Ahem...Dance Belts and "furniture!!"

MrsMoo2

My DS has several dance belts all lovingly purchased for summer school last year, but he hates wearing them - to he point where he lies about it and wears nothing. However he's off to voc school in sept and they are on the uniform list. This is going to sound like a very, very odd request, but the 'scare stories' people mentioned...there aren't really any other older boys at his current school for me to get him to talk to and I really, really, really don't want to have to google! ?  Like one of the previous posters, I think I might die talking to his teacher about it! Could anyone send me a description of what *might* happen if you don't wear one that I can use to persuade him? Feel free to DM if it's likely to make others squeamish.

Sorry - I did say it's a really odd request! 

• Like 1

I would think you could get a haematoma  (internal bleeding) due to trauma. 

How old is he? I imagine the need for use may come with puberty rather than age per se.  ie when the testicles enlarge. So if he hasn't reached that point then he may not need one yet.

I would imagine at vocational school he may go for it so not to be the odd one out??

Edited by sarahw

At 10 my mother didn't know about jock straps, as we called them, she bought something for me that the girls wore.  Then I developed......went to the Royal Ballet School where we wore "proper" jock straps.  Black ones for under black tights and skin coloured ones for under white tights.  I had the wider ones at the rear, didn't like the thong!  'Tackled' was pulled up to....er...perhaps to look good but also to hold the tackle well and truly firm.  Rudolf Nureyev wasn't satisfied to look good, he wanted to be really noticed and stuffed socks down there!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, alison said:

I'd imagine they are rather flimsier, from what I've seen of them - not that I'm any sort of expert.

Who is flimsier? The rugby players or the ballet dancers????!!!! Sorry, couldn't resist! Doing dance I am sure helped my son's skills on the field.....definitely more supple & disciplined than those who would laugh at him for doing dance class!! 

In seriousness though....which kit is the stronger? That for sport or for dance???? Feel so out of depth here but no way could I ask anyone face to face!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sarahw said:

Peanut I'm afraid a dance belt is not the same thing! I did start a post about the difference between what you may use for gym or dance but can't find it! !

Putting "dance belts" (including the inverted commas) into the Search field finds it quite easily:

• Like 1

You can also Google "Dr Dancebelts Guide" . This is a website covering advice on every aspect of dance belts and you could get your DS to read through it. Basically dance belts are primarily for protection and appearance. Everything is packaged in a forward position, fairly tightly (but comfortably) to limit movement. Without a dance belt , during certain dance movements the testicles could become trapped/crushed between the thighs......very painful I would imagine. 

When putting a dance belt on, all the tackle should be positioned forward with the penis in an upright position (pointing towards the belly button) - swoop & scoop as they say. 

Fortunately our DS didn't seem embarrassed about any of this & fell about laughing the first time he donned one.....walking around more like a duck than a ballet dancer for a few minutes :blink::D

The first time he wore one in class - he announced to his teacher - if I dance "a bit funny" today Miss, it's because I'm wearing my new dance belt !!! - to which she replied - "don't worry I will let you off & well done for trying" . This of course caused much amusement, hilarity & intrigue amongst the girls, which DS just laughed off.....think he secretly liked the fact he now 'needed' to wear one :D

Apologies if this contains a bit more detail than some would like, but I remember knowing very little at the time about such things, and often there aren't any older boys parents to ask at your own dance school. I'm glad our DS got used to wearing one before going to vocational school as its one less concern for them when everything else is new & challenging.

Our DS is fine with them now, although glad to de-robe at the end of the day !! ?

• Like 7

On 12/05/2017 at 21:19, sarahw said:

I would think you could get a haematoma  (internal bleeding) due to trauma. 

How old is he? I imagine the need for use may come with puberty rather than age per se.  ie when the testicles enlarge. So if he hasn't reached that point then he may not need one yet.

I would imagine at vocational school he may go for it so not to be the odd one out??

