New Thread

Nicola H

Just now, taxi4ballet said:

There really isn't any need to be so sarcastic. 

The point is that most people are unlikely to have actually had a conversation with someone who is trans about their preferred terminology (I've read quite a few threads on MN about this issue and I'm aware that it is huge) and it seems that it doesn't matter how much we try, some people will always end up taking offence where none was intended.

mumsnet ? 

that place is a  nest of vipers when it comes to gender and sexuality  topics ... 

i think  the important things people need to remember  in such things  are 

1.  you use someone's name  and you use it properly   no  quote marks,  'so-called'  -   unless it is clear they are  portraying a character  ( e.g.  Drag  is performance )
2. be careful of 'deadnaming ' (binary ) transpeople  -   the 'deadname'  is the  pre transition  name  
3. gendered assumptions are hurtful  -  even  for  cisgender people  - why shouldn;t  people  learn  things which are historically   or  classically   the preserve of  the other  gender?  -   see comments in the tap thread along the lines of  ' it doesn;t matter  if boys do tap as they don;t need  the ankles to do pointe '  ...  (  even  disregarding my  gender identity,  this would still be something i would raise having worked  as a  man  in Nursing ) 
4. various words  used to describe people are slurs  ,  people  seem to have no issue getting this with regard to  race  and religion and to some extent in the use of  slur words against ciswomen 

5.  cisgender is not  an insult  it;s a statement  of fact,  where  cis or trans is directly relevant to  an issue. 

6 . sex (  the bits you were born with) , gender identity  (  how you  feel and identity)  and sexuality  are seperate and you can;t make  assumptions on the others based on one thing 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mph said:

mumsnet ? 

that place is a  nest of vipers when it comes to gender and sexuality  topics ... 

i think  the important things people need to remember  in such things  are 

1.  you use someone's name  and you use it properly   no  quote marks,  'so-called'  -   unless it is clear they are  portraying a character  ( e.g.  Drag  is performance )
2. be careful of 'deadnaming ' (binary ) transpeople  -   the 'deadname'  is the  pre transition  name  
3. gendered assumptions are hurtful  -  even  for  cisgender people  - why shouldn;t  people  learn  things which are historically   or  classically   the preserve of  the other  gender?  -   see comments in the tap thread along the lines of  ' it doesn;t matter  if boys do tap as they don;t need  the ankles to do pointe '  ...  (  even  disregarding my  gender identity,  this would still be something i would raise having worked  as a  man  in Nursing ) 
4. various words  used to describe people are slurs  ,  people  seem to have no issue getting this with regard to  race  and religion and to some extent in the use of  slur words against ciswomen 

5.  cisgender is not  an insult  it;s a statement  of fact,  where  cis or trans is directly relevant to  an issue. 

6 . sex (  the bits you were born with) , gender identity  (  how you  feel and identity)  and sexuality  are seperate and you can;t make  assumptions on the others based on one thing 

If you had read this thread properly, you will notice that I have been completely supportive of Sophie_Rebecca and also the decision by the RAD.

By the way, since you mention it, I don't personally like the term cis and do consider it to be an insult. But I don't suppose my views count do they?

1 hour ago, taxi4ballet said:

If you had read this thread properly, you will notice that I have been completely supportive of Sophie_Rebecca and also the decision by the RAD.

By the way, since you mention it, I don't personally like the term cis and do consider it to be an insult. But I don't suppose my views count do they?

What makes you  think the  6 points in question were directed personally  towards you , rather than being sparked by a series of comments  made. 

What  term would you  prefer instead of cisgender ?  especially one that  does not imply  that  cisgender is  somehow better / more natural / more normal than transgender ?   Systemic  discrimination  is and remains a significant problem   when  people refuse to  accept  underlying science ... 

mph - I am the sort of person who is happy for everyone to live their lives however they wish, as long as it does not have a negative effect on mine - and as long as they afford me the same courtesy. It can consequently become rather frustrating to be trying to do the right thing, and be met with antagonism and confrontation.

