RBS Junior Associates 2017

Balletmumlife

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking on facebook, I'm wildly guessing that they have batched by year group - seen some Y6 girls but nothing for Y4 or 5.

DD at ballet class - me accepting that I AM just going to sit and obsess while muttering 'patience is a virtue' and trying to read the entrails as to whether later is better... Just hope we're not still doing this in 24hrs time...

• Like 1

Hadn't thought to have a nosey on Facebook! We are Year 4 too, but for Leeds. What makes it worse is that another student at my daughters dance school has had her reply (a no) so it's beginning to frustrate her knowing that someone else has got theirs for the same centre. Just that she ended up having to audition in London so now got to play the waiting game :(

Edited by sunrise81

Sorry to hear it's a no Dancer123. But your dd has done amazingly well to be doing YDA and to get into Tring!! Don't give up the dream just yet....

But I know how horrible that 'no' is, especially when you get your hopes up. Something else will come along to give you another boost -

and so the rollercoaster rolls on! :rolleyes:

Edited by Splitz17
  • Like 2

How odd they wouldn't send all the results on the same day. I have heard of a Yr 5 SWL (girl). Haven't heard any yeses for girls yet so maybe it will indeed be worth the wait. V strange though.

1 hour ago, Dancer123 said:

We got a NO for a Year 6 London place.Thought we had a chance as got Short Waiting List year before & have invested so much time in doing more classes!!feeling a bit rubbish & have not told DD yet as she is at ballet but she will be fine.Think I have to realise we need to scale things back & concentrate on school & focus on ballet as more of a hobby. It so competitive we just can't keep up! Good Luck to everyone else & if you got a Yes that's such an amazing achievement!!!

We got a no for year 6 too - DD is absolutely fine thank goodness! It's a tough process, and agreed it can make you feel quite despondent - but I'm focusing on how proud I am of DD - I'd never have had the guts to audition for anything when I was 9! She's happy at YDA too. Shame they haven't got the resources to give a little more feedback, it was heartening to get that when she applied for Tring. 

Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear, hopefully lots of yeses! Fingers crossed for you all xx

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Dancer123 said:

Think the later you hear in the day the better!!! I will the deliver the news with a positive spin!!she is very happy at YDA! Think I had got it in my head we had a chance because of waiting list place previous year!! but to get a NO after that seemed hard to  take in!!

I'm sorry to read this.  There's more to the dance world than RBS though and she's still young xxx

• Like 3

My dd was a no as well. She got in NYB, Tring CBA, Hammond associates,YDA associates so just shows they must be after a certain thing. Not sure what but good luck to the yes's. Not sure I will suggest for my dd to audition again next year. That wait was a killer :) My dd did not seem bothered. I think they just want to dance dance dance!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Ms Sunshine said:

My dd was a no as well. She got in NYB, Tring CBA, Hammond associates,YDA associates so just shows they must be after a certain thing. Not sure what but good luck to the yes's. Not sure I will suggest for my dd to audition again next year. That wait was a killer :) My dd did not seem bothered. I think they just want to dance dance dance!

Sorry to hear this, but she's obviously very talented. Congratulations on getting a yes from all those places (and good luck with choosing between them, if you have to!) I have heard that many that graduate at the RBS come close to the end, but, as someone else said, RBS is not the only way to become a good professional dancer in the long run. Good luck to us all still waiting!

• Like 2

Just a little musing. My friend went to White Lodge lower and upper schools. She was impressively good but still didn't manage to make it her career. In fact she was so scarred by the whole experience she never danced again after 18...? I think you have to go into it with open eyes, the competition, especially from countries such as China at the minute is astounding. At least we can be super proud that our DS/DD's were a part of it. my DS is still going round wearing his RBS wrist band he bought on the day and hopefully he will spend his nights dreaming of dancing still...??? He's dancing at a summer fete this weekend and think he's as excited as if it were Covent Garden! ???? xx

• Like 13

A 'no' here too for y5. Two years in a row now. ? Feeling discouraged, but I'm sure  dd will take it well. She had a great time auditioning and both times came out all smiles.  Good luck to those still waiting. Anyone know if the y4 London emails have gone out? 

