Exeunt review of Royal Ballet's Mayerling

An update on this discussion which began in the Mayerling performance thread. I emailed Exeunt but have received neither a reply nor an acknowledgment. However, amendments to their online review now reflect three of the various points I raised:

- inclusion of a fully credited cast photograph

- deletion of extracts apparently transcribed from an overheard private conversation 

- deletion of the phrase 'liver-spotted hands' which referred to an unknown audience member 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Josephine said:

An update on this discussion which began in the Mayerling performance thread. I emailed Exeunt but have received neither a reply nor an acknowledgment. However, amendments to their online review now reflect three of the various points I raised:

- deletion of extracts apparently transcribed from an overheard private conversation 

- deletion of the phrase 'liver-spotted hands' which referred to an unknown audience member 

Good that changes have been made, but cowardly and dishonest to do so only after complaints (and presumably without acknowledgement).

• Like 4

Me, neither.  I commented that their reviewer seemed to have a problem with ROH as her last three reviews from there have all cast aspersions on the patrons.  I asked if they would prefer to see ROH empty and subsequently closed and why those who choose to spend their money on cultural pursuits are considered a legitimate target for derision in a way that others are not.

I closed by offering to review a football or darts match or take a trip dog racing, using similar techniques to Anna Winter and insulting those who choose such leisure events.  I think it is safe to say that I will not be commissioned!

More seriously, I think the ROH Press Office should think twice about extending journalistic courtesies to this so-called critic.

• Like 13

29 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I haven't had a response to my email either.

Somehow I am not surprised.  Any pretensions that this 'magazine' had of being a 'quality' publication have dissipated, as far as I am concerned.

• Like 4

I am also pretty sure that these so-called conversations are made-up.  I go to ROH pretty often and choose to spend my money on high value seats when I can.  My choice which I don't need to defend in any way.  However, I have sat next to people from all walks of life and I have NEVER heard conversations even remotely resembling what this reporters says she heard.  What a remarkable coincidence that each of her last three visits coincided with overheard fodder for her column.

On my last visit I met a confused lady who was a little sharp with the cloakroom attendants and at Woolf Works I overheard an American man comment that 'he hadn't paid all this money to watch two blokes dancing together!'  And that's the extent of it over fifteen years regular patronage.

I note that Ms Winter says her ticket was complimentary.  I think the Press Office should withdraw this courtesy.  Performances are legitimate targets for critics, the audience is not.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Josephine said:

Well done to those who emailed Exeunt. Bad writing is one thing, quoting private conversations is at best ethically ambiguous and attempts of creating some sort of class war over ballet audiences is just beyond tiresome. 

• Like 10

Considering that the ROH publishes in its programmes and cast lists a note about their zero tolerance approach to anyone interacting with staff or fellow audience members in an intimidating,aggressive or threatening manner I should think that they can certainly deny the writer of this odious piece entry. And I speak as one of those she probably objects to-being elderly, sitting in a SC seat, because I can't cope with the amphi and going to ballet rather than spending money on holidays.

• Like 9

I think to ignore all your emails but make corrections is bad mannered  and disingenuous. I very much doubt any of the so called attributed words were ever spoken and that the writer has a singularly unpleasant axe to grind. Any pretentions to Exuent being a serious stage review magazine have vanished into thin air by the repeated use of this reviewer as far as I am concerned.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ninamargaret said:

Considering that the ROH publishes in its programmes and cast lists a note about their zero tolerance approach to anyone interacting with staff or fellow audience members in an intimidating,aggressive or threatening manner I should think that they can certainly deny the writer of this odious piece entry. And I speak as one of those she probably objects to-being elderly, sitting in a SC seat, because I can't cope with the amphi and going to ballet rather than spending money on holidays.

You sum me up, Margaret.  I'm widowed, on the wrong side of fifty-five and have vertigo.  Two darling dogs and a demanding garden pretty much rule holidays out so I spend my cash on good seats at ROH, sometimes treat myself to a meal and a glass or two and then wend my way home.  Occasionally, I buy something new to wear.  I imagine the tumbrils will be coming for us any minute!

(And then there's the brown spots on the backs of my hands - does Ms Winter imagine that these only inflict themselves on 'toffs?')

Edited by penelopesimpson
  • Like 11

Well said, Penelope. It's a matter of personal choice how people spend their money, however much or little they have. Some people would balk at paying £100 for a ticket for the ROH but would happily spend that amount on a new dress or five times that amount on a weekend away. Everyone has different priorities and preferences.

• Like 9

I so agree that the audience should not be the focus of any review. I sit in various places in the ROH and one overhears all sorts of stuff which, to me, serves to demonstrate just how wonderfully diverse the RB's audience now is. That is cause celebration, not criticism.

