News: Birmingham Royal Ballet performing the Nutcracker at the Royal Albert Hall this Christmas

I've just picked this up via Twitter:

BREAKING NEWS: London, Christmas is coming...

For the first time ever, Birmingham Royal Ballet and Royal Albert Hall are proud to present The Nutcracker! A new version of our universally-acclaimed, quintessential Christmas ballet will bring the festive season to life on the world’s most famous stage for seven performances from 28 to 31 December 2017 with spectacular new staging, video and projection created especially for this unique production.

Featuring choreography by Sir Peter Wright, Vincent Redmon and Lev Ivanov (choreographer of the original 1892 production), The Nutcracker follows young Clara as she is swept away into a fantasy adventure through an enchanting winter wonderland of dancing snowflakes to the magical Kingdom of the Sweets.

David Bintley, says: “Our wonderful Nutcracker has been an essential part of Christmas in Birmingham for over 25 years, and I am so proud to be part of the team producing a brand new version of our classic production for London audiences. There is nowhere more Christmassy than the Royal Albert Hall, and no other production that so fizzes with festive energy.”

The Royal Albert Hall’s specially-adapted version will blend the best of the old and the new, using innovative projections from Olivier and Tony award-winning company 59 Productions (National Theatre’s War Horse, Sydney Opera House VIVID Festival) to bring to life the entrancing, wintry world of The Nutcracker.

Tickets on sale Thursday 4 May at 9am. 

https://www.brb.org.uk/post/announcement-birmingham-royal-ballet-take-christmas-to-london

• Like 4

A chance to see Delia Mathews and Brandon Lawrence in SPW's Nutcracker - with the wonderful BRB - NOW THERE'S A GIFT INDEED!

What with the SPW's Nutcracker at the ROH ...  and ENB's at the Coliseum ... we will, I imagine, be all nutted out! :)    (Still could be worse fates known to man :)   

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 5

I've just received an email from BRB, which says in part

"Tickets for our brand new production of The Nutcracker at the Royal Albert Hall go on sale on Friday 5 May 9am, not Thursday 4 May as previously stated. We sincerely apologise for any confusion caused by this error. "

13 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Anyone know ticket prices? I'm trying to look but am in a "waiting room" on the RAH site. 

Cheapest price £35 (circle restricted view)  Top price £85 (Grand Tier)

Other prices: Stalls and Loggia £80.  Second Tier £75  Arena £70 Front Circle £50 Rear Circle £45

It's stated on the website that all prices include fees

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

On 02/05/2017 at 15:14, Two Pigeons said:

Welcome news but I wish you luck getting the casting you hope for in time to book.

Fortunately (or unfortunately), because I so rarely get to see BRB, I don't have firm favourites as I do at RB and ENB.  I've booked by date DH can drive me to the RAH and I'm sure I'll be delighted with the cast. :) 

Plus I often have to go for date as opposed to dancer with ENB who take an age to announce casting. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alison said:

Flippin' heck.  At those prices, perhaps I'll try getting to Birmingham instead.  They're not doing gallery standing?

But Alison - with travel - is it really less expensive to attend the likes of the popular BRB programmes (such as The Nutcracker) at the Hippodrome?  In my experience any savings would be marginal for such as there..  That is why I have tried to go to less seemingly popular triple bills and have been sometimes lucky enough to get in for £10.  Even then there have been swathes of red I seem to recall.  That brilliant Ashton double bill - so beautifully rendered - of The Dream and Month was just such a case.  So, so very sad.  I certainly wouldn't begrude the Company their RAH prices.  I'm sure - with the venue demands - that they are as reasonable as BRB could make them.   

Also I was not aware that they sold standing at the RAH for anything short of the Proms.  If they do - I certainly would love to hear about it.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

Well, they did for Carlos.  Not that that was cheap either, as I recall.

And yes, Bruce, I reckon I could do the Hippodrome a bit more cheaply than the RAH (at least for the "bronze" prices), and certainly if I wanted a seat with an equivalent view.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jules_skichick said:

Enb occasionally offer gallery standing.....Not many performances though and quite random but cheaper than circle ...

Is this when it is entirely otherwise sold out at the RAH, Jules.  That is, I think, a big ask ... but still it's nice to know that it is done.  

Last question:  I assume that they don't advertise this ... and the information on standing is only available at the RAH box office directly.  Am I correct in that assumption?  

• 6 months later...

From this week's Links, in the Daily Telegraph:

" (As a bonus, BRB this year is also bringing to the Albert Hall a specially adapted new version of this production, complete with fancy projections and none other than Simon Callow as the voice of Drosselmeyer.) "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/dance/what-to-see/why-the-nutcracker-is-the-perfect-ballet-for-children/