• Like 1

You are so right Mrs Moo about keeping things in perspective. At the moment, it's my 10-yr-old's 'dream' to be a dancer - that could all change of course, esp. with puberty (!) but up till that point, the way I see it is it's up to us as parents to facilitate the opportunities as much as possible, just as we would later on if she wanted to become a doctor (not likely!!) or whatever. But yes, fiercely competitive that's for sure. I'm trying to play it all down, to keep emphasising her love of dance and celebrating her achievements. It's hard though - am definitely more obsessed with it all than she is!! (I suppose it's a bit of escapism from the daily grind!  ;) )

Sorry Tiredtoes about the no.

Great news sunrise81 about SWL. More waiting for us! :wacko:

Edited by Splitz17
  • Like 3

It's a SWL for Birmingham for my DD (Y4). We're still really proud of her and who knows what is around the corner. They say she'll be on the list for the whole first term. (Also she did get the CBA at Tring, and we'll try again next year. It was her first audition after all ;-) )

Congratulations to all those who got in. I wish you the best!

Edited by Meglorien
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, margarite said:

I do agree with you Mrs Moo, they just want to dance don't they?! 

Sounds like all the results are finally coming through, fingers crossed for those waiting xx

Yep, and as long as my DS is happy, I'll continue to pay for his lessons...??? xxxx

• Like 3

Came home from a busy few work days away to DD2's Totnes result - an unsurprising no! She is absolutely fine and  very happy she can carry on with her regular Saturday morning class with friends. I am the one feeling disappointment...knew it would be no as she's all long body/short legs but all the while you're waiting there is always that tiny glimmer of hope...?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, sunrise81 said:

Has anyone gone on to get a place from the SWL? And how short is short? Sorry......these were questions for DD asked and I couldn't answer. Thought you ladies may know! 

I think somebody earlier in the thread said they got offered a place in July. But it's my first time too, so I don't know. I didn't see any Yes for y4 in London, which is surprising. Not everybody is on the forum, but still...

I told my dd we'd see it as an encouragement to keep working, but we would otherwise count it as a "not yet" and be nicely surprised if we do get an offer later. Of course, it's easier for the dd when you got a yes from somewhere else...

Xanthe, I like your girl's attitude. We'll see you next year at the auditions again ;-) After all, if they only take 10-15%, that's a rather small number of people and even a no is not a stamp. We have a friend in y6 who got a no, but got a yes to Elmhurst and has just performed in Swan Lake with EYB.

• Like 1

I know of one Y4 who has SWL for London who was at the audition with DD. 

Anyone know if it's true that there were 1800 applications this year?

We have a couple of big MT auditions in the pipeline for the Autumn so DD is working towards those which helps. 

I heard it was 1,300 applicants this year as well with only 11% chance of getting a place which is just tiny!

My dd got JA's last year (Y4) and I know this sounds awful but at the time I was so shocked and actually rang RBS to make sure they hadn't made a mistake! She was not overly flexible (couldn't do box splits, touch her toes etc) and only ever got high merits in her ballet exams. Her best friend was completely the opposite (very flexible and always getting distinctions) and yet has tried to get into JA's for two years running and never been successful. What my dd does have is bucket loads of enthusiasm and a wonderful performance quality (you only have to look at her to see how much she loves to dance) and a very slender physique with long legs and very arched feet. I know it's only my opinion but I do think physique and "the look" has something to do with it, as well as obviously potential.

What I am trying to say is please don't be disheartened if you got a No this time. There are plenty of amazing dancers out there who were never JA's and are still training in top vocational schools and following their dreams. My dd's friend that I've mentioned is an Elmhurst Associate so it also goes to show that all the schemes/schools really do look for different things!

• Like 10

11 hours ago, sunrise81 said:

Has anyone gone on to get a place from the SWL? And how short is short? Sorry......these were questions for DD asked and I couldn't answer. Thought you ladies may know! 

There are usually one or two children in a class who have got in off the swl. A 'no' or an 'swl' can become a 'yes' eventually if you keep heading in the right direction with good teaching etc...

• Like 2

18 hours ago, sunrise81 said:

Yey! Short Waiting List for Year 4 Leeds. So proud of her as it was her very first audition!!! 

12 hours ago, sunrise81 said:

Congratulations sunrise81. 

My DD got SWL for London in year 6 and for MAs but unfortunately did not get a place from the wait list. I have no idea how long the list is, and they don't give that info out, as I have asked!

Fingers crossed someone gives up a place for your DD.

• Like 2