Increased security at the Royal Opera House

Just had this email from ROH:

As you will soon be attending a performance or event at the Royal Opera House we would like to draw your attention to some changes to our security measures in light of the tragic events in Manchester and the raised UK security threat level.

You will notice an increased security presence at the Royal Opera House and we will take time to search all bags on entry. You can help us to make sure that this has as little impact on your visit as possible by doing the following:

• Please plan your journey and arrive as early as possible
  • Please avoid bringing any bags with you
  • If a bag is absolutely necessary, no bag larger than a small handbag please
  • If you do have large bags we kindly ask you to make alternative arrangements for their storage
  • Please be patient with our staff as they check you into the building

Your safety is paramount to us and your understanding greatly appreciated as we go through this difficult time.

We look forward to seeing you at the Royal Opera House for what will still be a wonderful experience.

Yours sincerely

Alex Beard CBE

Chief Executive

Look, I couldn't be more sympathetic about the need for enhanced security, BUT, ROH need to be realistic about their audience.

Many people travel a very long way to see ballet or opera.  My journey is a minimum of 4.5 hrs each way, sometimes more if the trains are playing up.  For an evening performance I leave home at 14.20 and arrive back about thirteen hours later.  Whilst I don't bring a suitcase, I carry a wicker basket containing a book for the journey, a coat if its autumn, and comfortable shoes so that I can hoof it across Waterloo Bridge.

Yes, in an ideal world all patrons would have hotel rooms or pied a terres in town to facilitate their cultural evenings, but most of us are not made of money.  As it is, I have to save on other things in life to afford my evenings at ROH and I don't think I'm the only person in this position.  It is simply unrealistic to expect me to travel with a small handbag a la ladies who lunch.

This new edict is tantamount to saying that only rich, London-based patrons will be welcome.  As for asking visitors to 'make alternative arrangements,' what are they suggesting?  It is surely incumbent upon ROH to facilitate the need for increased security rather than use it as some sort of censor of those of us who have to travel to visit the Opera House.

Badly done, ROH.  

Edited by penelopesimpson
  • Like 10

It's not only ROH.  The British Museum have also publicised similar restrictions.  I expect it will be the same at most theatres/museums/cinemas etc.

It will most definitely be an issue for many people who travel for the day (like me) or perhaps come straight from work and have work paraphernalia with them.  However, better safe than sorry.

• Like 8

Janet - I don't know about better safe than sorry.  I feel really miffed about this.  ROH are simply saying that they are not prepared to take responsibility for increased security, and that it is up to patrons to police themselves.  Great, if you live in London and have your chauffeur waiting outside to whisk you back to Eaton Square, but impossible if you travel distances like I and many others do.  I simply cannot make the journey with just a tiny handbag and for what I pay for my ticket, I don't believe it is unreasonable to expect ROH to organise appropriate security.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

It's not only ROH.  The British Museum have also publicised similar restrictions.  I expect it will be the same at most theatres/museums/cinemas etc.

It will most definitely be an issue for many people who travel for the day (like me) or perhaps come straight from work and have work paraphernalia with them.  However, better safe than sorry.

Most people don't spend an evening at The Museum, rather they are more likely to visit in the day.  This means that left luggage is an option at stations, although it would add considerably to my journey.  If I am coming to ROH for the evening I am dressed in my best, will be having a meal and drinks as well as attending the performance.  As most evenings will cost a minimum of £200 and sometimes substantially more without train fare, I don't think its unreasonable of me to expect that the host venue will look after my coat and bag.

I got email too. The ROH should follow the Opera Bastille in Paris example. Airport style security gates for all patrons on entry. Bag checks. Suitcases accepted subject to a separate check by security man. Doors to theatre locked with chains and padlocks 30 minutes max after start of performance. It works. Quite frankly I'm rather shocked ROH isn't doing more. 

They obviously want people to put bags in train station left luggage depots. Expensive!!!

• Like 7

Just now, Don Q Fan said:

I got email too. The ROH should follow the Opera Bastille in Paris example. Airport style security gates for all patrons on entry. Bag checks. Suitcases accepted subject to a separate check by security man. Doors to theatre locked with chains and padlocks 30 minutes max after start of performance. It works. Quite frankly I'm rather shocked ROH isn't doing more. 

They obviously want people to put bags in train station left luggage depots. Expensive!!!

