Royal Ballet Autumn 2017 Casting

Some of it is currently on the ROH website:

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/alices-adventures-in-wonderland-by-christopher-wheeldon

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/sylvia-by-frederick-ashton

I assume the rest of it will be there soon.

Edited to add that there's currently a problem with the listed Nutcracker casting.  Calvert, Kish, Maguire, Dyer and Marriott are down to do every single performance!

Edited again to record that this has now been corrected.  They're now down for 2 performances rather than 24!

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 4

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just checked to see if the rest of the casting had been posted.  So far, only the Concerto/ Baiser de la Fée/Elite Syncopations bill has had any detail added.  Since a number of other companies are involved, they've just listed two Royal Ballet dancers for each of the Elite Syncopations performances

http://www.roh.org.uk/mixed-programmes/concerto-le-baiser-de-la-fee-elite-syncopations

• Like 1

Wait, Hayward and Campbell are still dancing Clara and the Nutcracker?  

The Knave casting for Alice is interesting--I had thought it would be Ball and/or Clarke appearing, not Ball, Campbell, and Sambe.  

1 hour ago, Miriam said:

Wait, Hayward and Campbell are still dancing Clara and the Nutcracker?  

But also Sugar Plum Fairy and her Cavalier on 30/12 and 2/1.  The performance that Hayward and Campbell are dancing Clara and the Nutcracker with Lamb and McRae on 5th Dec is the one scheduled for live cinema relay (the date shown at the side on the website is obviously wrong!). I understand that Opus Arte are issuing a DVD at some stage tho I am not sure whether it is to be the 2016 or the 2017 performance. Whatever the reason I shall still want to see Hayward and Campbell again in both roles! 

Edited by David
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bluebird said:

Some of it is currently on the ROH website:

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/alices-adventures-in-wonderland-by-christopher-wheeldon

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/sylvia-by-frederick-ashton

I assume the rest of it will be there soon.

Edited to add that there's currently a problem with the listed Nutcracker casting.  Calvert, Kish, Maguire, Dyer and Marriott are down to do every single performance!

Edited again to record that this has now been corrected.  They're now down for 2 performances rather than 24!

Nice to see Kish back

• Like 1

Wow, Cuthbertson is dancing a lot in the autumn.  Great stuff.  

Am also looking forward to Stix-Brunell and Muntagirov together in Alice....they dance so well together.  

Osipova as Sylvia?  I can't picture it somehow.  Not because she can't dance it, but I am used to the Sylvias being tall (or appearing to be tall!).  

So pleased that the Hayward/Sambe partnership is being developed.  Glad also to see Naghdi/Ball in something together before the end of the year.  Hopefully there will be more of their partnership in 2018.  

• Like 1

Nice to have things to look forward to, thanks for the summary.

I  think I can manage 2 Sylvias so the question is: which 2 casts- quite a conundrum..but one solves itself- i.e. Muntagirov....

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MAB said:

Tall Sylvias are a modern idea, Margot Fonteyn, the role's creator was five foot four.

I didn't realise Fonteyn was actually that tall.  I always thought she was tiny.  But I did think it odd that last time I saw it, that the tallest dancers in the company seem to have been cast in the role.

Edited to add that personally, I would have loved to have seen Hayward have a crack at this.  

Edited by Fonty

Slightly disappointed with the casting. I had hoped for Yasmine doing more rather than less; only cast for 2 Nutcrackers and one of them on Jan 1st. Of course she may be dancing other roles such as the Waltz of the Flowers lead and other roles in other ballets but still.... I would have loved to see her as Alice. I've always had a dream to see her dance with Vadim. They are 2 such beautiful classical dancers I would love to see them dance together even if it's just once to see what they're like, and Alice would have been a great opportunity for this even if they're not the greatest classical roles. Speaking of Alice it seems a shame they're filming Lauren again as there is at least 1 recording of her as Alice already. It would have been wonderful if Marcellino and Frankie could have been filmed for it. I suspect it's not a ballet a lot of people will go to the cinema and see for the 'big name stars' but the ballet itself so it would have been a great opportunity to film 2 great new stars (that is new as far as the general public is concerned not Forum members!)