As for 'cis'... if trans people use it in general conversation when specifically referring to everybody who isn't trans, fine. Otherwise some might say there's not all that much need for it.

41 minutes ago, taxi4ballet said:

<snip>

As for 'cis'... if trans people use it in general conversation when specifically referring to everybody who isn't trans, fine. Otherwise some might say there's not all that much need for it.

cis and trans only  really   gets used when the issue is a  stake otherwise it;s  women / ladies/ girls and men / gnetlemen/ boys  based on how people  identify  , although  that can be argued to  exclude  none binary  and  agender / asexual identities ... 

On 22/04/2017 at 12:44, mph said:

I've been away & off-line, and am just catching up with this thread, but I have to say that I find "Cis" particularly as applied to women, just as offensive as "misgendering" a trans-person. And I also have a real problem with the appellation of Mumsnet - a major site for the community of women - being dismissed as a "nest of vipers" - that does tend to tip over from sexism to real misogyny (is it really SO threatening that around 10,000 women discuss things frankly on the internet?). 

Sex is biological, and cannot be changed.

Gender is a set of socially constructed expectations, assumptions, and behaviours. We confuse sex and gender at our peril.

Most feminists - and I am one (I teach & research women's studies at a research-intensive university amongst other things) - want to get rid of gender, and the boxes that gender ideology tries put people into. The ideologies of gender are particularly harmful to women (sexual violence, murder etc etc etc), but they're also very harmful to men.

Thus my comments earlier about gender stereotypes and ballet: the very problematic statement that IF someone wants to be a "ballerina" they must be female. I think it would be more truly and fundamentally pioneering for a young man or boy to broaden the notion of what it is to be a man or boy, rather than succumb to harmful & limiting gender stereotypes. After all, it's only what women have had to do over the last several hundred years or so - suffering all sorts of hostility & violence in the process ...

I have worked closely with a couple of transexual people - I've seen the level of bodily dysphoria that the condition involves - it's akin to the complete body dysphoria of the anorexic, for example. I think the current focus on the outward and stereotypical signs of gender (Oh she likes boy's games, she's really trans") is deeply harmful to both boys, girls, and those who are dysphoric. It is unfortunate that the whole thing has become such a fashion (for want of a better word) in the same way that anorexia is a kind of fashion. 

So this is just to explain my position & request that we don't use the term "cis-woman" - it's as offensive to women as misgendering a transwoman.

And now back to ballet - and maybe we should celebrate the dancers & choreographers - many of them women - who have tried to break down the limits of gender as a socially-constructed system - in dance: I offer us Martha Graham and Pina Bausch to start with,.

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 3

Sorry although I've seen programmes about this and always been moved by them I'm just not familiar with all the language involved so what is a cis woman ....is that a female who is happy to stay female or a man who wishes to become a woman( as opposed to dressing up in woman's clothes occasionally but doesn't want to physically change sex.

I've been away & off-line, and am just catching up with this thread, but I have to say that I find "Cis" particularly as applied to women, just as offensive as "misgendering" a trans-person. And I also have a real problem with the appellation of Mumsnet - a major site for the community of women - being dismissed as a "nest of vipers" - that does tend to tip over from sexism to real misogyny (is it really SO threatening that around 10,000 women discuss things frankly on the internet?). 

The story I've heard - and it's that infamous - is that many discussion about transgender women on Mumsnet will immediately attract a significant amount of, uh, less than tolerant comment. Maybe you don't know that or maybe you know it to be false? 

As for "cisgender" ("denoting or relating to a person whose sense of personal identity and gender corresponds with their birth sex") being an insult, I really can't work that one out. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Colman said:

The story I've heard - and it's that infamous - is that many discussion about transgender women on Mumsnet will immediately attract a significant amount of, uh, less than tolerant comment. Maybe you don't know that or maybe you know it to be false? 