I'm going to phone the Chief Exec's Office about this tomorrow.

Yes, there is Left Luggage at Waterloo but it usually closes at 22.00 which makes it useless, plus it is miles away from the exit so would add to an already considerable journey.  This 'edict' smacks of a self-righteous CEO who no doubt lives in Central London.  It is obviously beyond his comprehension the lengths that many patrons have to go to visit ROH.  Additional security is needed and ROH should provide it, not simply pass the problem on to their patrons or 'alternative arrangenents,' whatever they may be.

• Like 3

Just to point out that the email from the ROH does say 'please' and 'ask' etc rather than actually saying that bigger bags will not be permitted, which presumably it could have said if that was the case. So perhaps they're just trying to minimise the number of people who come with bigger bags, rather than actually banning them?

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, penelopesimpson said:

Janet - I don't know about better safe than sorry.  I feel really miffed about this.  ROH are simply saying that they are not prepared to take responsibility for increased security, and that it is up to patrons to police themselves.  Great, if you live in London and have your chauffeur waiting outside to whisk you back to Eaton Square, but impossible if you travel distances like I and many others do.  I simply cannot make the journey with just a tiny handbag and for what I pay for my ticket, I don't believe it is unreasonable to expect ROH to organise appropriate security.

I think that the ROH is taking responsibility by introducing increased security measures.  Even travelling, as I do from Liverpool, for a day I usually have a fair amount of paraphernalia with me whether I am going to a museum, a performance or both.  I take personal responsibility for what I have with me and if that means not having food with me all day for the return journey or jettisoning partially drunk water, not bothering with camera etc so be it.  I have a Kindle which takes up less space in a bag than a book.  For many years I haven't bothered with a make up bag and I very rarely travel in my Sunday best to the theatre - I just go for comfort unless it is a really special occasion.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Don Q Fan said:

I can remember 20 or 30 years ago when terrorist attacks by other groups were happening and many of the left luggage facilities at train stations closed.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Don Q Fan said:

Thinking logically such measures may be introduced and the cost probably covered by increased ticket prices.

When these measures were introduced in Paris, presumably it took some time to procure the equipment and put it in place.  I am sure that this will also be considered as sadly these threats are unlikely to go away any time soon.

You only mention the Bastille, are there similar measures at the Garnier?

• Like 1

This would definitely be a problem for me too as I usually have at least a small backpack with me. Sometimes if I am staying in London I can get down to a handbag if I can get to where I'm staying first but this is not always possible.

i don't see why they can't have two different checks going on one for those with handbags only and one for people who have to have larger bags ......these people could be asked to get to the theatre earlier for the longer search required and once searched there should not be a problem then with leaving them in the cloakroom. I would not mind a small extra charge for this but leaving bags at railway stations wouldn't work in any way for me!!

• Like 1

Absolutely, LinM.  If I have to pay a cloakroom charge, then so be it.  If any venue is equipped to handle patrons accoutrements it is ROH.  They have extensive cloakroom facilities, even during the building work, and they are simply ducking the issue.  As LinM suggests, those of us who have to bring small amounts of luggage with us have the responsibility of arriving in good time for a more thorough search and, if necessary, of paying for the privilege.

I don't know this CEO but he strikes me as being very Londoncentric in his outlook.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Just to point out that the email from the ROH does say 'please' and 'ask' etc rather than actually saying that bigger bags will not be permitted, which presumably it could have said if that was the case. So perhaps they're just trying to minimise the number of people who come with bigger bags, rather than actually banning them?

Yes, you may be right (hopefully) but I will phone for clarification tomorrow.  The cloakroom people already behave in a draconian manner citing the building works as the reason which always makes me laugh as the facilities downstairs are extensive.  Yes, the queues can be offputting but if you choose to bring a bag, you know what to expect.

I believe cloakroom space is at a bit of a premium with all the 'open up' work going on. I've given up leaving a coat and just bundle it under the seat. I wonder if any thought has been given to improving facilities when all the work is finished?seems to me that it used to work pretty well when the cloakroom was on the ground floor. I wish I was convinced that the 'open up' work was being done for theatre patrons and not just as a means of selling more food and drink to passers by.

