo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, taxi4ballet said:

Didn't hear the programme, but to be honest, I'm not entirely sure that radio is the best place for dance...

To be fair, it was about Ashton's use of music so while it would have been good to see excerpts from the ballets it worked quite well on radio. Given the huge range of Ashton ballets it would have been difficult to do more than give a brief view of his use of music

• 2 weeks later...