I'm still annoyed that Sylvia is not being filmed given (I think) there is only one recording of this ballet with Darcey Bussell and that was ages ago. Wouldn't it have been wonderful to have Marianella and Vadim filmed in this role. What a wasted opportunity. Speaking of filming I see the Kenneth Macmillan programme Concerto, Baiser de la Fe and Elite Syncopations is being filmed. It doesn't seem to be on the cinema list so perhaps it's being filmed for tv seeing as it's part of the Macmillan anniversary celebrations. Ballet on tv? Now there's a novelty!!

• Like 11

I so agree.    Very disappointed by the lack of Nagdhi - seems very strange given how well she acquitted herself this last season. And is it just me but doesn't there seem to be an awful lot of Hamilton! 

Edited by balletyas
Forgot to tuck the notify me box
  • Like 4

jmhopton and balletyas I was equally very disappointed Yasmine Naghdi will barely appear in anything during the Autumn/Winter. Only in "Farewell" and two "Sugar Plum Fairy" performances??? For a dancer who has been truly impressive this Season (and all previous Seasons) in various highly classical roles as well as in other roles, it did come as a surprise indeed. I can only hope we'll get to see her a lot more in the Spring/Summer (such a long wait :( ).

I honestly hope she's not being sidelined as I wouldn't want to see her leave the RB.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fonty said:

I didn't realise Fonteyn was actually that tall.  I always thought she was tiny.  But I did think it odd that last time I saw it, that the tallest dancers in the company seem to have been cast in the role.

I think that was Monica Mason's decision: as a tall dancer herself, I think she saw an opportunity to cast some of the taller ballerinas who might not have been dancing some other leading roles during the season.

12 hours ago, balletyas said:

I so agree.    Very disappointed by the lack of Nagdhi - seems very strange given how well she acquitted herself this last season. And is it just me but doesn't there seem to be an awful lot of Hamilton! 

I suspect the autumn season, from what I can recall of it, probably plays more to Hamilton's strengths, and that for the sort of roles I'd expect to see her in Naghdi may be having to form an orderly queue behind other dancers who have a prior claim :)  Anyway, since she's a Rose Fairy par excellence I would expect to see her in a lot of Nutcrackers, one way or the other.

• Like 1

I think that there appear to be a lot of Hamilton performances because she is appearing in the Judas Tree which is being performed as part of the nationwide "MacMillanfest" as well as getting her ration of SPFs I don't think that you can read anything into the casting for the first booking period. The company is only performing four programmes of its own during that time, Alice, Sylvia a mixed bill and Nutcracker.It does not exactly amount to a wide or representative range of its repertory. 

As far as casting and debuts are concerned I am far more interested in Giselle with its 14 performances, and Manon with its 15 performances. Will Naghdi or Hayward be given an opportunity to dance Giselle and who will they dance with? Will Naghdi and Ball dance Manon together? Who will dance with Hayward in Manon? What roles will Bracewell be given during booking period 2 ? These are the really interesting questions to me, not how many SPFs each female dancer has been allocated. If Scarlett settles on a text for Swan Lake which includes a lot of Ashton's accretions  such as the pas de quatre there will be plenty of opportunities for junior dancers to shine. 

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, FLOSS said:

I think that there appear to be a lot of Hamilton performances because she is appearing in the Judas Tree which is being performed as part of the nationwide "MacMillanfest"

I call that drawing the short straw.

1 hour ago, alison said:

I think that was Monica Mason's decision: as a tall dancer herself, I think she saw an opportunity to cast some of the taller ballerinas who might not have been dancing some other leading roles during the season.

Not sure what else was on that season, but I saw Bussell, and she was usually cast in everything, wasn't she?  I remember thinking she was about as unlike Fonteyn as it was possible to get.  Which is probably why I didn't really enjoy it very much.  I guess it is not a question of height, more a question of the type of dancer you are.  "Athletic"  is not an adjective that was used to describe Fonteyn, I suspect!

I certainly hope Naghdi is given some of the Swan Lake performances.  I would definitely book to see them.

• Like 2