I am about to book tickets at the Opera Garnier for November triple bill by Paris Opera ballet. Please can I have some advice about where in the theatre is a good place to sit and any tips about visiting the opera house. Thank you

Always go for a full view of the stage, if you go for a side loge (cheaper) always get a seat in the premiere rang.  I would avoid the Garnier equivalent of the Amphi as the seats are very cramped and uncomfortable.  When I go to Paris I buy expensive tickets and offset the cost by staying at a cheap hotel.

Programmes are dear but cast lists are free.

Best to call to book tickets in my view, but bear in mind they don't speak English. 

The shop now stays open for some time after the performance, good place to rummage for bargain CD's.

• Like 2

After trying both the Orchestre and Balcon sections I would definitely recommend the latter. IIRC the price is the same, and the Balcon has less cramped seating and better views.

Like MAB I splurge on the tickets and economise elsewhere.

You should register on the website and maybe do a dry run before booking opens - assuming that you'll be booking for something which isn't already on sale. The system automatically assigns seats in the category you choose, but it does give you a view from the seat before you confirm your booking, so you can change the seat if you don't like it. I've always found the site swamped when booking opens, but the queue works quite well. Good luck!

• Like 1

MAB's advice is sound for those who don't know Palais Garnier well. Those who do (like me), can find ways to get good visibility seats for a tiny fraction of the expensive tickets. This allows me to be at Garnier any time and as many times I want.

I've just realized I didn't mention casting in my earlier post.  Unless procedure has changed (I've only been watching operas at the Garnier in the last couple of years), casting is only announced shortly before the performance and long after booking has opened.  The French website Dansomanie speculates on who is likely to dance and probably has some insider information to back up that speculation but that doesn't help with dates.  When casting does appear on the Opera's website it will be listed as distribution but by that time only the dearest and cheapest seats are likely to be available if you are lucky.

If all the seats are sold by the time casting comes out, you can subscribe on the official website to be notified of returns. Alternatively, if you are in a position to check the website regularly, seats often pop up, just as they do for the ROH. Both these options may leave you with Hobson's Choice but, whatever you do, don't go for the second row around the sides.

• Like 2

Casting for POB is still announced a long time after booking has opened. Announcements are normally made in two steps

- pre-casting, showing the names of dancers for the main roles for the whole run i.e., not by date

- casting by date; this can be published as little as a week or two before the opening night ... or even on the day of the opening night, as for the current Robbins/ Balanchine/ Cherkaoui & Jalet triple bill

Dansomanie provides unofficial and provisional information with regards to casting in the same two steps however a good few weeks earlier ... this is however still way after the booking has opened. To give some examples about timing, see the various threads about POB bills (scroll down beyond the announcements and post-its)

http://www.forum-dansomanie.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

If you decide to wait with booking until September - there is a Pass' Opera at €50 that gives access to discounts for higher-priced tickets of certain dates of certain works during the 17/18 season https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/ticketing/spectators-offers/pass-opera. Depending on the number of tickets you decide to buy and their full price, purchasing the pass can lead to overall cost savings with just a 2-3 viewings (bearing in mind that, at least in the 16/17 season, the pass could only be used for one performance of a specific bill, and that there is no information on the web site yet as to which performances/works the pass will refer to next season). The pass also allows to buy tickets before the general booking start for the performances that are later in the season. Both the pass and the discounts per performance come in limited quantities. Last-minute discounts for performances that don't sell well often go through the pass, too.  I bought the pass for the 16/17 season and, while I didn't use it very often, it gave me piece of mind as it allowed me to buy tickets before the general booking start for later works. Finally, there is also a monthly flash sale of tickets with discounted tickets for performances that don't sell well, or tickets for performances that are otherwise sold out. https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/ticketing/spectators-offers/les-rendez-vous-du-mercredi

• Like 3

• 6 years later...

