RB Symphonic Dances Insight event online

I was there tonight and it was a very interesting evening.  I was really impressed with Giacomo Rovero (currently in his first season as an Aud Jensen dancer);  it would seem that Liam Scarlett has got it right in offering this young dancer a chance to do an extended solo with the very experienced Laura Morera.  I really think it's going to work well if tonight was anything to go by.  

The second rehearsal with Morera and Matthew Ball was also really good and involved some difficult lifts;  it isn't until you see them being rehearsed from so close up that you realise how much effort it takes to get these things right.  It is also fascinating to be reminded of just how much goes into every single move of a ballet - we sit back and watch the dancers make it look so easy onstage, but it is always humbling to be reminded of exactly how much work and effort is put in by everyone involved. 

There was a good Q&A session after they stopped broadcasting....I wonder why they don't broadcast that bit?  

• Like 11

I have to say that I am becoming weary of new choreography which is so very dependent on lifts.  Technically complex it may be but it is getting to the point where I want to shout out "Put her down love..."

Morera is perfectly capable of dancing on her own two feet and it might be good to give her a more of an opportunity to do so

They were only doing bits of the pdd which had been completed, so until I see those bits in full context I can't judge how much of the whole involves lifts.  Liam said that only 50% of the piece has been choreographed thus far.  

• Like 3

Sorry if I'm showing my ignorance as to how these things work, but I am a little surprised to read that Symphonic Dances is only about 50% choreographed. Isn't this cutting it rather fine for rehearsing and refining a work that lifts off in less than a month? 

10 hours ago, Sim said:

There was a good Q&A session after they stopped broadcasting....I wonder why they don't broadcast that bit?  

I watched, and enjoyed, online this time.

I'm actually pleased for the paying audience in the Clore that they get a Q & A to themselves. It would be interesting to hear it from afar, of course, but I do rather feel that the focus of the Insights has shifted towards the cameras, sometimes at the expense of those who are there.

• Like 6

Really enjoyed this: it's always such a pleasure to see Liam Scarlett working with his dancers and when he demonstrates his movement and intensity are still really beautiful (I'd observed that at the Frankenstein Insights Evening too).

Big kudos to him for selecting Giacomo Rovero who was really impressive to watch.

Very pleased to be seeing this next month.

• Like 9

I was there too and felt very privileged to see the choreography still at the working stage. I was in a wheelchair and must say how considerate the lady operating the camera was. She was checking all the time that she wasn't obscuring my view. Laura was so considerate with Giacometti, he must learn so much from working with someone of her experience and talent. A young man to watch. I am really looking forward to the In Conversation with Liam Scarlett next month. 

• Like 3