Edited by ninamargaret
Predictive text mistake
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I think that the ROH is taking responsibility by introducing increased security measures.  Even travelling, as I do from Liverpool, for a day I usually have a fair amount of paraphernalia with me whether I am going to a museum, a performance or both.  I take personal responsibility for what I have with me and if that means not having food with me all day for the return journey or jettisoning partially drunk water, not bothering with camera etc so be it.  I have a Kindle which takes up less space in a bag than a book.  For many years I haven't bothered with a make up bag and I very rarely travel in my Sunday best to the theatre - I just go for comfort unless it is a really special occasion.

I don't have a Kindle!

I do like to wear my best frock and if I came without my make-up bag, I'd frighten the tourists!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ninamargaret said:

I believe violation space is at a bit of a premium with all the 'open up' work going on. I've given up leaving a coat and just bundle it under the seat. I wonder if any thought has been given to improving facilities when all the work is finished?seems to me that it used to work pretty well when the cloakroom was on the ground floor. I wish I was convinced that the 'open up' work was being done for theatre patrons and not just as a means of selling more food and drink to passers by.

I posted on this some months ago, NinaMargaret, suggesting that ROH were making a rod for their own back by being parsimonious with the cloakroom facilities.  It is noticeable how many people you see lugging winter coats around with them and even backpacks because the cloakroom dragons have made them feel they shouldn't leave anything.  I fear this security business has given them just the ammunition they wanted.

I am sure your coat folds into a small space, but at Woolf Works in February I had to sit next to a woman with an enormous fur coat which ended up draped over me for most of the evening.   I think it is a point of principle that coats shouldn't be taken in to the auditorium but doubtless the combination of security and building work will knock that on the head.

Sigh.

• Like 1

Well it is interesting that in theatres in Russia you HAVE to put your coat in the cloakroom etc....it's almost the reverse there with being ( almost) harried to get to the cloakroom!! The Mariinsky also had a well organised more formal type bag check.

There is no reason really why it shouldn't work here. 

• Like 3

I have to say that I never leave my coat in the cloakroom as I like to be able to leave the theatre quickly by the nearest exit. Also queuing at the cloakroom at the end of an evening performance could mean me missing my last train home. I have to say that 

I recently had to stay overnight, which is something I very rarely do, because the performance I was at (not ballet) didn't finish until after 11 o'clock. I used a largish handbag I often use when I come to London for the day and in that I managed to fit toiletries, small towel, night clothes and change of underwear as I didn't want to take a travel bag into the theatre and couldn't get to where I was staying before the performance. It's surprising what you can do if you try.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Well it is interesting that in theatres in Russia you HAVE to put your coat in the cloakroom etc....it's almost the reverse there with being ( almost) harried to get to the cloakroom!! The Mariinsky also had a well organised more formal type bag check.

There is no reason really why it shouldn't work here. 

I believe it is considered 'ne kulturny' to take your coat into the theatre 

• Like 2

My goodness Pulcinella your handbag must be as big as my backpack lol!!

i always do leave my coat in the winter and backpack as although I suppose I could manage to stuff everything under the seat if necessary to be honest I just like to feel light once there ....just a personal choice.

I also have to say that once at cloakroom level I've never waited more than 3-4 mins max to collect my coat and sometimes less if pop to the loo first!! It can take a while to get to the cloakroom in the first place of course but the ROH is much quicker than the Coli where it can take an absolute age to get down to the cloakroom after a performance and it's slower getting your coat as that weird hanger thingy always gets me confused and then you have to collect bag separately.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

I have to say that I never leave my coat in the cloakroom as I like to be able to leave the theatre quickly by the nearest exit. Also queuing at the cloakroom at the end of an evening performance could mean me missing my last train home. I have to say that 

I recently had to stay overnight, which is something I very rarely do, because the performance I was at (not ballet) didn't finish until after 11 o'clock. I used a largish handbag I often use when I come to London for the day and in that I managed to fit toiletries, small towel, night clothes and change of underwear as I didn't want to take a travel bag into the theatre and couldn't get to where I was staying before the performance. It's surprising what you can do if you try.

You obviously haven't seen my make-up bag!

That's great if it works for you but I don't want to spend the evening lugging all that stuff around, particularly when there are perfectly good cloakroom facilities.  I have to say that I think the Marinsky have it right.

