Flexibility

7 hours ago, Snowflake said:

It always amazed me how some of the least flexible stronger gymnasts who were miles of all their splits had the best splits in leaps! How does that work?!?

So, I don't really think it would benefit flexibility at all if anything it could hinder it especally if you were the type of person who is naturally tight, as a lot of strengthening work is done rather than lengthening the muscles, you could get less flexible!

Well - these two points are connected!

Strengthening muscles does NOT cause them to be tight. In fact this is a myth and quite the opposite can be true. Many times weak muscles are the tight ones, because they struggle to contract and relax as efficiently, and get 'stuck' in a contracted state. 

Therefore, strengthening muscles can cause increases in flexibility - as seen in the 'stronger gymnasts' having better leaps. With this point though, there is also an element of being able to use what you've got i.e. It doesn't matter if you can do the splits if your legs / hips aren't strong enough to get them into the positions without the floor/barre/hand keeping them there.

• Like 4

Oh, and talking of gymnastics and ballet (albeit rhythmic gymnastics) - have a quick search for an Australian dancer /athlete named Audrey Freeman. Recent YAGP finalist and training with Australian national RG team! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, drdance said:

Well - these two points are connected!

Strengthening muscles does NOT cause them to be tight. In fact this is a myth and quite the opposite can be true. Many times weak muscles are the tight ones, because they struggle to contract and relax as efficiently, and get 'stuck' in a contracted state. 

Therefore, strengthening muscles can cause increases in flexibility - as seen in the 'stronger gymnasts' having better leaps. With this point though, there is also an element of being able to use what you've got i.e. It doesn't matter if you can do the splits if your legs / hips aren't strong enough to get them into the positions without the floor/barre/hand keeping them there.

That's very enlightening!! Thank you for explaining! Gymnastics is a fantastic foundation sport as it trains everything strength, flexibility, explosiveness, balance.  But, I don't think it would be worth attending to compliment ballet flexibility, as more time would probably be spent practising hand stands and conditioning lol! Not to mention they don't encourage working turnout.

My dd attended a Rhythmic Gymnastics club before she switched to artistic and it was the coach there who told her artistic gymnastics would make her muscles shorter as they do more strengh and plyo training I mean a lot, you have to be super super strong! And it would effect her long lean elegent appearance, they preferred invisable muscles and ordered her to stop attending her artistic class, if she wanted to continue in the sport, as she would build the wrong body shape.  The two disciplines are like chalk and cheese!! Totally different!  

What a talented young lady this Audrey Freeman is! rhythmic gymnastics is a very elegent sport!  I wonder if she is going become a professional ballerina eventually...! She should she would be so amazing.