• Like 11

Aileen, I couldn't have put it better myself. I am tired of people's choices as to how they spend their own money being berated or mocked, as this 'reviewer' chose to do. We all have very different priorities and values and no-one should feel entitled to sit in judgment on others because they have different preferences in terms of how to spend their available money. 

• Like 7

On 06/05/2017 at 11:08, bridiem said:

Good that changes have been made, but cowardly and dishonest to do so only after complaints (and presumably without acknowledgement).

Yes, I agree. As far as I can see the amended version does not state that it is a revision. 

Edit: at the time of writing, the article is now shown as having been edited.

Edited by alison
To correct information

6 hours ago, Coated said:

Well done to those who emailed Exeunt. Bad writing is one thing, quoting private conversations is at best ethically ambiguous and attempts of creating some sort of class war over ballet audiences is just beyond tiresome. 

I agree that the ethical issues around her misguided choice of content are the major cause of complaint. But I have to admit to some fury about her bad writing!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Fiz said:

I think to ignore all your emails but make corrections is bad mannered  and disingenuous. I very much doubt any of the so called attributed words were ever spoken and that the writer has a singularly unpleasant axe to grind. Any pretentions to Exuent being a serious stage review magazine have vanished into thin air by the repeated use of this reviewer as far as I am concerned.

Thank you Fiz. I agree - one of the points made in my unacknowledged email is that the endorsement of such unprofessional work damages Exeunt's own reputation.

• Like 3

Thank you to everyone who has commented on this issue. Reading all the comments here has helped me to feel that I'm not over-reacting. 

Sorry for multiple posts just now. I haven't worked out how to include more than one quote in a single post!

• Like 2

You are definitely NOT over-reacting.  I have written to ROH Press Office as well, copying in the offending reviews, all of which take potshots at the patrons.  I have suggested that they have a duty of care to their customers and that Ms Winter's presence is incompatible with that duty.

It is sad in today's world that there are writers who do not recognise that they have responsibilities as well as rights.  It is impossible to determine quite why this woman seems to hate people who go to ROH, (seemingly oblivious to the irony that she is also a patron), but her attitude to people who upset her by virtue of their presence is juvenile, offensive and irresponsible.    Their 'crime' seems to be that they have paid for their seats and are not in the first flush of youth.  The comment about liver spots is extraordinary and I am amazed it got past the sub-editor.  

What particularly annoys me is that her attitude is so last century.  I have had the privilege to take young guests to the ballet this year who had never been before.  They were all amazed to see so many young people in the audience and what outstanding value the tickets are when you consider what you get, including the pleasures of a magnificent building. None of them had any idea that you could get tickets for less than £50 which is more than you can say for a rock concert.   As Ms. Winter is clearly unable to ignore the terrible chip she carries around on her shoulder, perhaps it would be better for her to stay away from ROH or, next time, ask the Press Office to ensure that she gets a Standing Ticket.

• Like 12

42 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Where she may well be surrounded by Royal Ballet students as I was for Mayerling the other night!! 

That would no doubt spoil her fun - she'd have no-one to attack. (Or perhaps she'd quote them in derogatory fashion too, to show how privileged ballet students are... All grist to the mill etc). :angry:

• Like 6

2 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

You are definitely NOT over-reacting.  I have written to ROH Press Office as well, copying in the offending reviews, all of which take potshots at the patrons.  I have suggested that they have a duty of care to their customers and that Ms Winter's presence is incompatible with that duty.

It is sad in today's world that there are writers who do not recognise that they have responsibilities as well as rights.  It is impossible to determine quite why this woman seems to hate people who go to ROH, (seemingly oblivious to the irony that she is also a patron), but her attitude to people who upset her by virtue of their presence is juvenile, offensive and irresponsible.    Their 'crime' seems to be that they have paid for their seats and are not in the first flush of youth.  The comment about liver spots is extraordinary and I am amazed it got past the sub-editor.  

What particularly annoys me is that her attitude is so last century.  I have had the privilege to take young guests to the ballet this year who had never been before.  They were all amazed to see so many young people in the audience and what outstanding value the tickets are when you consider what you get, including the pleasures of a magnificent building. None of them had any idea that you could get tickets for less than £50 which is more than you can say for a rock concert.   As Ms. Winter is clearly unable to ignore the terrible chip she carries around on her shoulder, perhaps it would be better for her to stay away from ROH or, next time, ask the Press Office to ensure that she gets a Standing Ticket.

Thank you Penelope. Your words have helped, as I have spent a lot of precious time thinking about the issue. It's lovely also to hear about the reactions of your young guests during their recent visit.