With all the (understandable) concern about security I am amazed that they STILL are not zapping the bar codes on the (e)tickets.  In Paris now they would be breaking the law by not doing so.  If there actually was to be a terrorist turn either there - heaven forefend - or in the very close vicinity - they would have no way of knowing who was ACTUALLY inside.  Not that that is an exact science.  It isn't. Still it is a better guide than nothing being recorded at the gate.  (As it is their searches are so cursory they might as well - in reality - not occur.  I asked one ROH FOH staff member: 'Have you ever found anything?'  He just laughed.)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

And the Barbican have had something equally drastic in place for some months.  So much so that I wondered how any City business types would ever be likely to be able to attend events.

4 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Look, I couldn't be more sympathetic about the need for enhanced security, BUT, ROH need to be realistic about their audience.

3 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Additional security is needed and ROH should provide it, not simply pass the problem on to their patrons or 'alternative arrangenents,' whatever they may be.

4 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Janet - I don't know about better safe than sorry.  I feel really miffed about this.  ROH are simply saying that they are not prepared to take responsibility for increased security, and that it is up to patrons to police themselves.  [...] I simply cannot make the journey with just a tiny handbag and for what I pay for my ticket, I don't believe it is unreasonable to expect ROH to organise appropriate security.

Penelope, I think we are now all painfully aware of what "sorry" entails as opposed to "safe", and I don't think any of us would want to risk that any more :( 

I suspect that the ROH, like many other venues in London and around the country, are doing the best they reasonably can to up security at very short notice.   You've been there recently - rather more than I have, in fact - so you must be aware of the current situation front-of-house.  Searches of "closed" baggage *have* to take place at point of entry, not inside the building, and where would you do that at present?  It's not as if the building works can simply be magicked away for the duration.  For the time being, we all need to try and alleviate the situation as much as possible, and that includes not having unnecessary hold-ups upon entry.

3 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

I got email too. The ROH should follow the Opera Bastille in Paris example. Airport style security gates for all patrons on entry. 

Yeah, I'm sure those can be sourced easily within 24 hours, ;) and with everyone else wanting the same too.  Ditto additional security personnel.  Where would you put such gates at present, anyway?

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

That was rather how I interpreted it, too.  Not to mention thinking that the small-handbag-sized bag is probably in addition to a handbag proper, from the phrasing.

• Like 7

The security gates would go at the door entrances as they are in Paris.

I haven't been to the Garnier recently so cannot say but as France is still in a state of emergency I dare say it's the same there.

As people are still unaccounted for after the Manchester bomb and we contemplate the horror endured by the emergency services, -perhaps we do all have to accept some adjustments to life,  some inconvenience and some curtailment of our pleasures while places like ROH do need to review security - and I am sure they will.

• Like 13

10 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

I believe cloakroom space is at a bit of a premium with all the 'open up' work going on. I've given up leaving a coat and just bundle it under the seat. I wonder if any thought has been given to improving facilities when all the work is finished?seems to me that it used to work pretty well when the cloakroom was on the ground floor. I wish I was convinced that the 'open up' work was being done for theatre patrons and not just as a means of selling more food and drink to passers by.

Just a reminder that the downstairs cloakroom (like the downstairs gents loo) is temporary and will return to the ground floor once the works are completed.  As an aside, as the gents will eventually become an extension of the ladies, the plumbing is set up for cubicles - this makes the layout of the urinals rather odd!

10 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

think it is a point of principle that coats shouldn't be taken in to the auditorium.

IMHO that's very odd principle.  If my coat folds up and fits under my chair without blocking the air conditioning vents (or even in front of my legs if I'm in the front row) what concern is it of anyone else?

• Like 3

I too have a long day when I go to the ROH, and typically don't get home before 1.30 in the morning, having left for work 18 hours previously.  I'd normally have a small backpack with me, but under the circumstances forgoing that doesn't even feel like a compromise.

I think we need to count our blessings sometimes and just be grateful that people are looking out for us and keeping shows open.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

IMHO that's very odd principle.  If my coat folds up and fits under my chair without blocking the air conditioning vents (or even in front of my legs if I'm in the front row) what concern is it of anyone else?

Completely agree!

A few people have mentioned that in Russian theatres people leave their coats in the cloakrooms as a matter of course.  I've said it before elsewhere, but in my experience this is, at least in its orirgins, a purely practical reaction to the sheer bulk of Russian winter outerwear, as well as to a degree the amount of street dirt which accumulates in winter. When the weather improves in spring the cloakrooms are far more patchily used.

• Like 3