As for "cisgender" ("denoting or relating to a person whose sense of personal identity and gender corresponds with their birth sex") being an insult, I really can't work that one out. 

Exactly  , it;s a  nest of vipers   with regard to gender identtiy  related topics ,  and  it's said  that there is a lot of support for those  espousing the 2nd wave rad fem  viewpoint of  trans  as  expressed by G. Greer and Jenni Murray among others ... 

The  whole 'cis is an insult'  is a sign of cisnormativity  being  deeply put into the  culture of the west by the  Church . along with the view that people are never  too young to be cisgender and straight ... 

You'll also find the 'meninists'  claiming that   the  descrptions of   behaviours  typically associated with  cisgender  heterosexual  males are  some kind of insult 

42 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Sorry although I've seen programmes about this and always been moved by them I'm just not familiar with all the language involved so what is a cis woman ....is that a female who is happy to stay female or a man who wishes to become a woman( as opposed to dressing up in woman's clothes occasionally but doesn't want to physically change sex.

Cisgender people are people whose gender identity   matches their  physical  sexual bits ...

This is clinical fact , not  a political statement as the  Women's Studies  types  try to imply it is ;  2nd wave feminism is often trans exclusionary and  despite the   statements made by   many  feminists  there are lots of people while post 2nd wave aren;t really on with the intersectional  approach to such things.

Edited by mph

I have never seen intolerance on any of the threads. 

I have seen support for transgender people or parents of those transitioning. I have also seen concern that young people are being pressured into making potentially irreversible decisions on the basis of not liking to do traditionally boyish/girlish things rather than a genuine feeling of being born as the wrong sex. 

One particularly concerning thread was from the mother of a 4 year old child born a boy. She admitted she'd always wanted a girl & dressed the child in girls clothes & only gave girls toys. Understandably the child began to identify as a girl.  She wanted advice on how to get the primary school to accept the child was transgender & she talked about transitioning around the age of 10. 

I actually feel quite offended that i that I am described as part of a nest of vipers. 

Edited by theother51
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, LinMM said:

Thankyou for clarifying that mph just trying to get my head around all the official terms

Sorry Lin, but "cis" is not an official term. It's emerged  (transposed from chemistry studies & according to my science colleagues at work, misapplied) from activism around transgender politics. It suggests that biological or born women are compliant in their gender roles; it also suggests that sex is "assigned" at birth. It's not - sex is a  matter of biology, genes, chromosomes, etc.  You can't really "assign" that, it just is.

"Gender identity" is an inaccurate term as well - it confuses socially constructed & imposed gender stereotyped roles with identity. So - according to the gender roles of the 60s & 70s when I was at school, I should have been good at cooking & sewing, and not maths, science, & history. According to those gender roles, I should have married & had children, instead of becoming a senior person in my field. According to these ideas of gender identity, women shouldn't argue back (I think it's interesting how much mansplaining is going on in this thread); they should be being pleasant, nurturing, helping others. And so on ... 

Frankly "gender" is oppressive rubbish. 

And in dance - to wrench us back on topic - some of the real pioneers have been those women who have challenged the limitations imposed on women in the dance world, as well as beyond. So let's celebrate Isadora Duncan, who wrote about "The Artist of the Future"

The dancer of the future will be one whose body and soul have grown so harmoniously together that the natural language of the soul will have become the movement of the body.  The dancer will not belong to a nation but to all humanity.  She will dance not in the form of a nymph, nor fairy, nor coquette but in the form of a woman in its greatest and purest expression.  She will realize the mission of woman’s body and the holiness of all its parts.  She will dance the changing life of nature, showing how each part is transformed into one another.  From all parts of her body shall shine radiant intelligence, bringing to the world the message of the thoughts and aspirations of thousands of women.  She shall dance the freedom of women.  

or Bronislav Nijinska, the "forgotten" choreographer of Ballets Russe. And so on ...

