Academics at WL and Elmhurst

coniger

That is a good question and one I can't answer, despite having an academic child at one of these two schools (Elmhurst).  I know they are given two different levels in their Maths classes but my DD doesn't find the top level challenging enough and has spoken to her teacher about it. But she has told me that one of the boys in her class is very good at maths and they seem to be pushing each other on which is helping. The children have regular assessments in all academic classes and seem to maintain a good standard, or at least my DD's marks have continued to be high. We do have concerns that she may slip back academically but she does continue to push herself and asks questions constantly to help improve her knowledge so we are happy with her progress so far. She is in Y8 and did Y7 at our local state school which has an excellent reputation.  And I don't think she's alone in that from what I hear, most children do well with their academics, even though they do fewer subjects. Hope this helps a little. 

One thing we found useful to consider is not just the academics but the whole picture.

We were travelling more and more to find training as well as increasing hours locally. This does impact on their ability to keep up with homework etc.

My dd went away for Y10 and the above was a major issue for us. Any child dancing (or sport etc) will take a hit on academics eventually. For us we think the overall co-ordination of dance and studies at vocational school may bring the beSt outcome.

I can't comment specifically on Elmhurst/RBS though. Tring has an excellent academic reputation - are you considering there?

My DH wasn't a great fan of the headmaster at Tring - I think he was in a hurry and to be totally honest my DH is looking for any reason not to let my DS go to vocational school.  I think he is scared of the unknown. 

Thanks for replying 

I would let him audition for the schools you've chosen, see what the results are, then take it from there. That way you're not worrying about something that might not happen, if DS is successful, you can then get round the table and make your decisions.:)

• Like 2

Most motivated children at Elmhurst can achieve excellent GCSE results with many achieving numerous A* and As in a limited number of subjects ( my DD achieved 10).Teaching is particularly good in Maths English and History.In Maths several children did further Maths in addition to GCSE Maths .In addition English Language and some French work was completed in Year 10 to reduce the workload in Year 11 .Achieving at A level is more difficult at present 6 options are available- Art Dance Drama English Maths and biology, only 2 may be chosen and only 5 hours per subject per week are timetabled.The options for 2017/18 are changing and I know that Dance isn't being offered.The days are very full in upper school and most students find it difficult to do justice to their A level studies and underachieve, as their first commitment is to dance in 6th form.

• Like 2

Wondering how the vocational schools are preparing for the new GCSEs ......

From what I've seen so far, the GCSEs are harder - much harder - than before. Teachers in top academic grammar and independent schools are worried about the standards required to get good grades on these exams. I wonder how the academic teachers at Elmhurst, WL are preparing ....?

Must admit when my DS joined Hammond from another vocational school, he was very far behind in quite a few subjects.  Turns out previous school had been using supply teachers for up to a year.  Hammond really seemed to have the academics sorted, although there are always bumps and hiccups along the way.  Of course, this is a few years ago now and things have probably changed.

• Like 1

I can't comment on Elmhurst only Hammond but several things celb mentions aren't happening any more in relation to the new GCSE's at many schools. 

Very very few schools are offering further maths as the new maths curriculum now contains material previously only studied at A level. Also completing GCSE's in Year   10 won't happen now as you have to take 8 in one sitting for it to be counted under Progress 8

dd had a bump as meadowblythe puts it in Year 8 with a supply maths teacher but only for half a term & she complained science was not challenging. 

However her Year 9 & now Year 10 maths teachers are/were excellent & are challenging her. 

In English particular difficulties were picked up on very quickly (not addressed in her previous prep school) & strategies put in place which are working. 

The education isn't the same as she would be getting at her brother's private selective school but it's far far better than she'd be getting at our local state school as we are out of catchment for the good schools. the small classes are very beneficial & more importantly she's far happier. I'm still concerned about science, but that might just be that she's not as scientifically minded as she is humanities/English. 

• Like 3

Yes my DD did a mixture of GCSEs and iGCSEs at Elmhurst which is why they don't appear on academic league tables. They did whichever fits in best with the time constraints i.e. Less practical work 

• Like 1