RBS Junior Associates 2017

Balletmumlife

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

Can anyone tell me if the JA tracksuits come up big or small please? My dd is only 8 but tall for her age and skinny! Not sure if we should order 7-8 or 9-11?

The tracksuits come up big. The jackets are not too bad actually but the bottoms are very wide indeed!!!!   My dd had the age 7-8 throughout JAs (the jacket still fits her and she's 11!). The bottoms got a little short for her, especially at the end of year 6 ? but still loads of width room!

A heads up though ....  The bottoms this year are totally plain and haven't got the royal logo on as apparently they've decided against it so I've returned the bottoms and just bought the new zip up this time and am going to get some slimmer fitting plain navy bottoms that are more flattering xxx 

Edited by Balletmum55
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Annasophia said:

Ladies, if it helps, it is also possible to get RBS JA audition feedback.  Last year we had yr4 SWL and my DD ballet teacher spoke with the Head of the JA program.  Our ballet teacher was very kind to make this contact. Mrs Sylvia Hubbard gave very constructive feedback pointing to where the focus should be to fix the shortcoming.  My DD then was able to focus on the area and showed improvement. 

I understand that JA would not be able to speak with parents but will respond to a professional enquiry from a ballet teacher x

Thank you - I'll ask her teacher to contact them. Well done again to your DD xx

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ButterflyBallerina said:

I ordered dd a size 1 it's arrived today and is far too big for her ? 

Will have to order the 0 

Not sure if to send this one back or save it for next year ! 

Have I read correctly they still end of year 6 once they have a place ? 

X

If you don't mind me asking what size clothes does your DD normally wear - my DD has got a year 5 place and want to order her uniform but it's so difficult trying to guess when no idea what the sizes come up like ??  I'm thinking size 0 as she is quite small for her age x

9 hours ago, Starshine said:

If you don't mind me asking what size clothes does your DD normally wear - my DD has got a year 5 place and want to order her uniform but it's so difficult trying to guess when no idea what the sizes come up like ??  I'm thinking size 0 as she is quite small for her age x

My dd is the same year 5 place but small for her age 

She wears age 7 in next and between a 5-6 and 7-8 river island 

She wears a 6-7 in the mirella Leo range

The size 1 bags in places so is quite big in her 

It's a different material to her others and defiantly a lot bigger than her others 

Hope that helps ?

X

23 hours ago, Annasophia said:

Ladies, if it helps, it is also possible to get RBS JA audition feedback.  Last year we had yr4 SWL and my DD ballet teacher spoke with the Head of the JA program.  Our ballet teacher was very kind to make this contact. Mrs Sylvia Hubbard gave very constructive feedback pointing to where the focus should be to fix the shortcoming.  My DD then was able to focus on the area and showed improvement. 

I understand that JA would not be able to speak with parents but will respond to a professional enquiry from a ballet teacher x

Thanks for this! I have now asked my daughter's teacher to follow it up and see if we can get some feedback.

• Like 1

On 22/06/2017 at 10:08, Balletmummy28 said:

I heard it was 1,300 applicants this year as well with only 11% chance of getting a place which is just tiny!

My dd got JA's last year (Y4) and I know this sounds awful but at the time I was so shocked and actually rang RBS to make sure they hadn't made a mistake! She was not overly flexible (couldn't do box splits, touch her toes etc) and only ever got high merits in her ballet exams. Her best friend was completely the opposite (very flexible and always getting distinctions) and yet has tried to get into JA's for two years running and never been successful. What my dd does have is bucket loads of enthusiasm and a wonderful performance quality (you only have to look at her to see how much she loves to dance) and a very slender physique with long legs and very arched feet. I know it's only my opinion but I do think physique and "the look" has something to do with it, as well as obviously potential.

What I am trying to say is please don't be disheartened if you got a No this time. There are plenty of amazing dancers out there who were never JA's and are still training in top vocational schools and following their dreams. My dd's friend that I've mentioned is an Elmhurst Associate so it also goes to show that all the schemes/schools really do look for different things!

Hi Baletmummy28, my DD will be starting at JA3 (year5) at 12 noon, which group is your daughter going to be next year?  Is it a mixed  group yr4/5 boys and girls?  Very excited to join the class. :)

• Like 1

On 25/06/2017 at 10:20, Balletmum55 said:

The tracksuits come up big. The jackets are not too bad actually but the bottoms are very wide indeed!!!!   My dd had the age 7-8 throughout JAs (the jacket still fits her and she's 11!). The bottoms got a little short for her, especially at the end of year 6 ? but still loads of width room!

A heads up though ....  The bottoms this year are totally plain and haven't got the royal logo on as apparently they've decided against it so I've returned the bottoms and just bought the new zip up this time and am going to get some slimmer fitting plain navy bottoms that are more flattering xxx 

Hi Balletmum55 did you have any luck getting some navy joggers? The RB ones have arrived and are humumgous!! I'm going to return them. I would've thought they'd be a slim fit given the girls they are accepting into JA... 

• Like 4

Yes what lovely news :D

(has given me hope, but trying not to get hopes up too much - who knows how many there are on these SWLs..!! I guess we'd have heard by now?!)

Edited by Splitz17
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Littlebear said:

Hi Balletmum55 did you have any luck getting some navy joggers? The RB ones have arrived and are humumgous!! I'm going to return them. I would've thought they'd be a slim fit given the girls they are accepting into JA... 

No haven't got any yet, I'm thinking Zara or Abercrombie as both a slim fit so will keep my eye out. 

? Humungous is the right word! They are  ridiculous aren't they for the target audience! ? 

Mind you, my dd gave up on them most of year 6 and wore leggings, shorts or jeans most of the time, as did a lot of the girls, so I may not even get joggers. 

I would have bought them and had them tailored to size to keep the RBS logo, but without it I can't see why anyone will buy them as they remind me of MC Hammer pants ? ... or perhaps that's just showing my age!! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Splitz17 said:

Yes what lovely news :D

(has given me hope, but trying not to get hopes up too much - who knows how many there are on these SWLs..!! I guess we'd have heard by now?!)

Deadline for acceptance is Friday, so hopefully there will be a bit more movement after that xx

• Like 3

19 hours ago, MoreExcited said:

We just had the royal phone call!!!! Offered a yr 4 place at Birmingham JAs. still shaking with excitement, so incredibly proud! DD was on SWL for Bath & Birmingham...hold on in there if on SWL, it can happen!!!! 

Oh! Congratulations! Well done!

On 25 June 2017 at 08:25, Annasophia said:

Who did you contact? My DD's teacher wants to do this, but we're not sure who we should email. Or should it be done by phone?

Congratulations to all that got off the SWL!

10 minutes ago, sarahw said:

If it's any help i used to buy boy's joggers for my dd at that age as the shaping is better for skinnies.

Ooh good tip! 

I've had these before in grey and lovely slim fit. They do them in navy and look like a good colour match x 

https://m.zara.com/uk/en/sale/kids/girl-|-4-14-years/leggings-and-trousers/basic-plush-trousers-c0p4261670.html

• Like 1

Had a whirlwind few days whilst the news sinks in are there any others on here with DD/DS starting yr 4/5 Birmingham? DD was one of the youngest to audition at her centre so I'm hoping she will make friends quickly, she would have known a few at Bath but no one at Birmingham. She's completely calm about it lol, it's me who feels nervous for her!