DSs contract news from the Vaganova

CeliB

2 hours ago, CeliB said:

Many thanks lovely people for all your kind words. Will of course let you know the outcome once confirmed.

In answer to ballet4boyz I have posted a lot but all over the place I guess, but a potted history is:

DS started ballet around 10 recreationally, Did one half hour class a week until 12, then when we moved to Sussex found the incomparably wonderful Judy Breen and discovered Vaganova which was life changing... increased to 2-3 classes a week (some at the London Russian ballet school, some associate classes at Legat in Sussex) decided he wanted to pursue as a career so applied to a bunch of top international SIs, was accepted by all and offered scholarship to Kirov in Washington which he attended and was then offered 100% scholarship to the vocational program. So trained there age 14-18, (most influential teacher the lovely Nikolai Kabaniaev). At 18 went to Dutch National Academy to do some extra training before applying to Dutch National Ballet but had a terrible time (there is a whole thread on this!!!) and had to leave after 5 weeks. Came within a whisker of giving up ballet but invited to audition at Vaganova in St Petersburg after one of his ex teachers at Kirov phoned Nikolai Tsiskaridze about him. Persuaded to go and try out and was accepted after only 2 min of class (!). Joined Feb 2016 did one year with Alexey Ilyin and then was advised to do a final year- Tsiskaridze decided to teach the graduate year men's class in which DS was included, and has clearly done a bang up job as all the boys have been offered either Bolshoi or Mariinsky (and several have multiple offers).

Oh and by the way DS got turned down for RBS associates classes twice (age 10 and age 13). And he competed in Prix De Lausanne but didn't do so well (wasn't happy with the classical piece he was advised to do and rather gave up half way through) although he did receive 13 offers from different ballet schools and companies (which is why he ended up going to Amsterdam). 

Through all of this we have consistently been told he was something special, but he struggled with being a late starter, a year of injury (he had a chronic hip problem aged 15 and lost the best part of a year of training until a new teacher identified the cause as skewed posture), a brutal run in with the director of the Dutch NBA which was close to being career ending and a very brave move to Russia at a quite low time in his life. All credit goes to the Vaganova and the warm, lovely cohort of Russian boys who welcomed him as a brother, Nikolai's astounding teaching and mentorship and his loving and caring teachers past and present - all of whom he stays in touch with (especially Judy who has been a real source of support for the whole family).

And all credit as far as my mental state is concerned goes to this fabulous forum and everyone who takes the time to listen, respond and bestow sympathy, encouragement and virtual hugs. Thank you all dear friends.

I honestly don't know how you had the emotional or physical energy to write such a long and lovely post after what must have been such a roallercoaster ride - albeit with a wonderful outcome. Thank you :) xx

• Like 1

Oh CeliB, I'm a wizened old theatre professional, very unsentimental about the performing arts, but your post about your son's training has made me a bit teary-eyed. Toi toi toi to him in his next stage of life.

• Like 3

A very moving post CeliB 

Your DS has always had something special though ....even the exam video you posted doesn't quite capture his particular qualities.

That is something you cannot "train" something innate in a particular individual and goes beyond technique( important as that is of course)

Am so glad that he came through in the end inspite of the various difficulties and your story must give some support to other parents who have children training in ballet and may be going through a bad patch for whatever reason. 

HI Celib. My goodness how outstanding. Such amazing news and so deserved. I felt quite emotional reading your post and I'm just thrilled to bits to hear this. Such a credit to you too. Wishing him all the very best for his sparkling future and you for being a great Mum! With love x

Fantastic news Celib.  Such a wonderful result.  Your post made me quite emotional, and I cannot imagine the emotional rollercoaster you have probably been on over the last few years, the highs and the lows.

Wishing him all the best for a wonderful future  :)

• 4 weeks later...

So after quite a while I am able to confirm that DS will be taking up a contract with the Bolshoi Theatre. It was a tough decision (he did get a formal offer from Mariinsky and his best friend is staying at Mariinsky). The logistics and paperwork are prodigious and complex which is why we have put off announcing until now - as he has only just had a meeting with the managing director of the theatre to confirm the paperwork/insurances/medical exam etc required for his work permit etc. Happily he will be going with 2 friends from Vagaova (Elya, which I can post as I believe from another thread she has officially confirmed this) and one of the other boys who I won't name in case it isn't 'out there'.

He is finally starting to believe its really happening and getting quite excited. Even better he can come back to the UK whilst the paperwork is being processed so we may have a whole summer with him home :)

Thought I should post as so many people asked to know.....x

• Like 42

Great to hear this finally CeliB also good to see the young dancer he has been partnering quite a bit Eleonora Sevenard is also going to the Bolshoi. 

Looks like a trip to Moscow and the great Bolshoi Theatre in 2018 then!! 

• Like 1

This is fabulous news CleB. I've only just come back onto the forum after not been active for ages and ages. Your son deserves his success, he has worked so hard, sacrificed so much and has made some very rave decisions. 

You as his mum can now breath and enjoy his success too. 

• Like 1