Odd news reports

taxi4ballet

Apparently the Aston Expressway in Birmingham is currently shut due to the discovery of a large unexploded WW2 bomb, and the surrounding area has been evacuated. On the BBC news website, there is a picture of the bomb in question, and the photo bears the legend:

"Paramedics tweeted a photo of the bomb, which is believed to have been made in Germany"

Erm... yes, probably.

• Like 8

It now turns out to have been a mortar round - so smaller than any WW2 bomb, with limited range and presumably of UK manufacture:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-20972375

Might there have been an Army training range or storage facility there at some point?  A 'souvenir' dumped by someone?  

• Like 1

Readers comment on the Birmingham Mail website :)

"If it goes off it might cause hundreds and thousands of pounds worth of improvements!"

The bomb disposal people are still working in it at the mo.

• Like 7

Ha ha ha, Trog. Can't help but agree ...

When I lived in BOurnville, I was coming home from work along Mary Vale Road - a long road leading from the Pershore to the Bristol road, and just as I got out of the station to the pavement, I encountered a Police tape, and had to go several blocks around before turning back into my street. They'd found an unexploded hand grenade in a house about 50 doors down from mine.

My father can remember hearing the bombing of Birmingham, from his grandparent's country place near what is now Solihull. It's not surprising that bombs etc are still being found all over the city.

• Like 1