What now? Ballet training in North West

ArucariaBallerina

Hi all,

firstly, if one does not get into RBS or Elmhurst, does that mean that a classical ballet career is impossible? They say they take those with potential, so am worried, as I got into neither this year :(

i got into the Moorland School weekly Saturday associate programme though, which I'm delighted about, and have two more auditions for monthly Sunday associate programmes. I'm also going to a BRB ballet thing, and a great summer school for 2 weeks. However, I can only do up to 2.5 hours of ballet at my dance school, as some of you know, and I am desperate to become a ballerina one day, even if it is the back row of the corps de ballet! I am willing to work to the bone all day every day! But will only start vocational school (cross fingers) at 16.

does anybody have any suggestions of ways to top up my ballet training until it is at a good standard? I practise every day at home, but wondered if people could recommend things I have not considered? Any opportunities in the North West that are easily commutable from the Lancaster area? My dance school cannot offer more than what I do.

im praying that a solution will come, thank you in advance!

Good luck, I would highly recommend Centrepointe in Manchester.  My Dd younger yhan you 12 and is very serious about ballet, and her dance school could only offer 3 1/2 hours (albeit amazing) ballet in term time.  And she was desperate to dance more and for full her absolute potential. she is extremely happy there, a lot more classes and pointeeork, shows, conditioning everything she could ask for and more, she has been introduced to new dance genres such as contemporary.  Feel free to PM me or they have an excellent website xxx

I might add to clarify her old dance school could only offer limited classes, so I have moved her to Centrepointe and she now dances more and is extremely happy. The perils of iPhone typing!! 

Centrpointe offer all she needs in a pre vocational dance school, in beautiful premises. We tried topping up dds local dance school as we really liked her teacher before moving, but it just became so messy when classes move up, confusing for dd etc X

Most of the other schools around me only offer 1 hour a week, if that! There is one that has some loose connections with my school, but they study ISTD and I do IDTA? If I went to that school on days I don't dance already I would have an extra 3 hours, but my dance teacher seems against it.

Oh, my home town! As an adult, I had trouble finding more than one ballet class a week - unless I did classes with children, but it's not ideal & a lot of studios don't like that. So I did about 2 or 3 contemporary classes, and extended my skill set. But if you want to train seriously in ballet, that's not such a great option for you. 

It is difficult to find more than 1 class a week in Lancaster. can you supplement with an open ballet class at Ludus Dance? A wonderful facility - I used to do class there a lot. It's a very safe caring place.

Ludus Dance Open Ballet class

You could also ask them if there are other schools or studios in the area. They're the local Dance Exchange, and it's part of their role to encourage dance in the community. There are also some studios in Morecambe, although I'm not sure that they are serious ballet studios - or could give you the training to get to a serious standard. Here's an example:

The Dance Factory, Morecambe

Also in Lancaster & equally central as the Ludus Studio (above the Assembly Room market) is Laura Sandham school at the Storey Institute:

Laura Sandham School of Dance but I don't know the quality. There's also Turning Point Theatre Arts

You could also work your way through the websites, phone numbers & reviews here:  Reviews of dance schools in Lancaster

In Carnforth & Halton: Taylor School of Dance

I think there are also dance schools in Kendal, which is an hour on the bus.

Can you commute to Manchester? A colleagues' daughter was a serious ballet student, and did class in Manchester several afternoons/evenings a week at (I think) Dancehouse at the The Northern Ballet School . There's a direct train to Manchester Oxford Road railway station, and it's a very short walk from there. You could do homework on the train (it's about an hour).

You could also look at Kate Simmons  in Warrington. It has an excellent reputation.

Edited to add: the differences between examination syllabi are negligible: if it's well taught it's all good ballet. You'd have to get used to a battement glissé being called a degagé, and different names for arm positions, but it's not a huge thing. Your teacher may be concerned about style or QUALITY of teaching at other schools. Maybe have a conversation with her about this, or ask your parents to do so? Let her know you would like to be able to do more than 1 class a week. At your age, 3 classes a week would be ideal. Can you make those up by doing lower level classes?

