Press Release: ACE dance and music bring acclaimed production TEN to The Place, London.

ACE dance and music bring acclaimed production TEN to The Place

Birmingham based black-led dance company ACE dance and music, headed by influential Artistic Director Gail Parmel is to return to the capital’s leading contemporary dance venue, The Place this month for a single performance.

In a celebration of 20 years of creating and touring dance shows, ACE have reunited with choreographer José Agudo, who has worked with Akram Khan Company since 2011, to make an extraordinary new piece  - TEN.

e4d85f6a-221c-426e-8993-49c16407f095.jpg

Set against the backdrop of a world riven with conflict and the movement of millions from their homes to new lands, TEN explores the relationship between two brothers whose destinies are not those that they once dreamed of.

TEN continues the legacy of A Thousand Shepherdscombining contemporary dance with an essence of Flamenco, Kathak, Martial Arts and Ballet with ACE’s inimitable Afro-fusion style, Agudo produces dance that is visceral, impassioned and compelling.

Agudo’s background has made him acutely aware of the challenges faced by individuals in positions of change.

"I grew up in Spain but I’m now in England. It was a necessity for me to discover other things. During the experimental stages of creation, I put dancers in unfamiliar situations, where they feel uncomfortable or vulnerable. I want dancers to explore psychological freedom and be strong.”

Artistic Director of ACE dance and music Gail Parmel says of TEN

"A powerful moving journey, of community, dictatorship, struggle, loss and hope.  We hope that this production touches the heart and moves you as you are taken on a journey reflecting the world around us." 

Tickets priced £16 or £12 for concessions are available for the performance on 25 April at 20.00 through The Place – box office on 0207 121 1100 or via www.theplace.org.uk

Cast: Clara Baldwin, Nathan Dorian Bartman, Vanessa Guevara, Tom Tindall, Sophia Priedel, Christopher Radford, Iona White

Artistic Directors: Gail & Ian Parmel
Choreographers: José Agudo & ACE dance and music
Composers: Guiliano Modarelli & Beautiful Noise (Vincenzo Lamagna)

Notes to Editors 
  • Established in 1996 and based in Birmingham, UK, ACE dance and music is a black-led dance company and is a leading national and international contributor to the growth of a vibrant and uniquely British contemporary dance aesthetic rooted in African and Caribbean culture.
  • ACE dance and music’s Artistic Directory, Gail Parmel, was nominated as one of the Cultural Leadership programme ‘50 Women to Watch’ and voted one of 20 Inspirational Women from the African Diaspora in Europe (ADIPWE).
  • The company’s long-term international partnerships and collaborations enrich its contribution to the English and British dance scene. This includes professional touring shows, youth dance training and performance, master classes and community outreach.
  • ACE enjoys long-standing collaborations with a number of international choreographers including Jose Agudo, who has returned to develop TEN alongside ACE’s Artistic Director, Gail Parmel, following the 2015 sell-out tour of MANA.
www.acedanceandmusic.com