RBS Junior Associates 2017

Balletmumlife

16 hours ago, Meglorien said:

Who did you contact? My DD's teacher wants to do this, but we're not sure who we should email. Or should it be done by phone?

Congratulations to all that got off the SWL!

Hi Meglorien, your DD's teacher may try to contact the Associate Programme Manager, Sylvia Hubbard.   She was one of the 3 judges on the selection panel in London.  I do not know which way will be best to contact.  If you DD's teacher calls the associates number on their email perhaps it might be easier? 

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2017-6-25 at 08:18, Annasophia said:

Hello Margarite and Dancer123, your daughters are amazing dancers.  YDA Associates is a great program.  I had a chance to see an open class yesterday for parents.  I don't know how the selection process works at RBS.  I didn't expect my DD to get a JA place, she was 20 cm taller then everyone in her JA audition class.  (above 99percentile height for her age group)  In fact she is only 9 but often mistaken for a 11-12 yo.   'Not yet' is a difficult answer for children to digest.  We had a very recent experience of MT Matilda audition and there despite standing in deep X she was too tall even for ensemble roles.  She really wanted to be in that musical, knows every song and learned the dance routines by watching youtube videos.  In that case we know the door is now closed for MT children roles.  By the time she turned 9 she was too tall. 4 years of MT dreams, drama school classes with singing, drama, jazz, tap, street dance classes. But all this training is beneficial long term.  Please encourage your girls to continue.  Reading about many dancers it wasn't easy for any of them. 

Annasophia my dd is also head and shoulders above other children her age ( 99 percentile range), always has been. Her daddy is 6'4".  She didn't audition for yr4 but got accepted to RBS JA's for yr5/6 and MA'S 7/8 and now going to Elmhurst in September, so keep trying, my dd seems to have stopped growing now so will prob find all the other children will catch up. Interestingly there are some very tall children at Elmhurst, whereas I think they do like them slightly more petite at RBS, despite Darcey being 5'7" - and that was a few years ago now. 

My dd1 and dd2  have never been able to apply for panto/MT as had to be over age 8 and under 4'6" - impossible!! But... I believe the rules change slightly when they get to 12 and can apply for the older roles, so there is still opportunity. Have a look at English Youth Ballet, size isn't an issue and they travel round the country and hold auditions looking for up to 100 children. Dd did Coppelia - amazing experience.

Hope this is all encouraging, there is more than 1 ballet school, and some of the others are just as good. 

Xx

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TBG said:

Annasophia my dd is also head and shoulders above other children her age ( 99 percentile range), always has been. Her daddy is 6'4".  She didn't audition for yr4 but got accepted to RBS JA's for yr5/6 and MA'S 7/8 and now going to Elmhurst in September, so keep trying, my dd seems to have stopped growing now so will prob find all the other children will catch up. Interestingly there are some very tall children at Elmhurst, whereas I think they do like them slightly more petite at RBS, despite Darcey being 5'7" - and that was a few years ago now. 

My dd1 and dd2  have never been able to apply for panto/MT as had to be over age 8 and under 4'6" - impossible!! But... I believe the rules change slightly when they get to 12 and can apply for the older roles, so there is still opportunity. Have a look at English Youth Ballet, size isn't an issue and they travel round the country and hold auditions looking for up to 100 children. Dd did Coppelia - amazing experience.

Hope this is all encouraging, there is more than 1 ballet school, and some of the others are just as good. 

Xx

Thank you TBG, I will definitely look at EYB. 

My DD will be starting the RBS JA yr5 group in September - lucky this year.  She is now preparing for a tour with LCB - she loves any opportunity to dance.  

We were at the 'In conversation with Zenaida Yanowski' session at the Royal Opera House last week.  Zenaida shared her experience being a tall dancer and how tall ballerinas can face difficulties being cast into certain roles. I hope the situation will improve :) 5'7" outside ballet world is considered average. x

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MoreExcited said:

Had a whirlwind few days whilst the news sinks in are there any others on here with DD/DS starting yr 4/5 Birmingham? DD was one of the youngest to audition at her centre so I'm hoping she will make friends quickly, she would have known a few at Bath but no one at Birmingham. She's completely calm about it lol, it's me who feels nervous for her! 

How many sessions are you doing ? 

We are Birmingham year 5 for the 24 sessions x

• Like 1

Ahh my dd did the JA 1 class in Birmingham for yr 4/5. It's a mixed boy girl class and they try and partner the children up for corner work if they have enough boys which is simply too cute xxxxx You have got THE most wonderful teacher there in Birmingham. Your children are going to love her!!!  ? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Balletmum55 said:

Ahh my dd did the JA 1 class in Birmingham for yr 4/5. It's a mixed boy girl class and they try and partner the children up for corner work if they have enough boys which is simply too cute xxxxx You have got THE most wonderful teacher there in Birmingham. Your children are going to love her!!!  ? 

Thank you for the insight, getting excited now! Still keep thinking I've dreamt it. It's going to be a long summer!

• Like 1

Hi everyone, my dd was offered a place at Totnes centre yr 6 JA 2. We have just received the leotard in a size 1 and it's perfect and the nude pants in a medium they look tiny but of course stretch. We also went for the zip up jacket i went for a 9-11 it's quite big so it will last her a few years ?... 

She is so excited roll on September ?

Xxxx

1 hour ago, Littlebear said:

Does anyone know why some people are offered 24 weeks and some 32? 

I think on the application you can put a preference down ! We put the 24 sessions, I have heard the Birmingham ja1 teacher is lovely my dd can't wait :D  

@MoreExcited I feel like I've dreamt it too ?? I must of checked ourour email several million times x

• Like 3

On 27/06/2017 at 19:10, Balletmum55 said:

No haven't got any yet, I'm thinking Zara or Abercrombie as both a slim fit so will keep my eye out. 

