DSs contract news from the Vaganova

CeliB

This is INCREDIBLE NEWS!!!! Amazing and inspiring and incredible. What a journey you have already been on and wow, where it is now taking your DS is the stuff of dreams (dreams based on hard work, commitment, sacrifice and of course 100% support from his family.) CONGRATULATIONS!!

• Like 2

CeliB, I saw you'd posted, and opened the thread with bated breath, but this is beyond my wildest hopes (and yours, I'm sure)!  I decided that just Liking it wasn't enough, so I switched onto a different browser so I could actually post :)  Many congratulations to your DS, and I hope and pray that he'll make a decision which will be really good for him.

• Like 1

Wow, what amazing news!  Many congratulations to you all.  Oh my goodness, how on earth will he decide what to do?!  Sometimes, choice is a difficult thing, but a difficulty well worth having!  Please keep us informed.....and best of luck to him. :)

• Like 2

STUNNING news! I've only followed part of your son's journey but I know that he has had setbacks and difficult times and so it's wonderful to hear where all his hard work, grit and determination have got him. Many congratulations to him and to you too.

• Like 2

Well that's truely wonderful CeliB!! I'm certainly not surprised he has been offered a contract have always known he would make it somehow.....but so many and from so many prestigious companies!! What an achievement for your DS 

wow now the BIG decision which one!! 

I know he had a preference for one of these companies a while back but who knows may well have changed his mind once knowing all the details and particular opportunities each Company has to offer.

A wonderful excuse now to go back to Russia next year .....and in Petipa's anniversary year!! 

So chuffed for him and for you and family and for his wonderful former teacher here in Brighton.

• Like 1

AMAZING! Huge congratulations to your son and to his supportive family!

How wonderful to have such a decision to make - I wish him all the best in his deliberations and hope that he has time to think about it and discuss with his teachers, friends and family.

I can't wait to hear where he decides to go xx

• Like 1

CeliB what truly fantastic news. I eventually watched the graduation class with my DD on Sunday and we both thought your son was excellent and, in our opinion, outshone his fellow class mates throughout. Like the others, I can't wait to hear which he picks and what a hard decision it will be. Huge congratulations to your DS x

• Like 2

Amazing CeliB, truly fantastic news & so inspiring for our young boys coming through & embarking on their own journeys !!

i don't know much about your DS' early training etc ....... is there a thread on that as I'd be interested to know his full story ??

You must be bursting with pride - congratulations to your DS & to you for the unwavering support you must have given him.

:D

• Like 1

Such fabulous news and after watching the video, very well deserved.  In an age where 'news' is often depressing, this is wonderfully uplifting to hear.

Many congratulations to your son and also to you for the support you have given to allow him to pursue his dream. Looking forward to finding out where he chooses to accept. Having so much choice is a wonderful position to be in. You must be on cloud nine and bursting with pride. Enjoy the next stage. 

Many thanks lovely people for all your kind words. Will of course let you know the outcome once confirmed.

In answer to ballet4boyz I have posted a lot but all over the place I guess, but a potted history is:

DS started ballet around 10 recreationally, Did one half hour class a week until 12, then when we moved to Sussex found the incomparably wonderful Judy Breen and discovered Vaganova which was life changing... increased to 2-3 classes a week (some at the London Russian ballet school, some associate classes at Legat in Sussex) decided he wanted to pursue as a career so applied to a bunch of top international SIs, was accepted by all and offered scholarship to Kirov in Washington which he attended and was then offered 100% scholarship to the vocational program. So trained there age 14-18, (most influential teacher the lovely Nikolai Kabaniaev). At 18 went to Dutch National Academy to do some extra training before applying to Dutch National Ballet but had a terrible time (there is a whole thread on this!!!) and had to leave after 5 weeks. Came within a whisker of giving up ballet but invited to audition at Vaganova in St Petersburg after one of his ex teachers at Kirov phoned Nikolai Tsiskaridze about him. Persuaded to go and try out and was accepted after only 2 min of class (!). Joined Feb 2016 did one year with Alexey Ilyin and then was advised to do a final year- Tsiskaridze decided to teach the graduate year men's class in which DS was included, and has clearly done a bang up job as all the boys have been offered either Bolshoi or Mariinsky (and several have multiple offers).

Oh and by the way DS got turned down for RBS associates classes twice (age 10 and age 13). And he competed in Prix De Lausanne but didn't do so well (wasn't happy with the classical piece he was advised to do and rather gave up half way through) although he did receive 13 offers from different ballet schools and companies (which is why he ended up going to Amsterdam). 

Through all of this we have consistently been told he was something special, but he struggled with being a late starter, a year of injury (he had a chronic hip problem aged 15 and lost the best part of a year of training until a new teacher identified the cause as skewed posture), a brutal run in with the director of the Dutch NBA which was close to being career ending and a very brave move to Russia at a quite low time in his life. All credit goes to the Vaganova and the warm, lovely cohort of Russian boys who welcomed him as a brother, Nikolai's astounding teaching and mentorship and his loving and caring teachers past and present - all of whom he stays in touch with (especially Judy who has been a real source of support for the whole family).

And all credit as far as my mental state is concerned goes to this fabulous forum and everyone who takes the time to listen, respond and bestow sympathy, encouragement and virtual hugs. Thank you all dear friends.

• Like 41