RB Ashton rehearsal streamed tonight

I just had a flashback to the last time I saw The Dream in an insight event: Ed Watson and Bethany Keating doing the pas de deux.  Since they never danced it together, I'm guessing it was before he was cast as Oberon, which I think was 2005?  And my memory doesn't have it in the Clore, either.  Can anyone remember?  And has it really not featured since, or was I just unlucky to miss it?

I have seen at least two Insights in recent years where Puck was coached - the first with James Hay and maybe also Valentino Zucchetti.  The second with Marcelino Sambe and someone else as Puck. I think the first of those was in the Linbury and may also have included some work on the pdd or maybe Oberon's solo, since I distinctly remember coming away with new respect for the difficulty of the part.  I have a feeling that at least one of those sessions was associated with the run where Polunin was suppose to dance Oberon and then walked out.

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

Has Alexander presented before? He seems a natural. 

This is an excellent outing for Mr. Campbell.  Indeed I felt he was much better - so much more assured - and relaxed in his wit - than some of the other 'professional' presenters we have seen.  Congratulations and thanks to him.  

• Like 14

20 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

I have seen at least two Insights in recent years where Puck was coached - the first with James Hay and maybe also Valentino Zucchetti.  The second with Marcelino Sambe and someone else as Puck. I think the first of those was in the Linbury and may also have included some work on the pdd or maybe Oberon's solo, since I distinctly remember coming away with new respect for the difficulty of the part.  I have a feeling that at least one of those sessions was associated with the run where Polunin was suppose to dance Oberon and then walked out.

Yes, you're right about the first, Lindsay, and about it being in the Linbury, but I don't think Oberon was covered.  Thinking about it, I think it must have been one of those Dream/Song of the Earth double bills, because I know Ed Watson was there taking part in the following piece, and I was thinking that they didn't have an Oberon so perhaps, having danced the role himself, he could have - literally - just stood in so Puck had someone to play off, but he didn't.  I think you're also right about the Polunin connection.

I was in the audience for this event sitting next to Peter Wright! A thrill to see close up a man I have admired for many years. Another thrill was shaking hands with Alex Campbell who was presenting with skill and developing confidence. I wonder how he was chosen or did he volunteer? 

Sad in many ways to watch Zenaida working in part of her farewell work to the company. Such a talent. Lovely to see Jonathan Cope coaching and to watch Gary Avis preparing another great character role. Then the joy of watching the amazing Lesley Collier coaching Francesca and Marcelino. It almost felt as if Lesley could dance a beautiful Titania! The two young dancers worked so well together, a perfect pairing. It was interesting to see how Lesley,while complimenting Francesca's beautiful musicality, turned a graceful movement into a movement with meaning. Kevin joined in with coaching at one stage. Continued to do so after live screening. Wish I could see this young couple in performance but I will Laura and Alex, very happy with that. Roll on June 10th! 

What a great evening and I can watch it all again on ROH utube.

• Like 10

It's so enjoyable and such a privilege to be able to watch these insight events. I didn't want to stop watching the rehearsal with Hayward and Sambe, I could watch for hours I think! I loved how Collier was so gentle in manner when coaching, but still managing to get her point across. For me it was a really wonderful watch!

• Like 4

Have just watched this and would echo all the comments above. Brilliant dancers and such kind, expert, tactful and enlightening coaches. And a very helpful talk on Ashton by Stephanie Jordan - just the right length to inform without turning it into a full-scale lecture. Really, the depth of knowledge and skill on display was breathtaking. I was especially delighted to see and hear from Lesley Collier, who is still so beautiful and expressive. And to see Alexander Campbell prove that his talents really know no limits!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Mary said:

Hear, hear.

Wow, WHAT an improvement in presentation!  It would be great if Alexander took over the live screenings.

I agree it would be great to have Campbell - but would not want to limit his dancing appearances.  I think it would be great to have a selection of articulate dancers host - so the worldwide audience might be able to get to know them better.  They could rotate - much as the Met does with its star hosts (e.g., Fleming, DiDonato, Domingo, etc.)  After that brilliant BA talk, I'd love to see A. Rose O'Sullivan take on a couple.  I'm sure she'd be brilliant too.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

I agree it would be great to have Campbell - but would not want to limit his dancing appearances.  I think it would be great to have a selection of articulate dancers host - so the worldwide audience might be able to get to know them better.  They could rotate - much as the Met does with its star hosts (e.g., Fleming, DiDonato, Domingo, etc.)  After that brilliant BA talk, I'd love to see A. Rose O'Sullivan take on a couple.  I'm sure she'd be brilliant too.  

Campbell limit his dance appearances- heaven forfend!

I totally agree and have said before, being known to bore on for some time on the subject, that  there are many RB dancers and  coaches and other staff who would be excellent in this role. 

4 minutes ago, Mary said:

there are many RB dancers and  coaches and other staff who would be excellent in this role. 

For example, the few times I have seen Sarah Lamb speak I have thought what a fine presenter she might make.

• Like 3