Anyone fearing withdrawal symptoms when the RB's run of Jewels ends on Friday could pop over to Copenhagen on Saturday and see the Royal Danish Ballet's first night!

They haven't danced it before so everyone is new to it - there are some nice photos online and although unfortunately the company seems to have stopped adding captions to identify the dancers, anyone who's caught the recent online Giselle or R&J will recognise at least some of them,.

I'm hoping to see a performance later in the run, but if someone sees it before then, please report back!

• Like 5

It sounds lovely. They are a very fine company.

On two related notes: I caught their ballet Gala in late March in Copenhagen, and it was fantastic. Likewise their televised/internet broadcast of Giselle!

I'm therefore eagerly awaiting their 2017/18 Season announcements...Should be very soon, if last few year's announcements anything to go by?

DonQFan told me that it'll be on Facebook.

I don't recall seeing biographies, Danes are by nature very modest people. Maybe they think it is bragging or unseemly to show bios. I wonder if any of the programmes I have mentioned bios. Members can help here with names to watch if you need!

• Like 1

There was a link to the right page on the theatre's website this morning but I can't find it now - worth checking here again in the morning, or otherwise, as mentioned above, try the theatre's Facebook page.

NB it's at 10.00 Danish time, i.e. 9.00 UK time. Also it's for the whole theatre - ballet, opera and drama.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is very much a PPS but I went to see this last Friday - it was wonderful. And extra wonderful to see it in the old opera house too. OK - comparisons are odious I know, but I've seen it once with NYCB, twice with the Royal, once with Berlin (with new costumes) and now with the RDB...ok, nothing can possibly beat the OTT thrill of when I saw Osipova and MacRae, but overall I enjoyed the RDB the best. Theirs was the best Emeralds in terms  of "milkiness" and dreaminess...Rubies was a knock-out with a jazzy jokiness that had us laughing...and Diamonds simply dazzled! 

• Like 5

The long answer is (takes deep breath) "I didn't get a program and lost the cast sheet in a bar and can't remember a single name but sometimes it's nice just to sit back and sort of not care who's dancing 'cos I over obsess when I'm at Covent Garden and...".

The short answer is (red with shame) "Dunno".

Forgive!

Edited by Vanartus
Omission

The info might be grabbable from the website...but could have slipped from view. I remember the main guy from Rubies was the/a new hot Dane (that sounds professional!...) and I think the ballerina role in Diamonds was an American...

Just attended Jewels in Copenhagen performed by Royal Danish Ballet, having been in the city coincidentally. I must say I am thrilled at the performance I saw. I dont think I have seen any Balanchine before and delighted that my first experience was such a high quality one.

I won't from laziness detail all the dancers names and just say every piece I saw was exquisitely performed and communicated but I will mention in particular Holly Jean Roger and Gregory Dean in Diamonds who displayed the sort of flawless brilliant ecstacy that made the hair stand up.

I still cant quite the words to describe the style except it was quite new and stunning to me. Extreme elegance, almost austere, blended with joy, cheekiness, glamour. 

The smallish (1600 seat) packed theatre was indeed like a jewel box and the effect of the illuminated dancers against pure black or blue so impressive, breathtaking. 

I must thank balletforum yet agaim for great advice and information. Last week it seemed sold out but I found an old thread where a forum user advised checking each day the Royal Danish Ballet web for tickets to appear. I did this and got a ticket, I am very glad I did.

• Like 4

I was there last night, too, and also had a good evening. Big surprise for me was Rubies, which I don't usually enjoy much, but was completely converted by a terrrific performance by the central couple, Ida Praetorius and  Jonathan Chmelensky - he in particular was just wonderful - relaxed, funny, grown-up - if you could imagine middle-period Mukhamedov in the role you'd get some idea. Holly Dorger in Diamonds has moments of absolute splendour - there's a magnificent sweep to some of her movements which takes my breath away - if she could only join the moments up into a complete whole... Always a pleasure to see Gregory Dean too..

• Like 1