Manchester Arena attack

alison

Perhaps the worst atrocity in Britain so far, as it seems the act appearing at Manchester Arena attracts a particularly young audience  and the police are reporting children amongst the twenty two dead.  Heart breaking when young lives are taken so soon.  To specifically target those youngsters makes me feel sick.

• Like 6

So sorry to hear this news this morning a happy and joyful event turned into such horror. Very sad and depressing though I believe the people of Manchester nearby have reacted in a way which showed more what true humanity is. 

• Like 4

We were relieved to hear from our son within minutes, and for once he was in his room.  He's currently at a hospital giving blood. He's saying there's been a huge amount of support from the public, with free taxis, people offering beds etc. The mentality of these terrorists is beyond comprehension.

• Like 10

I knew of a few people there last night, at least one still unaccounted for. My facebook feed is full of appeals for news of missing kids from last night. Feel sick to the stomach. Close friends daughter was there and is ok, though pretty shaken. Such a horrible world we live in

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

We were relieved to hear from our son within minutes, and for once he was in his room.  He's currently at a hospital giving blood. He's saying there's been a huge amount of support from the public, with free taxis, people offering beds etc. The mentality of these terrorists is beyond comprehension.

Just heard on the radio that there is  call for blood in the area, particularly type O and rhesus negative, perhaps if anyone has those blood types and lives locally they could also consider donating.

• Like 6

On last Saturday evening, I sang in a performance of John Adams' reflection on the 9/11 disaster, "On the Transmigration of Souls."  The sung text includes excerpts from relatives and friends of people caught in the Twin Towers - eg "He used to call me ..... I'm still waiting."  And now, just over 48 hours later, there are families in and around Manchester in what sounds like the same situation.  A tragic and criminal act.

• Like 7

The first two fatalities have been named, two girls aged eight and eighteen.  I cannot start to comprehend the suffering of their families.

IS has claimed responsibility.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

The first two fatalities have been named, two girls aged eight and eighteen.  I cannot start to comprehend the suffering of their families.

IS has claimed responsibility.

There are still so many families looking for their loved ones too.  It is just heartbreaking.

• Like 3

On 2017-5-24 at 09:57, Picturesinthefirelight said:

There is a local girl still missing, unacounted for. She's in the same school year as another members dd. 

My son's theatre group held a minutes silence at their dress rehearsal last night. Some of the kids there have friends who were there & the fate of all isn't known. 

OMG Pictures. Someone on Facebook was commenting that all football fans, if they want to travel abroad to watch a match, have to hand their passport details over to the police prior to travelling, so they can be kept an eye on and monitored at all times. Yet this individual was, so it seems able to travel to various countries unimpeded, despite him being reported to police on several separate occasions because of his extremist views. They must clearly think rowdy drunken football fans are much more of a threat than someone who hates us. Unbelievable.

32 minutes ago, Lisa O`Brien said:

OMG Pictures. Someone on Facebook was commenting that all football fans, if they want to travel abroad to watch a match, have to hand their passport details over to the police prior to travelling, so they can be kept an eye on and monitored at all times. Yet this individual was, so it seems able to travel to various countries unimpeded, despite him being reported to police on several separate occasions because of his extremist views. They must clearly think rowdy drunken football fans are much more of a threat than someone who hates us. Unbelievable.

That is incorrect.  I have traveled abroad many times to watch football matches and have not had to provide my passport details.

Also, do you not thing restricting someone's movements might give the game away that they are under surveillance?  You might as well just lock them up without charge (and we all saw just how successful an idea that was in Northern Ireland in the 1970s & 80s).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bangorballetboy said:

That is incorrect.  I have traveled abroad many times to watch football matches and have not had to provide my passport details.

Also, do you not thing restricting someone's movements might give the game away that they are under surveillance?  You might as well just lock them up without charge (and we all saw just how successful an idea that was in Northern Ireland in the 1970s & 80s).

Maybe it's just known troublemakers who have to hand in their details then. But surely they shouldn't be allowed to attend football matches in the first place?

50 minutes ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

Known football hooligans have to hand in their passports prior to high profile away games to prevent them from being able to travel. 

Sadly the girl I mentioned died at the scene. 

Oh no. RIP to all those who have died and let's hope, please God, that  no-one else dies due to their injuries. What a crap world we live in sometimes. [ Sorry for swearing, Mods].

Such a dreadful event.

One of my daughters best friends was at the concert and, as a student nurse, stayed at the scene until the early hours assisting the medical teams there.  She is such a selfless girl.

Since the event this lovely girl has been very upset by the experience.

At times like this we expect - and receive - so much from our emergency services but this just reminded me of the toll it takes on them as individuals too.

• Like 4