Royal Danish Ballet season 2017/18

Next season in Copehagen includes;

Raymonda, produced by Nikolaj Hubbe

A full-evening Queen of Spades by Liam Scarlett

A new version of the Kylian evening Silk and Knife

Reruns of Swan Lake, Giselle, Kim Brandstrup's Shaken Mirror, Balanchine's Nutcracker, Akram Khan's Vertical Road

A new piece for the RDB School by Gregory Dean

A portrain of Sorella Englund

AND

A week's Festival in the first week of June, including Napoli but not limited to the Bournonville repertoire.

Full details here

Edited by Jane S
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, John Mallinson said:

Thanks. In 2004/05 half the RDB programmes were Bournonville though it was a festival season so maybe not typical. Do the festivals still run? In the UK we are starved of Bournonville.

I think that was probably a uniquely Bournonville-packed season, John, as they had to get so many ballets back on to the stage . The next season, so far as I remember, they only did Kermessen in Bruges and maybe one other and that has been the rule ever since.

There were 3 Bournonville Festivals, 13 years apart, and #4 would have been next year - but Hubbe doesn't like the concept as he thinks it reinforces the impression in the outside world  that the Danes only do Bournonville. The plan for a week that shows off a selection of work from the whole season is actually a return to an older custom and it will be interesting to see how it works. (Though I do think they might have given Napoli a run earlier in the season rather than just putting it on for 1 performance.)

Edited by Jane S
  • Like 1

On 2017-4-26 at 21:47, Jane S said:

There were 3 Bournonville Festivals, 13 years apart, and #4 would have been next year - but Hubbe doesn't like the concept as he thinks it reinforces the impression in the outside world  that the Danes only do Bournonville.

If this is Hubbe's thought than that is regrettable, yet understandable. The Bournonville style is a treasure, and one I would love to see more of, as would many. Another festival devoted to it would be wonderful. 

• Like 5