The 'rights and responsibilities' aspect is fundamental I think. Exeunt appears to claim the right to publish content which discriminates and is defamatory (in my view), but fails in what I think should be their professional responsibility to engage with feedback when challenged.

The ageism expressed is totally unacceptable. Although the 'liver spotted hands' phrase has been removed, I think hints of ageism still exist in the insulting words which remain. I have thought about contacting Age UK to see if they would take this seriously as the subject of a complaint.

I have not contacted ROH, so it's good to know that you have done so. I would be interested to hear of any actions which may result, if of course you are free to share information from any reply. I realise it may be confidential.

I've been wondering if there are any organisations which regulate the content of professional reviews published online. Exeunt is not on the list of publishers regulated by Ipso. Any suggestions would be welcome!

• Like 4

When I looked at their website exeunt has a long list of contributors but the name Anna Winter does not appear at all which I find strange.  I assume it is a pseudonym used by a member of staff.  It sounds very similar to the name of major journalist Anna Wintour.  Perhaps someone thinks they're being clever.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MAB said:

When I looked at their website exeunt has a long list of contributors but the name Anna Winter does not appear at all which I find strange.  I assume it is a pseudonym used by a member of staff.  It sounds very similar to the name of major journalist Anna Wintour.  Perhaps someone thinks they're being clever.

Yes, I looked at it as well.  Think the whole thing is strange, particularly as Exeunt is so reluctant to make any comment or reply to complaints made by members of the forum.

• Like 2

Might this help? A swift Google search shows that Anna Winter seems to be her real name (apparently she is a recent graduate from Balliol College, Oxford). Similarly her Twitter account says she is from Stoke-on-Trent. 

Ah, so she was also happy to go to one of the best and most posh universities in the world?!  Very depressing if this is now the standard that Oxford is producing....but then I am sure it's not across the board.  I hope!

• Like 5

Seeing as the publication responsible will not engage with posters here that have questioned their integrity regards on line attacks on audience members and outrageous ageism, perhaps we should confront the lady herself.  If I spot this person in the audience myself, I won't hesitate to demand she explains herself.  Her photo is here:  [photo removed by Moderator]

A few years ago the ROH withdrew complimentary tickets from a number of opera writers for a lot less than this, I'm starting to feel uneasy about their priorities if writers of critical reviews are banned whereas writers insulting audience members are tolerated.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Ah, so she was also happy to go to one of the best and most posh universities in the world?!  Very depressing if this is now the standard that Oxford is producing....but then I am sure it's not across the board.  I hope!

And would she really be getting these freebie tickets to review performances (and a job as a so-called 'senior researcher' when she's clearly quite a recent graduate) if she hadn't deigned to go to university where she did? Clearly, privilege is acceptable when it applies to oneself.

• Like 2

Mods, I really think this topic should be left alone now. Yes it was a poor piece of writing (whose most egregious elements have now been edited) but we do have freedom of speech in this country and I think this thread is close to turning into harassment itself.

Edited by Lindsay
  • Like 7

Actually Lindsay I was just beginning to feel uncomfortable with it now.

and I am someone with liver spots on the back of my hands now....much to my chagrin.

All this lady does is reveal her extreme youth and ignorance but I do think now we have all said enough about it.

i think one of the things that must be incredibly hard to understand for anyone under 30 because they have more or less grown up with social media is that there is sometimes a line to be drawn with what you can say and joke around with friends and what is really acceptable in print.

the free speech bit is probably more to do with what you can say and get away with in any society but maybe not so free with some things in print .....especially if the recipient cannot defend themselves ( in this case the old people she wrote about) 

I do deplore the hypocrisy in this case of accepting such an expensive ticket and then criticising others who have paid for similar but she is young and has a lot to learn still!!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LinMM said:

Actually Lindsay I was just beginning to feel uncomfortable with it now.

and I am someone with liver spots on the back of my hands now....much to my chagrin.

All this lady does is reveal her extreme youth and ignorance but I do think now we have all said enough about it.

i think one of the things that must be incredibly hard to understand for anyone under 30 because they have more or less grown up with social media is that there is sometimes a line to be drawn with what you can say and joke around with friends and what is really acceptable in print.

the free speech bit is probably more to do with what you can say and get away with in any society but maybe not so free with some things in print .....especially if the recipient cannot defend themselves ( in this case the old people she wrote about) 

I do deplore the hypocrisy in this case of accepting such an expensive ticket and then criticising others who have paid for similar but she is young and has a lot to learn still!!

That's very true, LinMM. I remember myself at that sort of age and cringe. (But then I still make myself cringe now. :() The difference was that the Internet didn't exist then, for which in some ways I am very grateful.

• Like 3