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 2

I'd also suggest having a chat with the teacher about your aspirations and how you can increase your hours. I don't see why you couldn't go to the other school and do their classes - as someone else said - a different syllabus so no clash of interests. But I don't know you and I don't know if your teacher has any reasons for not wanting you to go to a particular school. She may know something about the school that you don't or think that you need to work on something in particular before you spread your wings. When my DD struggled to get enough hours at her little local school , the teacher talked us through different schools that were reasonably travelling distance and suggested which in her opinion would be the best fit for us to check out and which she should avoid - avoid not because they were bad schools but because she wanted DD to go somewhere that would help her reach her goals. In the end my DD did grade classes and modern at one school and vocational, jazz and contemporary at another but she did have a year at her initial local school first - doing classes in grades below her own aswell as her own (to increase hours and strength) before her teacher deemed her ready.

• Like 2

I'm only 14 and so can't access the Dancehouse and Ludus (my neighbour and friend was a founder of Ludus though). I will talk to my dance teacher and hopefully she will have an answer. I do do 3 ballet classes week, but all of 30-45 minute duration and one of them is with a teacher who seems to really dislike me and hate ballet. I am determined to become a ballet dancer... I will find a way somehow!

I have a private lesson once a week already, but my dance teacher will not do any more than that. It's a bit awkward... I was doing a G3 class for a while, but she said I could either do that OR my Advanced class, although they are at different times. And she recommends not doing more than one Associate programme (we disagree!). It is only half an hour. I feel awful for saying this, like I am being a traitor!

Is the private lesson working towards anything i.e. an exam.  If your teacher can't accommodate more than a half an hour a week private, could she recommend a teacher who could give you an hour private a week alongside your dance school training, to compliment it, does she know of your aspirations?

Well while it IS possible to do more than one Associate programme at a time, there may be good reasons not to - not just financial reasons but also logistics, let alone time and energy.  Not forgetting juggling dance and academics!   GCSEs are so important given the tiny chance most students have of getting into a ballet company.  

Obviously we don't know your family's circumstances (and a public forum is not really the place to lay them out in detail) but if you need driving to lots of different classes then that might be difficult for your parents.  There's a lot to think about and to talk about with both your teacher and your parents.  :)

• Like 10

Just be careful in your search for extra classes too that you are not choosing quantity over quality. There is no fast track in ballet. Adding in extra hours is practice time but it does need to compliment/supplement your existing training and not clash with it, otherwise you could be spending a lot of time and money and find progress very slow when teachers from different places are telling you different things.

I say this especially as I am not sure of your actual grade or level as your posts have mentioned grade 3, 5, intermediate and advanced. That's quite a wide range . Ability and potential are only 2 factors - but to successfully audition you need to be solid in your technique.  DDs teacher always likened learning ballet like building a wall - you can build it quite quickly but if you have gaps or too little cement in the lower levels, the top levels with no solid foundation will eventually tumble down. You may be doing so many different levels because you are in advance and need more hours. But I believe you have only been dancing a few years so it may be that your teacher is still underpinning your technique as it were with aspects of other grades that you still need to perfect.

• Like 6

My dd did the Cecchetti associates at Warrington - well worth it for you I would think.

We live close to Aracuria and I have to say there has never seemed to be people taking classes at multiple schools locally although none offer a lot of ballet in terms of preparing for vocational training. Very tricky.

Always remember it's the quality of the ballet training that is important and not the syllabus. A ballet exam will not get you into any vocational school. 

Never allow a ballet teacher to hold you back. A good teacher will help you to make progress and they will support you in finding good tuition elsewhere if need be. 

Do you have the correct pysique for ballet as thus is clearly very important. 

Northern ballet in Leeds do excellent associate classes.

My daughter trained vocationally then at the Bolshoi in Moscow. Along the journey she had several ballet teachers try to hold her back. So I know what I'm talking about.

• Like 6

On 2017-5-26 at 12:58, ArucariaBallerina said:

I do do 3 ballet classes week, but all of 30-45 minute duration and one of them is with a teacher who seems to really dislike me and hate ballet. I am determined to become a ballet dancer... I will find a way somehow!

There is no point in taking classes with a teacher who is like this. Primrose is right - you need teachers who are enthusiastic and inspirational, and can help and support you in your ambitions. At the moment it seems that you are determined to succeed in spite of your teachers! They should be doing their best for you, not putting you down!

