Royal Ballet Autumn 2017 Casting

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, David said:

I see Sergei Polunin has decided to withdraw from his two performances in Marguerite and Armand on 5th and 10th June. So much for the expectations I was building up for the 2017/18 season!

SP's withdrawal is being discussed here:

9 hours ago, alison said:

I think that was Monica Mason's decision: as a tall dancer herself, I think she saw an opportunity to cast some of the taller ballerinas who might not have been dancing some other leading roles during the season.

I suspect the autumn season, from what I can recall of it, probably plays more to Hamilton's strengths, and that for the sort of roles I'd expect to see her in Naghdi may be having to form an orderly queue behind other dancers who have a prior claim :)  Anyway, since she's a Rose Fairy par excellence I would expect to see her in a lot of Nutcrackers, one way or the other.

Yes I think that's probably true regarding the orderly queue and hopefully she is working towards the big parts for the following season but I'm still surprised by all the Hamilton casting - I don't think she has lived up to her potential of late, although it must be said that I didn't see her in Jewels so maybe Im being a bit harsh...

9 hours ago, FLOSS said:

I think that there appear to be a lot of Hamilton performances because she is appearing in the Judas Tree which is being performed as part of the nationwide "MacMillanfest" as well as getting her ration of SPFs I don't think that you can read anything into the casting for the first booking period. The company is only performing four programmes of its own during that time, Alice, Sylvia a mixed bill and Nutcracker.It does not exactly amount to a wide or representative range of its repertory. 

As far as casting and debuts are concerned I am far more interested in Giselle with its 14 performances, and Manon with its 15 performances. Will Naghdi or Hayward be given an opportunity to dance Giselle and who will they dance with? Will Naghdi and Ball dance Manon together? Who will dance with Hayward in Manon? What roles will Bracewell be given during booking period 2 ? These are the really interesting questions to me, not how many SPFs each female dancer has been allocated. If Scarlett settles on a text for Swan Lake which includes a lot of Ashton's accretions  such as the pas de quatre there will be plenty of opportunities for junior dancers to shine. 

Yes of course and I would hope that Hayward will get both Manon as she did so brilliantly in before and I think she could do Giselle. Not so sure about Nagdhi for Manon  - although Ball would be perfect for DG.   She was rather wonderful as Juliet and I wonder when that will be back...

On 5/10/2017 at 21:01, balletyas said:

Yes of course and I would hope that Hayward will get both Manon as she did so brilliantly in before and I think she could do Giselle. Not so sure about Nagdhi for Manon  - although Ball would be perfect for DG.   She was rather wonderful as Juliet and I wonder when that will be back...

I'd love to see Naghdi as Manon. I strongly believe she would surprise us all over again... just as she did when she danced Juliet.

• Like 8

• 4 months later...

Cast changes for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

For performances on 28 September and 14 October, Anna Rose O’Sullivan will replace Sarah Lamb in the role of Alice.

For the matinee performance on 30 September and on 28 October, Tristan Dyer will replace Marcelino Sambé in the role of Jack/the Knave of Hearts.

Link

• Like 3

Feeling very sorry that Sarah Lamb's injury is not yet resolved and that Marcelino Sambe is unable to dance. But delighted that Anna Rose O'Sullivan is now cast as Alice as she seems made for the role.

On another thread there is talk of how difficult it is to avoid 'multi-buys' for Giselle. I seem to have needed to book for more Alices than is financially prudent!!!!

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Sim said:

Funny...I was just wondering today who will/could replace Zen, and Tierney sprang to mind!  So glad she will get this chance.

I really like her - I think she's going to be (already is) one of those "special" dancers who'll shine surprisingly. I was amazed at how she actually made the role of (Accosta's)  Carmen work by throwing herself into it in such a gutsy way that I forgot how dodgy the whole enterprise was!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Vanartus said:

I really like her - I think she's going to be (already is) one of those "special" dancers who'll shine surprisingly. I was amazed at how she actually made the role of (Accosta's)  Carmen work by throwing herself into it in such a gutsy way that I forgot how dodgy the whole enterprise was!

I recall a review of it - by Ismene Brown, I think - which hit the nail right on the head about that.

• Like 1

Zenaida Yanowsky is to return to dance the Queen of Hearts in Alice. See the ROH website: http://www.roh.org.uk/news/zenaida-yanowsky-to-return-to-the-royal-ballet-in-alices-adventures-in-wonderland . Her dates are: 27th Sept., 9th Oct., and 23rd Oct. and include the cinema relay. All performances are with Cuthbertson/Bonelli and other members of the original cast

The other dancers who will undertake the role are listed there as: Morera, Calvert, Heap, and Mendizabel. 

• Like 5

Just now, capybara said:

Zenaida Yanowsky is to return to dance the Queen of Hearts in Alice. See the ROH website: http://www.roh.org.uk/news/zenaida-yanowsky-to-return-to-the-royal-ballet-in-alices-adventures-in-wonderland . Her dates are: 27th Sept., 9th Oct., and 23rd Oct. and include the cinema relay. All performances are with Cuthbertson/Bonelli and other members of the original cast

The other dancers who will undertake the role are listed there as: Morera, Calvert, Heap, and Mendizabel. 

Had a hunch this might be the case when I saw the Alice poster on the underground too with Zenaida Yanowsky's image on it ...

• Like 1

On 15/09/2017 at 15:41, bangorballetboy said:

Cast changes for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

For performances on 28 September and 14 October, Anna Rose O’Sullivan will replace Sarah Lamb in the role of Alice.

Lamb's the lead in the old/new Twyla Tharp piece, isn't she?  I hope she's recovered in good time for that.

• Like 3

It'll need to be the cinema for Zen in my case - except that it's the cast which has been relayed before (and shown on TV?).

Doubly pleased to have moved quickly to snap up tickets when Anna Rose O'Sullivan was announced for Alice as I have also caught Joseph Sissens. Yaaaaay!

I note, with pleasure, the comment in the Independent's review of the Hull Gala that critic Zoe Anderson also wants to see Yasmine Naghdi dance the full role of Sylvia :)

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, capybara said:

I note, with pleasure, the comment in the Independent's review of the Hull Gala that critic Zoe Anderson also wants to see Yasmine Naghdi dance the full role of Sylvia :)

Well who wouldn't??!! :)

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

This will be first time round for me to see Alice.  Is Ed Watson the White Rabbit and which two roles is Steven Macrae dancing?

Steven McRae is dancing Jack/Knave of Hearts (the leading man - for the first time) and The Mad Hatter (the tap-dancing role he created).

2 hours ago, capybara said:

Doubly pleased to have moved quickly to snap up tickets when Anna Rose O'Sullivan was announced for Alice as I have also caught Joseph Sissens. Yaaaaay!

Sadly he's only doing that single performance with what's now Anna Rose's cast - I have a ticket for her other one, when it's Calvin Richardson. No offence intended towards him but I am already seeing him on a different date, so would have preferred to see Sissens - I enjoyed both their takes on it at the recent Insight, and they were so different.  I can't make it additionally on September 28th.

Scheduling issues, presumably.