Edited to add: I suppose my overall point is that the terminology and ideas around 'cis' and 'trans' are in debate at the moment. While this thread & this message board are probably not the place to go into detail about the debates, they are quite important, as some of the more radical activists are proposing changes to our laws which impinge directly on hard won women's rights. In this broader context, sitting an exam as a transgender person is not really the thing that is being debated - it's fine, as is the politeness of calling people by their preferred terms and pronouns. So to keep labelling me as 'cis' is as offensive as labelling Sophie "he."

Edited by Kate_N

It appears the true, 2nd wave,  colours of the Academic are coming out. As well as ignoring the suggestion to start another thread.

As for 'mansplaining ' that'a a typical 2nd wave and if directed at Sophie or Me and also in this case Trans Exclusionary  piece of microaggression.

For the love of God! Why can't people just get on and go about their lives, living it the best way they can.  Why so much antagonism? This is a ballet forum please stick to ballet and campaign elsewhere!! 

Sorry Jan posting with you! 

Edited by Harwel
  • Like 6

Whilst I agree that the debate is no longer on the original topic, I for one have found the robustly held, and well argued viewpoints from all on here who are far better informed than me, very enlightening and informative.  It is difficult to convey nuance and tone online and a passionately held opposing view does not necessarily mean antagonism is intended by anyone.

I know it is the right thing to pull the topic back on course, but one of the delights of a diverse community is the knowledge that can be gained during a diversion, so from me, a thank you to those who have contributed. I for one am now much more aware of the issue and therefore better educated and better able to treat everybody as they would wish to be treated. As an adult learner of dance myself I applaud anyone who puts themselves in for examinations or commits themselves to education. Bravo Dormouse, Sophie, and everyone else who is continuing with lifelong learning in whatever form.

• Like 5

I had been recommended this website by someone on mumsnet as a good place to exchange information, ideas and the ups and downs of being a dance parent.  Unfortunately I see that it has been hi-jacked by those who merely wish to antagonise. 

As you can see from my username which references one of the most diverse shows around at the moment, accepting of all races, sexual orientations and gender I am a believer in tolerance and acceptance but I am not prepared to accept the erosion of my rights and feelings and that of my children.  Unlike Kate I have never thought of myself as a feminist, but I have always been a supported of equality and that includes in the dance and sporting worlds. However I wholeheartedly support Kate and other women like her who do not wish to be called by what they see as an offensive term.

This forum is not for me, it is a shame as it came highly recommended.

• Like 1

Wait, I thought this topic was closed? Does this mean people get to abuse those who obey the closure without fear of contradiction? 

Could I ask the moderators - and I would have hated to impose except one liked the comment above - to move the "offending" section of the thread into a separate one and lock it please? 

I don't want to get involved in the politics of this transgender issue particularly ....especially on a thread about passing ballet exams at an older age etc...but to be fair I believe one of the posters involved in this discussion did suggest that the off topic bit get moved to another thread....obviously on the Not Dance thread!! 

So I don't see why it should be locked ....just as long as not on a thread about ballet.

• Like 1

These posts have been moved to a separate thread because they had taken the topic in which they were originally posted totally off topic.

While there have been many educational comments made the tone of some of the comments comes over as quite aggressive.

This new topic is, therefore, locked.

Please remember the AUP, which states:

" Contributors must be respectful to others. Vulgar, abusive, racist, and sexist language will not be tolerated. Any posts determined by a moderator to be either offensive or potentially libellous or unlawful or to be against the spirit of this acceptable use policy will be removed. The relevant poster’s account may be suspended or banned. If a member chooses to make highly critical comments this must be done in their own full name and not behind an anonymous user name and email address. Forum rules prohibit members from acting disingenuously, including by personation or wilfully misrepresenting themselves. Members who do this face suspension from the forum."

• Like 1