Graduating boys classical ballet exam Vaganova

CeliB

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he had his first performance there yesterday ( or could have been day before yesterday) in Etudes

You do have to laugh at some of those google translations. 

Some of them are basically nonsense I'm sure there's a very strange translation for the ballet Etudes on Oscars post!!

On 03/11/2017 at 05:03, Yaffa said:

Nice to see that Oscar Frame's details are now on the Bolshoi website. The bio is only in the Russian version

https://www.bolshoi.ru/persons/ballet/111111/

Google Translate does a reasonable job, though it gives him some interesting roles in the "Pa de de" in Sleeping Beauty and the "Grand Pa" in Nutcracker. Wishing him all the best...

I'm looking forward to someone developing DeepL for Russian - of the East European languages, it only does Polish thus far :)

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2017 at 18:44, Yaffa said:

The Vaganova Academy just uploaded a video showing the preparations for the 2017 graduating boys' class.  Looks very interesting even though I don't understand what Tsiskaridze is saying.

They just put on Youtube a version with an English voiceover - most interesting:

• Like 7

I know what I’m watching when The Little Mermaid is over! (Fond family memories - a two year old daughter told me she could sing Ariel’s cadenza so I said “Go on then” and she did! That’s when we first realised she could sing).

• Like 1

CeliB (or anyone else) - Do you know anything about the narrow red ankle bands that some of the boys are wearing in the rehearsals? Are they used elsewhere?The melmoth.blog writer isn't sure about this but guesses that Tsiskaridze introduced them as visual aids to assist with correct placement of the feet.

Yes you are quite right- I asked DS when I saw it and he said it is to ensure the toes of the raised leg are placed in the right spot on the standing leg (I'm afraid I don't know enough about ballet to even know the relevant position but I'm sure those of you who do can work it out- or I could ask DS).

I think it is a specifically Tsiskaridze aid, I haven't seen it used elsewhere (and I notice Nikolai's current class has them as well).

DS was *slightly* smug that he didn't have to use them as his placement was considered up to standard...

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

He had a green doublet with a white fur collar and red undershirt, and one red and one green leg, and a (very heavy apparently) cloak. Mask but no wig. So he was one of the 4 chevaliers in the ball scene who was dancing with a sword at one point (and partnering Juliets friends in the silver dresses at another point). He called me as I was going into the cinema to say he was lolling around in his dressing room - it was quite surreal... 

I have to say I absolutely loved the production (quite apart from the thrill of seeing DS on stage).  I had a long chat with DS afterwards and he was giving me the background on some of the dancers, I was quite touched at how thrilled he was that I liked it so much ...

• Like 6

Damn it I've just seen that you can no longer watch from the Bolshoi website .....they don't leave it up very long do they would a week be too much to ask? 

I can imagine it being a bit of a surreal experience talking to your son minutes before he's going to be seen on stage by thousands ...hundreds of miles away!! 

One of the endearing things about Oscar though CeliB is just how unassuming and natural he is considering everything he has achieved.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, LinMM said:

Damn it I've just seen that you can no longer watch from the Bolshoi website .....they don't leave it up very long do they would a week be too much to ask?

Yes :(   I did warn people on the broadcast thread :(

• 2 weeks later...

It's okay Lisa I've already mentioned this in the thread " ones to watch" as chose Oscar as my one to watch!! But it was a coincidence really as only heard he was doing this at the beginning of the week and although I've always thought Oscar would go all the way since I first saw him in class when he was 14 ....learning that he had been so quickly offered this plum role at the Bolshoi seems to indicate he has sort of officially arrived as it were!! 

Its a lovely photo isn't it he really looks the part! I'm sure he was absolutely fine ...his brisees are pretty good anyway!

Im hoping mum will report back on how it went but think the family are still in Russia.

• Like 4

Just about made it back - flying out through a blizzard (I honestly thought we'd be grounded but the Russians are clearly made of sterner stuff!).

Delighted to say we got free tickets to watch the performance (just as well since last minute flight and visa costs require an extra mortgage!) - in the stalls about half way back so a plum position. I have to say I was so nervous I gripped DH's hand so hard I think he almost ended up with gangrene in his fingers...O's partner was Maria Vinogradova and he was thus very lucky to get extra tips from Vasiliev who came to watch rehearsals :) I honestly don't know enough to tell if it was a good performance but he didn't fall over or drop his partner and the audience clapped ha ha so that was me happy :) The director said he was happy with it ('very good' was the verdict which I understand is fairly decent praise) and so did his teacher so I guess that means it was ok. The performance overall was magnificently opulent- I couldn't quite believe I was really there (and now back in Blighty it honestly feels like I dreamed it).

He has been dancing non stop since he got his proper contract (end Oct) - Etudes, as one of 3 couples contemporary piece for Sergei Filin's 'Rising Stars' gala, one of the chevaliers at the ball in Romeo and Juliet, French Dolls in Nutcracker, and Lilac pages and Bluebird in Sleeping Beauty plus currently in rehearsal for Anna Karenina and Ivan the Terrible (in the corps). And living in a shared flat (3 boys 2 girls) that would be a dead ringer for Withnail's except there are 2 Babushkas who nag them so much they actually do their washing up...and he isn't complaining as it's free... And overall he seems incredibly relaxed and happy.

Nice pic from the curtain call... (and the costume is much nicer than the Mariinsky one I have to say)

27658345_2007231649291579_1419751455_n.jpg?oh=bf584eda7809a79bae91036db83ee88b&oe=5A7A6D7F

• Like 20

Wow, how fantastic! Great picture too, and I agree about the costume!

By the way, I don't think I posted at the time but I did watch the graduating class back when you posted it. My three year old came to sit on my lap and commented "this is magic!"

So thrilled for your son after all the ups and downs he's been through. An outstanding acheivement. I'm sure he'll go from strength to strength!

• Like 6

Glad to hear it all went well CeliB no doubt you were doing it all with him!! It's a real tricky little piece though with all those brisees so quite exhausting by the end I think. And learning with a new partner takes a bit of concentration ....and nerves of steel....too. 

I hope he gets another chance at it if they do Sleeping Beauty again in next few months....not sure I understand the Bolshoi programming just yet!! But even if Oscar never did another thing he has danced Bluebird with the Bolshoi Ballet .....quite an achievement!! 

A dancing friend has just gone out to Moscow to work with the Bolshoi Opera ( she choreographs the dance bits in operas) She arrived yesterday and said it was about minus 12!! 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...