Thanks Sarahw. Yes, fingers crossed he just wants to be like everyone else! He's only 11 (12 in sept), so although he's big for his age, he's not hit puberty properly yet. xx

On 13/05/2017 at 06:14, Ballet4Boyz said:

You can also Google "Dr Dancebelts Guide" . This is a website covering advice on every aspect of dance belts and you could get your DS to read through it. Basically dance belts are primarily for protection and appearance. Everything is packaged in a forward position, fairly tightly (but comfortably) to limit movement. Without a dance belt , during certain dance movements the testicles could become trapped/crushed between the thighs......very painful I would imagine. 

When putting a dance belt on, all the tackle should be positioned forward with the penis in an upright position (pointing towards the belly button) - swoop & scoop as they say. 

Fortunately our DS didn't seem embarrassed about any of this & fell about laughing the first time he donned one.....walking around more like a duck than a ballet dancer for a few minutes :blink::D

The first time he wore one in class - he announced to his teacher - if I dance "a bit funny" today Miss, it's because I'm wearing my new dance belt !!! - to which she replied - "don't worry I will let you off & well done for trying" . This of course caused much amusement, hilarity & intrigue amongst the girls, which DS just laughed off.....think he secretly liked the fact he now 'needed' to wear one :D

Apologies if this contains a bit more detail than some would like, but I remember knowing very little at the time about such things, and often there aren't any older boys parents to ask at your own dance school. I'm glad our DS got used to wearing one before going to vocational school as its one less concern for them when everything else is new & challenging.

Our DS is fine with them now, although glad to de-robe at the end of the day !! ?

Thanks Ballet4boyz...very useful! xx

Wigglybunny - we also found that when our DS started at vocational school, the subject of dance belts becomes a common subject of conversation amongst the boys, with older boys giving advice to the younger ones . Our DS found wearing his dance belts suddenly for much longer periods of time did cause him some problems - soreness etc. The houseparents have come across this problem many a time, were very sympathetic to DS and asked a couple of the older boys to have a chat with him . He then realised it's often something that improves with the right belt and simply becoming used to wearing them for longer. Sudocrem is very soothing !!! 

• Like 1

Well, plucked up the courage to bring up subject with DS in car on way to dance....deft deflection by way of rugby.....I casually (!!) asked if the coaches had recommended to the team that as they are getting older they wear "ahem.....protective underwear?" The eye roll & look back I got was just classic!!! I then went on to say how it was important to protect his "boy bits" (yes, I really did say that - cringe) just as his sister as she got older had to start to wear a bra to protect her "girl bits" ..."you mean her boobs" is what I got right back at me!!! Well, that told me!! So, now all eye contact ceased as I said "so, shall I order you something from the internet?" 

"Whatever" came the bored reply....and that's a wrap!!! Done! Phew! Well...until I now pluck up courage to buy & put in front of him!!!

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Well we bought one!

We ended up with a wear moi full seat one, and Sammi is thrilled!

Had a dance round the house last night wearing it. ??

Just hope he doesn't go into class on Monday and do a fashion show! Lol! S xx

• Like 9

1 hour ago, MrsMoo2 said:

Well we bought one!

We ended up with a wear moi full seat one, and Sammi is thrilled!

Had a dance round the house last night wearing it. ??

Just hope he doesn't go into class on Monday and do a fashion show! Lol! S xx

at least it;s a full seat one , so  no worse than   speedos  if he does ...  ;)

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 8.5.2017 at 19:59, dancingboy65 said:

Ds has a leotard/dance belt combo for his associate class. Got it from Planet dance, it is one thing less to misplace except he left his pants in the changing room!!

Hello my son 9 years old carries also wears of leotar and dance belt ivan from wearmio this is the first time he has a dance belt.

he is not enthusiastic ,I hope he gets used to it

• 10 months later...
5 hours ago, MrsMoo2 said:

Next question...dance belts!! So far we have gone full seat but need to look for a new one for September, tell me your little fellas favourites...👍👍👍 xx

Wear Moi! 

We found this website helpful. http://www.dancebelt.info/17165091C1D94631B10E/the-complete-guide-to-dance/

It was a lot more comfortable when he’d followed these instructions 😂