4 hours ago, JNC said:

I can't comment on ROH stalls but I have treated myself to the stalls in the Palais Garnier (can't justify those prices in the UK, but if I'm going all the way to Paris I'll be damned if I have a bad view). I will say that I don't think it's much better (and probably worse) in Paris. I think I was lucky to be sat near the back of the stalls which provided a good view, but there the seats aren't overlapped, so you're directly sitting right behind someone's head and even a 'normal sized' person's head can get quite significantly in your way. I admit I was one of those annoying people who have weaved my head left and right accordingly, but when I paid around 100 euro I wanted to be able to see the full stage as best as possible, not have 1/3 of the dancers blocked. I was very surprised it was quite so bad (given these are the most expensive seats) and wonder if I was just being fussy, but the lady sat next to me did the exact same thing so clearly not a unique problem.  Having said that the Palais Garnier was absolutely wonderful, but next time I'd pay to sit up in the higher area which is sort of at the back of the stalls (balcon I think they call it?) which appeared to have better rake, or if you grab a ticket in the front row of that section you would be 100% clear. 

More shockingly (given it's not got the excuse of being an old theatre) I have also sat in the stalls at the Paris Opera Bastille, and had a similar issue with not enough rake and the seats not being staggered. I was quite lucky with a shorter man and his young daughter sat in front of me so I had a clear view. But I felt for the (exceptionally well behaved) young girl who clearly struggled to see the stage fully with a taller adult sat in front of her. 

I have to admit this has put me off sitting in ROH stalls. I'm not sure I can ever justify affording it but I think I'd like to do it one day for a very special ballet with exceptional casting (Bayadere Nunez/Osipova calls to mind, or perhaps something rarely seen by Ashton or Balanchine). But it appears maybe you'll be better off at the front of the Grand Tier or Balcony? 

4 hours ago, capybara said:

The Garnier in Paris has a very pronounced rake, which is a help to the audience but an additional challenge for the dancers.

The loges higher up can be good value but with the important caveat that the rail/ledge (can't think of the right word) is alarmingly low - not much more than knee height - so the front row is definitely out for anyone with vertigo.

Compress_20230521_204505_5897.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I agree with the above comments. Definitely avoid the Amphitheatre, which has a perfect view of the stage but is awfully uncomfortable. Balcony is the best, or a 1st row of "premières loges", frontal.

Whatever the floor, avoid boxes numbers 5,6,7,8,23 and 24: They have a huge pillar that obstructs half of the view of the stage. Strangely enough those boxes are not proposed with a discounted price (at the ROH they would definitely be).

At Bastille, try to have a seat in stalls between row 1 and row 15 max. After row 15 the view is really too far from the stage, you only see nano-puppets evolving in a nice picture. This is due to the specific configuration of Bastille stage, where even the curtain is already extremely far from the orchestra pit. At Bastille, row 1 is the equivalent of row F at the ROH (= 6th row....). So imagine when you are in row 20...

Second balcony is also a good choice, chiefly in the sides (as they are located at the level of First balcony and offer a frontal view despite the "side" location).

Like at the ROH, at Paris Opera there are always returns when a performance is sold out, so never abandon to find a seat. And there is also a very efficient marketplace of people who re-sale their ticket. It is managed directly by the Paris Opera and it works quite well. Sometimes you can find much better seats at this second-hand box office than on booking opening day. Follow this link: https://bourse.operadeparis.fr/list/resaleProducts/?page=0&lang=en

Also: the Paris Opera booking website has a disastrous segragating algorithm against people who want to buy only 1 seat: When 2 seats side-by-side are available and you want to buy one of them, the website refuses your choice and automatically send you back to the worst seats possible in the same category of price (example: instead of row 5 at Bastille they would send you to row 26, fakely arguing "you cannot leave an isolated seat available". But at row 26 the seat that they allocate to you also leaves an isolated seat near, so this is absurd). In that case, always call directly the box office: they are extremely kind and aware of this issue, and immediately sell to you the seat you want.

Last tip: Always buy a flexible, refundable ticket for the travel (be it Eurostar or flight), as well as for the hotel: In fact the Paris Opera is very often on strike. This is part of the DNA of the company, it has always been extremely active in social disruption. Since the first day strike became legal in France, in 1864, the very first day after the law was implemented the Paris Opera was on strike... Even in November 11th 1918, when Clemenceau asked that Paris Opera orchestra and chorus sing the Marseillaise to celebrate the armistice, the administration had to implore musicians and members of the choir to accept: Indeed they had been on strike for many weeks... Strikes are the painpoint of Paris Opera and the nightmare of its artistic directors, marketing managers... and the audience!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Are they OK if you don't speak French very well?

