Birmingham Royal Ballet summer casting 2017

Just out of personal curiosity ... (and only because I'm now a devoted fan) .... I am surprised that the truly glorious Brandon Lawrence is not given at least one principal crack .. much as he wasn't given a prince in Cinderella - as far as I recall.  Does anyone have any idea why this might be?  I can't imagine he is not hugely valued.  His performance as Othello in the Moor's Pavane and in Wink were beyond thrilling.  I don't believe from recent reviews that he is injured.  I'm also surprised that the equally stunning Delia Mathews is not on these casting lists as well.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Just out of personal curiosity ... (and only because I'm now a devoted fan) .... I am surprised that the truly glorious Brandon Lawrence is not given at least one principal crack .. much as he wasn't given a prince in Cinderella - as far as I recall.  Does anyone have any idea why this might be?  I can't imagine he is not hugely valued.

I too am surprised, and wonder why.  If they've got him, they should use him, in my opinion.

• Like 3

On 13/05/2017 at 12:45, Bruce Wall said:

Just out of personal curiosity ... (and only because I'm now a devoted fan) .... I am surprised that the truly glorious Brandon Lawrence is not given at least one principal crack .. much as he wasn't given a prince in Cinderella - as far as I recall.  Does anyone have any idea why this might be?  I can't imagine he is not hugely valued.  His performance as Othello in the Moor's Pavane and in Wink were beyond thrilling.  I don't believe from recent reviews that he is injured.  I'm also surprised that the equally stunning Delia Mathews is not on these casting lists as well.  

Brandon Lawrence is very special and I think world class material. But he needs feeding in the same way Vadim was recognised and fed, first by ENB and now RB. It's nice to be chosen as the lead in a 24 minute piece by a junior choreographer but to reach his potential he needs to be cast in the big classics. Interesting that his fellow soloist, William Bracewell, is leaving BRB at the end of the season and going to RB. I hope BRB don't loose Brandon as well.

• Like 5

I have been thinking about this today.  I love Brandon but if Kevin O'Hare says to him 'come to Covent Garden and you can dance Lescaut , Rudolf, Solor, des Grieux etc etc etc'  I for one cannot deny him his chance.  It is a shame that there isn't some form of exchange programme between the two companies to allow for this.  This could include Celine Gittens and Delia Mathews to give them a chance to do Manon.

When Miyako Yoshida went to the RB there was this sort of mourning in Birmingham but I think she undoubtedly did the right thing.  She got the chance to dance roles unavailable at BRB where the repertoire changed to accommodate the dancers David Bintley brought in.  I miss Alex Campbell but seeing the chances he has had I cannot grudge him his chance to fulfil what us, after all, a short career.

I went to a BRB Friends chat (those were the days) with Jamie Bond and he was asked what ballets he would like to do.   He said, rather resignedly,  Manon and Mayerling 'but I know I will never get the chance to do them'.  I asked him about  A Month in the  Country and he agreed.   At least he got to do that a couple or so years later.

Both companies are pretty well stuffed with talent which regrettably means not as many opportunities as would be wished but 'twas ever thus.  The greater variety of repertoire at the Opera House is always going to be a huge temptation.  There was a time when I got really annoyed when BRB dancers were lured there.  However, I have got over all of that now but I wish there could be a system whereby exceptionally talented dancers get to fulfil their potential without losing them from BRB permanently.

• Like 5

Brandon wasn't among the new dancers announced by the RB for 2017/18 so that might give some reassurance to his fans. But, surely, in  any case, there is already more than enough talent within the RB. One wonders how those up and coming dancers would feel if (more) people from BRB transferred or were cast on the basis of an exchange.

Jamie Bond did, of course, start his career with the RB and moved to Birmingham reportedly to get more chance of leading roles.

• 4 weeks later...

Surely the whole creative process behind "Arcadia" will have been greatly beneficial to Brandon and is likely to get far more press attention than yet another revival of "Coppelia".Meanwhile there are 2 new Frantz casts to look forward to in Max Maslen  & Lachlan Monahan and whilst I always groan at yet another Coppelia,BRB always bring it off.

• Like 4

A small crumb of comfort for Brandon/Delia fans (of which I am a huge one!):  they are appearing on June 18th in the NK Ballet Foundation Inaugural Gala at the Cadogan Hall in London, so you can catch a glimpse of them then....as well as supporting a great cause! :) 

• Like 3