JOHANNES STEPANEK

:(

I'd hoped he was going to be in The Dream as usual :(

The current Ballet Association newsletter says that he retires at the end of the season, but will be continuing as an Assistant Director for the Royal Opera.  (I trust it's okay to post that: the other newsletters are available on the BA website, so I'm assuming this one will be in due course)

7 minutes ago, alison said:

I'd hoped he was going to be in The Dream as usual :(

Actually, I've just realised that there's another run of La Traviata around the same time, so I guess he'll be working on that instead.

Olivia says "all the best in his next adventure. He will be greatly missed at The Royal Ballet, always professional , hardworking and incredibly kind to work with. You were an absolute joy Joey, much love ??." which doesn't sound like he is staying at the RB.

I was at Saturday night's performance of Mayerling in which Johannes was dancing the role of Bay Middleton. At the general curtain call I noticed that he was waving his hat as if to say"goodbye". He later took an individual call and repeated the same gesture with his hat. My guess at the time was that this was his last performance with the company, and I think I must have been correct.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Jane S said:

I'll remember him most for Lensky's solo - really beautifully danced and acted.

Yes, that really was a lovely memory and I'm sorry that there wasn't more follow through for him in such solo opportunities....

• Like 2

I always enjoyed his performances and how I wish I'd seen him as Lensky. Probably a role that nobody aspires to play, but I just want to note how good I thought he was as Wilfred in Giselle. And that's the sign of a true professional, someone who takes care over the 'unimportant roles'. Best of luck to him.

13 hours ago, Jane S said:

I'll remember him most for Lensky's solo - really beautifully danced and acted.

13 hours ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Yes, that really was a lovely memory and I'm sorry that there wasn't more follow through for him in such solo opportunities....

Me too: for both.  My favourite RB Lensky.  But yes, never cast as much as I thought he could be afterwards.  Re-reading his Ballet Association interview, I see he said he'd like to have danced Des Grieux, and that's a role I think I'd have liked to have seen him in.

(Incidentally, anyone know why he's in costume as Albrecht in said Instagram photo?)

12 hours ago, Darlex said:

I always enjoyed his performances and how I wish I'd seen him as Lensky. Probably a role that nobody aspires to play, but I just want to note how good I thought he was as Wilfred in Giselle. And that's the sign of a true professional, someone who takes care over the 'unimportant roles'. Best of luck to him.

Is his performance in that preserved on DVD?  (Or is it his Hilarion?)  I think one or the other, and hopefully both.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...