RBS Summer School a ticket to profession?

thewinelake

The SS applicants are accepted or not via photos. As such I imagine that physique, flexibility of feet/limbs and turn out play a big part in the selection. All of these physical qualities are desirable and necessary for a vocational student. But, musicality, artistry, intelligence and the will to work really hard can't be measured by photos. 

• Like 8

I'm interested to know why a place at any summer school would be ticket to a dancing career? I guess it is networking, and I would love to have been accepted to RBS one, but there aren't any company/school directors watching class and best case scenario would be a place at RBS... Which in itself is not a ticket... As many are assessed out, injured, change their minds or simply can't find work. Yes, it would increase one's chances, but nothing is definite in ballet 

There may well be a correlation, but I doubt there's a causative relationship. Many of the features that the RBS will be looking for in SS selection are the same as those that the full time schools will be after, so it's not entirely surprising that there is a degree of overlap between those populations. 

• Like 4

It certainly can happen but with the large number of children who attend the various summer schools, including WL and Elmhurst, compared to the very small number of places actually available, I wouldn't go thinking that a WL SS place will definitely mean a future career.  There are so many permutations out there and not one single guarantee.  You need to remember that not all Y7 entrants to either WL or Elmhurst (or indeed Tring and Hammond) will necessarily stay all the way through the Lower schools, let alone get into an upper school and then graduate straight into a company.  My DD is one of those offered a place from a SS but she had auditioned and got through to finals two years in a row first before being offered her place.  The only advice I can offer, given to us from her associates teacher, is to continue putting your DC in front of those audiences you think may help them achieve their dreams, knowing that this may not happen in the way you originally thought.  As others have said, there really are many roads to travel to Rome and just try to enjoy the view on your journey, whichever route it may take you.

• Like 7

In view of the fact that there must be quite a few overseas Forum members reading this thread, it is worth mentioning that attendance at the more well known Summer Schools is just a way for some of our DC to see where others are fortunate to be training and to experience the teaching and surroundings. They know they can never study there.

It is worth remembering that some of us will get no help with funding for our DC, even if they are lucky enough to be offered a full-time place.

Our local government will not help out with grants until our DC are 18 years old. Prior to this age, they are expected to do a 2 year Performing Arts BTECH. I'm not convinced this is the best way to prepare for auditions on a classical ballet course …..

So there will be some attendees at Summer Schools who will never train vocationally, or who can only audition after they are 18, which may well rule out most classical ballet courses.

• Like 2