RBS Junior Associates 2017

Balletmumlife

Schools are odd. My DD got a Y6 JA place and, because a younger child failed to get a Y5 place, my DD's achievement wasn't acknowledged publicly within the school at all in case the other girl was upset by it. Now I understand that but was upset on my child's behalf that nothing was made of her success. Still feel that way now as her dance teacher also has never publicly congratulated her on any of her achievements but shouts out about other girls (my DD is her only former student who made it to a vocational school & got got an IDTA Ballet Theatre Awards nomination, as well as MAs, finals at WL & Elmhurst etc, not that I'm at all bitter about it). My DD doesncare as she's where she wants to be & is loving it!!  

Just make the most of her achievements yourself as you have every right to be proud of her.  And we'll all join in too!

• Like 6

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Dancingmummy said:

My DC is currently in year 3 and got a JA place in London for 32 sessions. Have told her school (academic) about it and they couldn't care less. Anyone else had similar? 

Yes I remember dd's school showed no interest in her JA achievement. In the area where we live though I think a sporting achievement such as in Rugby would be considered far more exciting.

I did find a plus side to the situation though, as it helps to keep you grounded and keep expectations realistic and in perspective which will protect your dd in the future. It is possible to get a bit 'swept up' in the situation which can come at a cost.

• Like 4

Dancingmummy, do the school know what an achievement this is? I know that DD's primary school was accustomed to girls winning medals and trophies at dance festivals and never made too much of their achievements, especially as they seemed to be bringing in medals after every weekend. If they don't appreciate the competition for JA places and just what an honour it is to be selected for RBS training, they won't realise how amazingly well your DD has done. It is akin to being selected for county sports teams or youth orchestras etc. 

If if I were you I would write a short paragraph detailing the competition for JA places and take it in to give to the headteacher for inclusion in the end of term newsletter and ask that your DD is also congratulated in assembly if that is what happens with sporting or musical achievements. 

• Like 3

Yes, schools are incredibly different in their attitudes.  At dds primary school they allowed medals or certificates into morning worship to be presented to children with a huge round of applause and well done from the head teacher. The headteacher was very supportive of her doing JAs on Fridays and allowed her all the time off she needed, and even now asks me about her and her dancing. However, her class teacher didn't understand at all and used to get a bit confused and think she was going for loads of ballet exams and get a really grumpy.

At her secondary school they have an achievement board in reception which are they are positively encouraged to use. My dd finally plucked up the courage to bring in a picture of herself at her final RBS MA class of the year and the school asked my permission to do a feature on dds ballet in the September school magazine and on their website too. She was over the moon and I think it's has given her a huge boost of confidence. I just wish I had some lovely professional shots of her to give them ! 

So, yes schools and infact different staff in schools, can have very different attitudes. I would just carry on regardless and well done to your dd!! 

• Like 7

23 hours ago, Dancingmummy said:

My DC is currently in year 3 and got a JA place in London for 32 sessions. Have told her school (academic) about it and they couldn't care less. Anyone else had similar? 

That's a real pity - they obviously don't appreciate what a huge achievement it is. Why don't you do a short summary of the stats involved (1300 applicants nationally, around 200 in your region for 16 places etc. etc. ) and add a bit about the Royal Opera House, Darcey Bussell ........it might dawn on the school just how well your DC has done.

Our Head teacher asked me to write something to publicise DDs achievement and then gave her full support, even confirming her backing for 14 Friday mornings off school to attend training.

Good luck Dancingmummy.

• Like 5

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 19:30, Littlebear said:

I bought Next BOYS plain navy joggers - much better fit!! Age 8 is perfect ?

Hi, just received the RBS sweatshirt/jacket (DD very excited!) but the Zara joggers I bought to go with it, instead of the huge RBS joggers, are a different navy. They are a lovely slim fit though. Do the Next joggers match the colour of the jacket? Anyone found a match elsewhere? :)

22 hours ago, lspendl828 said:

Hi, just received the RBS sweatshirt/jacket (DD very excited!) but the Zara joggers I bought to go with it, instead of the huge RBS joggers, are a different navy. They are a lovely slim fit though. Do the Next joggers match the colour of the jacket? Anyone found a match elsewhere? :)

Hello,

I searched for navy track suit bottoms to match the associate sweatshirt too. 

By chance I found Jacadi, it's £15 on sale now (-50%. French narrow leg cut. It's the closest shade of navy I found and it is online too.

https://www.jacadi.co.uk/summer-sale-ss17/all-sale-ss17/stretch-trousers-2011619.html   

My Dd is 148cm tall (in case here are some parents with tall girls)

Option 1. Jacadi joggers Size 12 pants inside leg seam measurement is 65cm. That reachers my dd ankle, but looks nice. Top part is a little big. However, waist has two adjustable elastic with buttons.  

Option 2. I ordered RBS JA pants in size 12-13 years for her inside leg measurement of 72cm

RBS joggers for 9-11 years -for 65 cm measurement, would have been too short. 

For 12-13 years -71 cm is good length wise but the width fits an adult comfortably ;) I am not joking.

I requested a local tailor to cut 10 cm of material from each side to create a better fit - and still ample room there.  

RBS JA pants cost £14.99 plus £15 to tailor...most expensive option.

Option 3. Bought Zara joggers in size 9-11 (for 150cm height) they are too short in length and very big around belly/bottom.  Those are priced best at £6 appx on sale but I also thought the shade in new item looked already washed off as compared to the Deep blue of the RBS JA top.   I returned it.

9-11 RBS JA zip up jacket is wide but at least the sleeves are Ok - from the neck to wrist it's 63 cm.

I just heard RBS JA sweatshirt and track suit bottoms are optional? Is it correct?

