Important cast changes ROH

It's disappointing but I'm casting his replacement - Matthew Ball anyone ? 

I raised my eyebrows at the idea of Takada as Mary Vetsera to McRae's Rudolf - no disrespect to either artist it's just not a combination that would have crossed my mind. I guess she must have been understudying the role and it's good that she's been given shot at it rather than a complete cast change. 

• Like 3

Firstly, all good wishes to Olivia and Edward and Akane and Steven. Last minute replacements are never easy and Mayerling presents a particular challenge. [Incidentally, Akane mentioned that she was 'covering' Mary in the recent Times article.]

Secondly, sympathies to Kevin O'Hare who must have had it in mind to cast Polunin in M & A for some considerable time but did not confirm this until relatively recently - only for things to go pear-shaped now for some reason. However, he does have some very attractive options at his disposal (Muntagirov; Ball; Clarke; Richardson no less) although all four seem to be very busy currently. It will be very interesting to see how things pan out.

Lastly, I hope that all the people who rushed to buy tickets when Sergei's name was listed will 'stick with it' and enjoy what promises to be a great Ashton programme.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, annamk said:

It's disappointing but I'm casting his replacement - Matthew Ball anyone ? 

I raised my eyebrows at the idea of Takada as Mary Vetsera to McRae's Rudolf - no disrespect to either artist it's just not a combination that would have crossed my mind. I guess she must have been understudying the role and it's good that she's been given shot at it rather than a complete cast change. 

It was mentioned in The Times interview with her that she was learning the role, admittedly as understudy ....

6 hours ago, RuthE said:

With no disrespect intended to anyone who's had to pull out, I for one am delighted to have an additional opportunity to see Olivia Cowley's Larisch. I thought she was brilliant.

Ditto. I wasn't sure whether to go tonight or not (still having many memories of last Friday's Bonelli, Morera, Cowley et al show) but this has probably tipped the balance.

• Like 5

Sarah Lamb has posted that she will not be on stage for several weeks. She says on Facebook (I am not a 'friend' so it does not appear to be confidential) that she "slipped very badly on the floor in the studio and crashed on the outside of her foot. An X-ray later revealed a small fracture".

Poor Sarah.

It will be interesting to see who replaces her in Vertiginous and The Dream.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, capybara said:

Sarah Lamb has posted that she will not be on stage for several weeks. She says on Facebook (I am not a 'friend' so it does not appear to be confidential) that she "slipped very badly on the floor in the studio and crashed on the outside of her foot. An X-ray later revealed a small fracture".

Poor Sarah.

It will be interesting to see who replaces her in Vertiginous and The Dream.

I feel really sorry for Sarah Lamb :( I was thinking only recently how often she's on stage - she danced two different principal roles in the Jewels bill and now two in Mayerling. I guess it's tribute to her versatility but what a workload. Wishing her a speedy recovery. 

Edited by annamk
  • Like 10