Some of them speak English, with a limited vocabulary and a charming French accent, but sufficient to understand your need and provide you a suitable solution.

There remain one or two box office members who do not speak English, but they understand if you speak a few French words.

Globally, the staff who answers at the phone is very kind and always tries its best to give satisfaction.

• Like 5

Hi, I hope this is in the right forum!

I was planning on getting a youth seating for POB’s Manon but it sold out while I was still in the waiting queue! So I managed to find two tickets for a day I can do and I was hoping someone with knowledge of the Garnier seating would be able to tell me what the better choice would be?

I have one in the 1st loge de côté 2 in seat 4

and another in the 1st loge de côté 4 in seat 1

As far as I can see from the 3D view, the first looks like it’s an extreme side view but the second also has a pillar in view so I’m not sure! Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you :)

Hi Arucaria:

Loge 2 seat 4 : seat 4 is a 2nd row isn't it? A 2nd row in extreme side you will see nothing, except if you stand up during the whole performance.

Loge 4 seat 1 : part of the stage wlll be hidden by the pillar. But at least, seat 2 is a first row, so you are able to bend over easily and try to see a little better than at Loge 2

seat 4

Globally both seats are bad for a ballet (for an opera it is ok if you come mostly for the singers and accept to miss part of the visuals)

But no worries. On POB website there is a ticket exchange service (see in the menu sthg like "services"). Where you can resale your tickets and buy better ones. Just be patient, most returns come 3 or 4 weeks before the performance.

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/06/2023 at 12:20, ArucariaBallerina said:

I was planning on getting a youth seating for POB’s Manon but it sold out while I was still in the waiting queue!

Just a quick question about youth seating with POB - do you need to purchase a subscription package for it? That seems to be the case from their website but I just wanted to check. 

Also can anyone recommend the cheapest seats with good sightlines? I've been looking on the website which has helpful views for each seat, but not sure whether it will be the same being there in person.

On 02/07/2023 at 00:39, art_enthusiast said:

Just a quick question about youth seating with POB - do you need to purchase a subscription package for it? That seems to be the case from their website but I just wanted to check. 

Also can anyone recommend the cheapest seats with good sightlines? I've been looking on the website which has helpful views for each seat, but not sure whether it will be the same being there in person.

You don't have to be a subscriber but if you are you can book tickets for the entire season. Otherwise, for one-off bookings, the start dates for booking are : 30 May (Robbins) ; 20 June ( Kylian, Casse-Noisette) ; 19 September (Bejart, Sadeh 21) : 17 October (Ecole de dance, Fille, Don Q, Giselle) ; 21 November ( Ecole de dance performances, Swan lake, Barbe- Bleue )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, SheilaC said:

You don't have to be a subscriber but if you are you can book tickets for the entire season. Otherwise, for one-off bookings, the start dates for booking are : 30 May (Robbins) ; 20 June ( Kylian, Casse-Noisette) ; 19 September (Bejart, Sadeh 21) : 17 October (Ecole de dance, Fille, Don Q, Giselle) ; 21 November ( Ecole de dance performances, Swan lake, Barbe- Bleue )

Great, thank you for the information.

I’ve never been before, would you say the 2nd Circle Side Box, Row 2 is a good area?

5 hours ago, SheilaC said:

Oooo Fille and Giselle sound very tempting.  With the money that I will be saving from the RB next season, and as it would seem that the only way to see Ashton's glorious Fille these days is to go outside the UK, I might well look into a couple of trips to Paris.  

• Like 3

On 03/07/2023 at 16:47, Sim said:

Oooo Fille and Giselle sound very tempting. 

What do you think of the Robbins bill? I'm hoping to go in November.

The booking system seems to be a bit unkind to solo audience members - it's doing that annoying thing where you can't book a seat in an isolated pair without buying both!

Does anyone know how I could get round this on the website?

5 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

What do you think of the Robbins bill? I'm hoping to go in November.

The booking system seems to be a bit unkind to solo audience members - it's doing that annoying thing where you can't book a seat in an isolated pair without buying both!

Does anyone know how I could get round this on the website?

I’m not sure you can but I think I’ve read somewhere if you call the box office they can sort it?

But yes I hate this system that penalises individuals! 

• Like 2