? Humungous is the right word! They are  ridiculous aren't they for the target audience! ? 

Mind you, my dd gave up on them most of year 6 and wore leggings, shorts or jeans most of the time, as did a lot of the girls, so I may not even get joggers. 

I would have bought them and had them tailored to size to keep the RBS logo, but without it I can't see why anyone will buy them as they remind me of MC Hammer pants ? ... or perhaps that's just showing my age!! 

I bought Next BOYS plain navy joggers - much better fit!! Age 8 is perfect ?

22 hours ago, Littlebear said:

Thank you - great idea, have ordered several pairs so will wait for the postie! 

On 28/06/2017 at 13:04, Balletmum55 said:

Ooh good tip! 

I've had these before in grey and lovely slim fit. They do them in navy and look like a good colour match x 

https://m.zara.com/uk/en/sale/kids/girl-|-4-14-years/leggings-and-trousers/basic-plush-trousers-c0p4261670.html

Hi sarahw thanks for the tip, I've just bought Next Boys joggers and they're much better - plain navy! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MoreExcited said:

I picked up this one online...http://www.roh.org.uk/products/royal-ballet-shoulder-bag-pink if that's any help.

Thats the one my dd has had all through JAs. Well we purchased it from the ROH shop on her first JA workshop in London in the October half term that they started. It's massive, has lots of useful pockets and is very good quality. She had it in the black and I think it will continue to last her for many years xx 

43 minutes ago, Balletmum55 said:

Thats the one my dd has had all through JAs. Well we purchased it from the ROH shop on her first JA workshop in London in the October half term that they started. It's massive, has lots of useful pockets and is very good quality. She had it in the black and I think it will continue to last her for many years xx 

MoreExcited and Balletmum55, thank you for the useful tip, will be ordering one today. :)

1 hour ago, SissonneDoublee said:

Has anyone else found the leotard is very baggy around the crotch? The rest of the fit is good, but the crotch is all wrinkly. Do you think going down a size would help?

Hi SissonneDoublee, can I ask what size you ordered? My DD has a Y6 place too and I'm just about to order the leo now that I've got her school's backing for Friday mornings off (in Manchester). She normally wears age 9-10.

1 hour ago, lspendl828 said:

Hi SissonneDoublee, can I ask what size you ordered? My DD has a Y6 place too and I'm just about to order the leo now that I've got her school's backing for Friday mornings off (in Manchester). She normally wears age 9-10.

Great news that your school is so supportive! So glad Eastleigh is Saturday only, as I work Mon-Fri. I ordered a 2, which is DD's normal leotard size, but it does seem to come up big. She wears age 9-10 in normal clothes, but her height is mostly leg. I've now also ordered a size 1 so we can pick the best one and send the other back, but I wish I had ordered both in the first place, as we have forked out twice for postage! Good luck with finding the perfect fit! xx

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SissonneDoublee said:

Great news that your school is so supportive! So glad Eastleigh is Saturday only, as I work Mon-Fri. I ordered a 2, which is DD's normal leotard size, but it does seem to come up big. She wears age 9-10 in normal clothes, but her height is mostly leg. I've now also ordered a size 1 so we can pick the best one and send the other back, but I wish I had ordered both in the first place, as we have forked out twice for postage! Good luck with finding the perfect fit! xx

We have done this ? 

I'm keeping the size 1 for her to grow into as it's another postage cost to send it back 

I should of known really as she is tiny ! 

Also need to send the joggers back I have ordered the next ones and may order the fruit of the loom ones off eBay in the 5-6 see which ones dd prefers 

X

Apparently they won't accept returns...I asked when I ordered the leotard as I was thinking of ordering 2 sizes to save on postage. My daughter is 136cm tall and I ordered size 2. It isn't ideal but isn't that big either...although there is room for her to grow. 

Edited by Pixie

46 minutes ago, lspendl828 said:

Their website says you can return within 7 days. Hope they honour it as I've just ordered a size 1 based on DDs measurements but it might be too small.

When I asked them about returning one they said this wasn't possible because of the print in the back making it a customised item...not sure it makes sense and maybe you will have more luck with it 

35 minutes ago, Pixie said:

When I asked them about returning one they said this wasn't possible because of the print in the back making it a customised item...not sure it makes sense and maybe you will have more luck with it 

Ah......is that the RBS logo maybe? In that case, you're right, they won't take it back. :(

On 25 June 2017 at 22:19, ButterflyBallerina said:

My dd is the same year 5 place but small for her age 

She wears age 7 in next and between a 5-6 and 7-8 river island 

She wears a 6-7 in the mirella Leo range

The size 1 bags in places so is quite big in her 

It's a different material to her others and defiantly a lot bigger than her others 

Hope that helps ?

X

Thank you so much - your DD does sound a bit smaller than my DD but think I will still go for the 0 and hope for the best ? X

15 hours ago, Dancingmummy said:

My DC is currently in year 3 and got a JA place in London for 32 sessions. Have told her school (academic) about it and they couldn't care less. Anyone else had similar? 

That's really sad they don't seem to care :( My daughters school were very supportive and so pleased when she got the yes. 

9 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

That's really sad they don't seem to care :( My daughters school were very supportive and so pleased when she got the yes. 

15 hours ago, Dancingmummy said:

My DC is currently in year 3 and got a JA place in London for 32 sessions. Have told her school (academic) about it and they couldn't care less. Anyone else had similar? 

I have to say that I told the school and they offered to put something about her in the newsletter and a feature on the school's website but the newsletter is not particularly relevant as they tend to use an app for any school related communications so I am not sure how well read it is. I also looked up the school's website and the page where pupils' successes are shared is rather well hidden and difficult to find. But at least they did offer to do that.