• Like 6

Hi - with my parent hat on, suggest that first you have an honest conversation with the person in your life who writes the cheques and drives the car, to see what they are willing and able to support in terms of number of classes, distance travelled etc. A good way to find out about ballet training in your region would be to attend some of the All England Regional finals that are taking place this week. Your region would be Midlands North in Hinckley if you can get there. In the brochure all entrants are listed by dance school, have a look at some of the ballet sections in particular. I'm not pretending that festivals are the be all and end all. But schools that are capable of getting dc to regional finals tend to offer quality and serious training. This will give you some valuable pointers for schools to investigate further.

I think I have the right physique, but I am very very small for my age. Is that a hinderance? It is awkward because my dance school has two teachers... One who ignores me completely, no corrections, praise, eye contact anything (but is nicer in Modern and tap) and another who teaches 2 of 3 of my ballet classes and is the most fantastic teacher... Very very exacting and strict, but also encouraging. My family does want to support my dream of course, but don't really understand why I would need more than 3  45 minute classes a week, plus associates. They are happy to pay for my training and travel to associates, but ordinary training must not be too far away. I pay for my Easter/summer schools and workshops and uniform out of my birthday and Christmas present money. Do you think it is at all possible, if I work really hard, to get by on this amount?

(P.S would you believe I have only just found out that my mum has gorgeously high Insteps and hyperextension... I inherited nearly every feature of her apart from these.... Grr! ?)

• Like 1

If a determined dancer like you gets onto a good associate programme (like you have with Moorland), even if the class is only for a couple of hours a week you can then go away and practise practise practise the exercises from the class for as many hours as you choose on top of that. So I would say - soak up everything you can during those associate classes and work on it at home. Then fit in as many holiday intensives as you can - there are loads of good ones out there. Good Luck :) 

• Like 1

Regards height I wouldn't worry about it now as you are still young. Concentrate on eating a healthy diet with plenty of healthy calories to help you grow. Rest also helps growth. If you remained very small it may be an issue for ballet.

• Like 1

I agree if you could get to All England Regional Finals this week it would give you a good insight into different schools that are out there. If you look on the website you can see which day/time the sections are - watching your age group in a classical ballet section wld be very inspirational- the standard this year is stunning!

Thank you everybody, I will work as hard as possible. What's meant to be will happen :) unfortunately I cannot watch the All England finals as am away this week, but I do enter local festivals and it is inspiring to watch fellow dancers, I am in open ballet. Also have my first character coming up. @sarahw what would 'rest' be? I am very very active most of the time between sports clubs every lunchtime at school and dance or dance practice daily. in holidays however I usually take 2/3 days off ballet but do Pilates and stretching instead, before building back with barre work. I really do want to grow, and eat a very healthy diet, but have inherited a fast metabolism and so have always been underweight. 

Thank you so much everybody for all your suggestions, this forum is a lifesaver!

What you are doing sounds sensible Aracuria. As an example (and others will do differently it's not black and white) i try to make sure dd takes at least 1 week off at Christmas and Easter and only book in 2 weeks of SS. But if she wants to stretch in weeks off that's fine but also if she didn't stretch for a week or 2 I wouldn't worry either.

In term time you need to make sure you have enough sleep (around 9 hours but may vary?) and enough relaxation time that isn't school, homework or dance. I think a day off from dancing each week is a good idea.

Some parents on here said recently their ds grew in the summer holidays. ....

• Like 2

The best way to find a decent school is to go on their website. Look to see if they have got students into vocational schools. These are usually listed. Also look to see if they are sucessful at getting children into Royal associates ect.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, primrose said:

The best way to find a decent school is to go on their website. Look to see if they have got students into vocational schools. These are usually listed. Also look to see if they are sucessful at getting children into Royal associates ect.

Absolutely, but its knowing where to begin, there are a lot of schools out there. The reason I suggested All England regional finals is that the brochure gives you a list of schools to start with. I would be the first to say that nothing comes with a guarantee. However dd fished out an old brochure recently from a few years ago and was amused to recognise the names of 4 dc in the ballet section that she danced in. They are all starting 16+ vocational training in September.

Also there are also some schools (yes still) that do not have websites.  I know of one with an excellent reputation run by a non internet using old style ballet teacher who would never participate in a festival but has a string of RBS Associate students and those who have gone onto vocational training.

I'm afraid I do not know your area.  Have you tried asking Associate/Easter/Summer school teachers who may have contacts around the country.

• Like 3

Yes, TheOther51, that's been my experience - particularly in the area Arucaria lives in. I think she's going to have to enlist her parents' help for a serious talk with her current teachers, and some Associates classes.