London: Please help a clueless tourist!

Petunia

I’ve never been “that far east” before, so you might be able to help… this is what I’d like to do if the weather isn’t too bad:

First thing in the morning: a visit to the Geffrye Museum and Garden. From there I’d like to find a nice walking route to the Old Truman Brewery where I want to see Andrej Uspensky’s photography exhibition. Is there anything interesting between the two places worth a detour or should I just take the bus?

If there’s time I’d wander over to Spitalfields Market and then take the tube from Liverpool St Station to Euston Sq.

Or I could walk down Brick Ln to Aldgate East and take the tube from there.

In any case, I’d like to be back at the hotel in time to freshen up and relax because I’ll have to be at the ROH in time for Mayerling.

Hi Petunia - don't think Kingsland Road offers much, though there is Arnold Circus off that road, that might be worth 5mins.

Otherwise after the Truman Brewery, Spitalfields is only 5-10mins walk away, so should be easily doable. Then I'd cut through to Bishopsgate and tube from Liverpool St. Brick Lane just full of tatty curry houses with young men trying to vie for your custom, which if you're either not hungry or sober (or both) can be amusing, if you're not intimidated by that sort of thing. If you're interested in popular music or records in general, Rough Trade East (in a side street off Brick Lane) worth a visit - if you're not, then ignore this last bit.

Thanks Dave, yes, when I looked up Kingsland Road on Google maps it didn't look so appealing.

Your description of Brick Lane sounds a bit like some places nearby where I live, if you exchange "Curry" for "Döner"...;) so I think I'll follow your suggestion and have a look at Spitalfields.

Just to say the Geffrye Museum is one of my favourites.  It is such a beautiful building, and apart from anything else it has an excellent cafe.  I don't know what date you are intending to visit, but on certain days they do tours of the Almshouses which are worth seeing.

The Geffrye is lovely! The whole site is so peaceful and charming. Very beautiful  period gardens, there was a huge wisteria in full bloom and even a rose.

Afterwards I took a bus to the Old Truman Brewery to see Andre Uspenski’s Photographies, I liked some of them very much, I wish I were rich…! The ones I liked most were not your typical dancer’s photos but quite dramatic images with strong contrasts. If you are in London you should take the opportunity and have a look at them.

• Like 3