The white leotard's cut is not great. It can't be re-tailored. Will have to endure this one.

x

• Like 1

On 03/07/2017 at 19:38, Dancingmummy said:

Congratulations to your DD! Year 4 places in London are rare.  It could indeed be that the school doesn't yet know how competitive the RBS JA selection process is.  

My DD gained a place in JA year 5 in London for next year. The Headteacher congratulated her wholeheartedly. My DD requested not to celebrate it in the assembly because her dear friend auditioned too but didn't get in this year. DD said it wouldn't be considerate towards her friend. 

Could it be that there are more kids who auditioned from your school for the same program? 

Don't let the little cloud spoil your party.  See you in September in Covent Garden. 

As far as I'm aware (well, my daughter certainly hasn't been told otherwise in the 3 years she's been an RBS associate!) the tracksuit is entirely optional. My daughter usually wears black leggings and a bright red t-shirt over her leotard. Her t-shirt even has 'RAD Associates" printed on it!!

Edited by glissade
  • Like 3

Tracksuit definitely is optional. They're never worn into class so purely for travelling in. I'd say 90% had the zip up top in my dd JAs throughout the years. With regards to the bottoms, about 60% had them in yr 4/5 but only about 10/20% still wore the bottoms come year 6. Most wore leggings, other tracksuits, jeans, shorts, or other ballet warm up stuff. 

• Like 3

Thanks Anna Sophia.

The sizing of RBS joggers is stupid for the target market! The tracksuit isn't compulsory but I wanted DD to have it just to make her feel that bit special. My DD is so slim but her inside leg is 67cm so the Jacadi joggers will be too short in the smaller size and very large, all round, in the bigger size. Might do what you've done Annasophia.

I'm not that impressed with the sweatshirt actually - the zip is a bit dodgy and gets stuck at every other attempt to fasten/unfasten it. I'm contemplating returning it for another.-_-

The white leotard  is a bit wrinkly at the crotch but I'm not sure if it's because it's too small. I ordered a size 1 but I'm going to reorder a size 2 to see which one's best. Aaaaarrrggggghhhh.......

Other than that I'm completely happy! :lol:

• Like 3

13 hours ago, glissade said:

I should also add that the tracksuit bottoms leave navy fluff all over tights and socks, even after multiple washings! 

Try washing them inside-out. That worked with some tracksuit bottoms that dd had a while ago.

(fills your washing machine with fluff instead!!)

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 2

Unfortunately the issues with inappropriately sized JA uniform is longstanding and I wouldn't hold out much hope that they'll ever get on top of it......

I think there was some improvement in recent years - I think maybe the leotards were changed to be less see through....

1 minute ago, Tiaramum said:

Morning all. Quick random question for those that have their school reports. How are the auditons/workshops/dance exams counted by your school? Authorised absence or educational visit? Thanks in advance x

When dd was in Junior Associates, her (state) primary headteacher marked ballet absences as Educational Visits, so as not to effect any of her attendance records. It doesn't take many absences to send them over and receive a awful attendance letter from the council, my son received one after only 4 days of at right at the beginning of the school year with a stomach bug and he wanted to make sure that didn't happen down to her when she was off school working hard at her ballet! Apparently the council send them out not the school.  Mind you, she did associate on a Friday so it was really relevant.

The secondary school she is at now is private, so it's so much easier.  Though, I think they mark them as authorised absences, although they do this for their own school trips and residentials too.

13 hours ago, Tiaramum said:

Morning all. Quick random question for those that have their school reports. How are the auditons/workshops/dance exams counted by your school? Authorised absence or educational visit? Thanks in advance x

Our Head is treating DDs Friday morning absences as Educated Off Site which means it doesn't count as absence at all. Thank goodness!

Before I approached the Head I phoned the LEA and they told me the same thing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Littlebear said:

Does anyone know anything about an October workshop for the JA's?  Is this just for the older children or for all age groups?  Be interested to find out more...

No, I don't know anything about it. How did you hear about it Littlebear? I guess we will be told about these things by the teacher?

1 minute ago, Littlebear said:

Hi Pixie, no and I can't find anything about it so I'm wondering if I dreamt it?!  But I'm pretty sure someone mentioned something about one when I told them DD had been accepted. 

This is what was mentioned in the Handbook we were sent:

The school aims to invite all Associate students to attend one pre-general rehearsal at the Royal
Opera House in Covent Garden during the year. In addition, we try to invite students to attend a
workshop held at the Upper School to enhance their training. Invitation to events will be sent by
email and parents will be asked to submit a short form online along with payment.

Last year all years were invited to day workshop at Covent Garden rbs (separately in their year groups) & another workshop run by ballet boys exclusively  rbs only. They were also invited to attend pre release rehersal ballet at the ROH

these are all optional & limited on space. We attended some but not all. 

Edited by Pretty in pink

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/06/2017 at 13:13, Dancey said:

Sorry to hear about the not yet email for your son.  If you are in travelling distance of Tring then you might like to look at their Kickstart for Boys workshops ( scroll down the link below)   Apologies if you already know of this scheme or it is too far to travel.  

http://www.tringpark.com/associated-courses

Hello all, I know this was months ago but I just wanted to thank you for advice and let people know I have just signed little DS up for a taster session at Kickstart at Tring Park. Hopefully he'll love it and they'll like him! Also off to see Sergei Polunin in December; little DS and older DD's favourite! All very exciting. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

just wondered if anyone knew how many auditioned and how many places were Available or given this year for year 4 (or year4/5) London associates? 

Her school want to do a write up about my daughter getting a year 4 place and asked me these questions to which I didn't know and not sure if any way of finding out?